The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Single best Single Worst feautures in your camera

PeterA

I am interested to hear what people think is the single best feature in the camera that they have chosen to mount their choice of digital back. I am also interestd to hear what users beieve to be the single worst feature in the same system.

To kick start things - the single best feature ( for me) with H series bodies is the fact that the grip has a rechargeable battery in it that powers both camera and back. The single worst feature is that there are a numbe of tiny buttons lying behind the grip in the front of the body which are difficult for me to access whilst shooting.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Mamiya AFD3 and Phase P45+

I like the lightweight, fast and intuitive handling provided by the excellent ergos, UI, menus and button layout.

My biggest gripe is the relatively short battery life (uses 6 AA's in the grip).

Don Libby

Currently using a Mamiya AFD II and P30+ but will soon be using the newer Mamiya/Phase III.

I agree with Jack the batteries in the body suck – it would be nice to have the same battery as the back.

don

David K

Workshop Member
Seems like a simple question till you start to think about it. The guys at Sinar will kill me after they've spent countless thousands of hours developing the technological state of the art body but for me the single best feature is the viewfinder. Doesn't matter if it's WLF or 45 degree prism... it's just so darn bright that even a blind person (me) can nail manual focus. Worst feature for me is the location of the alternate button for AF. I haven't been a "half-press of the shutter button to focus" guy for a long time and have gotten accustomed to using my thumb to active the alternate AF buttom. On the Hy6 that button is located on the opposite side of the camera (and it's small to boot). I've suggested to Sinar that they modify the firmware to allow the user to select the button of his choice for that function. Apologies in advance to Thierry :)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
The worst thing about the MF camera I DON'T own is the price.

I just spent a week in a workshop at the Maine Media Workshops (which is only an hour away from me) and half the class was shooting film, the other half digital. I was using my M8 for the daily shoots/critiques. I did my digital processing on my laptop and the onsite lab would process film shooter's contacts by breakfast and have prints of the chosen shots for the next day's class critique. My little M8 did extremely well, even when stacked up against MF cameras. The 3D quality, sharpness, and even the B&W conversions I did with it never failed to generate comments.

However, I came away wanting to sell my Nikon system, keep the M8 and buy a larger format camera. The instructor shoots 8x10 film(!), and had a friend of hers stop by to show his work who shoots 5x7 colloidian process!!! (This guy travels around Maine with his Toyota packed with all the wet chemistry to coat plates and develop them after the shot. The stuff is extremely toxic and each plate requires a tremendous amount of preparation. His stuff was phenomenal).

So I began to think about what I could do to move into a larger format. I am considering either a Chamonix (want an Ebony!) or a Hassleblad (like the square). But no darkroom is a problem. So I re-thought MF digital. Crikey! It's expensive!

Sorry for this little intrusion into your discussion, but I think the cost factor is a real issue. I honestly believe that as costs come down, more people like me will take the plunge. In the meantime, I'm grateful to all of you early adopters who churn the market a little and hope to benefit from your cast-offs at some point.

Tim

fotografz

Best on the H is total integration for speed/consistancy/ease. Worst is total integration for use on other MF cameras.

Previous experience with Mamiya AFD-II: Best was flexibility of backs that could be used. Worst was a toss up between poor power supply, lack of WL finder, and use of Metz flash unit.

(Peter, have you investigated the latest ability to customize the H user button to do priority functions while shooting?)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Marc:

You didn't like the way the Metz flash integrated on the Mamiya? (Or was it the Metz flash itself?) I ask because I find the integration and exposure from the Metz 54 on my Mamiya -- with the proper ttl foot -- better than any Canon flash I ever used on any Canon body period. Maybe not up to Nikon in this regard, but definitely very, very good for automated flash -- at least IMO...

Mitchell

I've just been demoing a Hy6 with the 75LV back, courtesy of Steve Hendrix of PPR who is great.

I have to agree with David, the best thing is the viewfinder. You can take a swim in it. It is bright enough to make stopping down to check dof field really useful. I think it is good enough to improve my final images by making me more aware of the full image field.

Over all the camera is a dream ergonomically, the grip and handling are great.

Small DOF in available light coming from an M8 was biggest challenge, and I have to admit I didn't try the obvious solution of shooting at higher ISO.

I shot side by side with the M8, and the Sinar was better in 17x22 inch prints, but I had to look hard to see the difference. It wasn't, in my mind, better enough to justify the huge cost not even including lenses, and the computer upgrade I'd want to handle the files.

My comparison was not scientific, and I'm sure with help and time I could get much better at capturing and printing the files.

So in the end, I hate returning the camera which is such a pleasure to use, but as an amateur who is just beginning to sell prints, I'm holding off, and looking forward to Photokina, and hoping to hear a great price cut announcement from Sinar.

Like others, I want a 22 meg back with a great outdoor viewable screen. I really don't see much besides a few firmware improvements I'd want in the Hy6.

Sorry to be so longwinded.

Best,

Mitchell

Stuart Richardson

I am also using the Hy6, having come to it from film and the 6008AF and 203FE. I have only had it a short while now, so my comments are as I am beginning to learn it, not as one who has mastered it. As such, you should take them with a grain of salt. To me, the best feature is the ergonomics and layout. The camera is superbly designed -- the shutter release is just right, the grip is excellent, and it is easy to change all the pertinent settings quickly and easily. It balances well and it is lighter and more compact than the 6008AF.
The single worst feature is that they still have not been able to make it meter like a Nikon. With the D3, I can get an accurate meter reading in almost all possible situations with little to no effort. It is just spot on. The Hy6 in matrix mode just does not give particularly accurate exposures...neither did the 6008. On the other hand, the 203FE and M7/M8 have center-weighted only meters that seem to be inordinately accurate if you point them at something appropriate. I need to do more experimentation with the Hy6 and the center weighted/spot metering patterns, but I am disappointed that there is not a metering mode that you can just expect to be accurate in all normal situations. I am willing to forgive confusion in backlighting or snowstorms or black sand beaches, but I would like to be able to just not have to worry about metering if I am in a hurry.

By the way, my comments are with respect to the body only. If we are going to bring the back into it...well, there is no getting around the fact that the screen is unspeakably awful, nor that the resolution and color from the photos are breathtaking.

fotografz

Marc:

You didn't like the way the Metz flash integrated on the Mamiya? (Or was it the Metz flash itself?) I ask because I find the integration and exposure from the Metz 54 on my Mamiya -- with the proper ttl foot -- better than any Canon flash I ever used on any Canon body period. Maybe not up to Nikon in this regard, but definitely very, very good for automated flash -- at least IMO...
That is excellent to hear Jack !!! ... my camera was a AFD-II with a Leaf Aptus 75s, and I was using the correct module on the Metz 54 and the ISO defaulted to 100 on the flash. Any ISO was okay as long as it was 100. I went around-and-around with Metz and Mamiya tech support ... and finally gave up.
I even bought a second module and tried both of them on 2 different Metz flashes. Zip difference. In the end, it may have been something to do with the Aptus back ... I really don't know.

One of the best on camera flash control I've used to date is that of the H3D because the camera assumes control of all flash functions and I need not deal with the finicky buttons of the Metz ... plus, get more consistant results than even the D3 with SB900 ... and most certainly better than any Canon I ever used. Flash is very important to me as I shoot weddings in dark places.

woodyspedden

I agree with Peter about the small buttons on the front of the camera being next to useless. For me Hassy solved that problem by allowing customizing the "User" button to provide those functions associated with the front buttons. I set mine to either stop down or mirror up to make life easier.

For me the single best feature about the H3 is the ability to use all the legacy V lenses. These are still some of the finest lenses ever built and one would not want to have to spend the big bucks to replicate them with FujiBlad glass.

The worst feature is that you have to pay $1000 for an adapter to use the V Glass. In fact, all the accessories for the H system are unreasonably expensive IMHO. Obviously a Gillette razor and razor blade analogy applies here.

Woody

mark1958

While we are talking about Flashes here.. I would like to chime in. I have a metz 54, metz 76mz-5, and quantum t5d and have been using each with the H3DII. The metz 54 works well in general in all modes including TTL. The metz 76, which is the newest handle flash made by metz. I know that Marc uses the metz 70. The metz 76 does not work in TTL mode. I always get an overexposed shot and cannot control the flash while in TTL from the camera or flash. I have tried two flashes and two modules. Moreover, I have used the same module with the metz 54, which works in all modes including TTL. I have contacted Metz. The USA support was not very helpful and it took me a long time to actually get a reply (multiple attempts). However, I finally talked (by email) to a senior person in Germany. His response ----TTL mode was not meant to work with digital sensors. I explained that I have had good results with the metz and other flashes with other digital cameras etc. It seems as though something was changed from the metz 70 to 76 and it is kind of sad that Metz is just blowing this off. THe metz 76 does do well in A mode -- even as a fill flash and it is controllable via the camera.

The quantum uses an adapter as well and you need to use the adapter control to change the TTL mode. HOwever, I have not gotten great consistency in TTL mode with this flash either. I did speak to Quantum (they were very responsive-- although their web site needs updating). They said they are making a new adapter for the H3D. SO I asked when they would be available. I was told in honesty Hasselblad has not been responsive to Quantum's request until recently. However as of a month ago it is my understanding that the software changes need to be disclosed to make the new adapter. As of a month ago, they still had not gotten the information they need.
So I am not as pleased as Marc is with the flash. Again the metz 54 works flawlessly but their newer handle flash does not.

That is excellent to hear Jack !!! ... my camera was a AFD-II with a Leaf Aptus 75s, and I was using the correct module on the Metz 54 and the ISO defaulted to 100 on the flash. Any ISO was okay as long as it was 100. I went around-and-around with Metz and Mamiya tech support ... and finally gave up.
I even bought a second module and tried both of them on 2 different Metz flashes. Zip difference. In the end, it may have been something to do with the Aptus back ... I really don't know.

One of the best on camera flash control I've used to date is that of the H3D because the camera assumes control of all flash functions and I need not deal with the finicky buttons of the Metz ... plus, get more consistant results than even the D3 with SB900 ... and most certainly better than any Canon I ever used. Flash is very important to me as I shoot weddings in dark places.

Jeremy

(This guy travels around Maine with his Toyota packed with all the wet chemistry to coat plates and develop them after the shot. The stuff is extremely toxic and each plate requires a tremendous amount of preparation. His stuff was phenomenal).
Tim
Tim, I shoot wet plate and it's really not as bad as you describe. The two big chemicals causing problems are potassium cyanide and ether, but both of these can be substituted out (rapid fix for the KCN and denatured alcohol for the ether--though removing the ether from the mix makes for a much more delicate emulsion). Wet plate is like a 15 minute polaroid; so much fun!

David Klepacki

Camera of choice: Sinar Hy6

Single Best Feature(s): 6x6 Square with Revolving back. Totally subjective, but I prefer this method over sensor rotation. The revolving mechanism is smooth, yet firm. Once experienced, it is hard to accept any other camera.

Single Worst Feature: Lack of focal plane shutter. It almost doesn't make sense to have a fast lens like the 180 / 2.8, and then only be able to shoot it at 1/500 maximum. Other than this, it would be the perfect camera.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Mamiya AFDII: I like the configurability - AF under my right thumb, and so forth. I also like the exposure compensation right on the finder. It could use a vertical shutter release though, and rechargeable Li-Ion batteries. And I still haven't gotten used to the AF/MF switch position. :)

T

thsinar

Nothing to apologize, David!

Feedback is what we need.

Thanks,
Thierry

I've suggested to Sinar that they modify the firmware to allow the user to select the button of his choice for that function. Apologies in advance to Thierry :)

T

tetsrfun

Hasselblad 503CW + CFV....The CFV back got the Hasselblad out of the closet and taking pictures again..the worst is the internal battery.

Steve

EH21

When I got my 110/2 I was thinking the same thing...how could they make a fast lens like that and have maximum speed of 1/500... but you know I've never had a need for faster than that. At first it seems crazy I know, but at ISO 50 its almost never that bright outside (at least here in foggy San Francisco) to need it. Actually I have the opposite problem much more often - wish I could shoot at ISO 800 or ISO 1600 with my back. Of course when the made the lens you could get film at ISO 25 or lower. Didn't they make Kodachrome 6? Anyhow the times when I use 1/1000 with my PQS lenses is mostly with flash.

But getting back to my camera probably the glass for the Rollei system is its biggest advantage but its pretty nice all around. The 6008 AF is a great camera. I also like the exposure and aperture control in 1/3 stops, the egronomics, and all the accessories that are available.

The thing I dislike most is probably the weight of the lenses.

Camera of choice: Sinar Hy6

Single Best Feature(s): 6x6 Square with Revolving back. Totally subjective, but I prefer this method over sensor rotation. The revolving mechanism is smooth, yet firm. Once experienced, it is hard to accept any other camera.

Single Worst Feature: Lack of focal plane shutter. It almost doesn't make sense to have a fast lens like the 180 / 2.8, and then only be able to shoot it at 1/500 maximum. Other than this, it would be the perfect camera.

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
Well, since I use two cameras with my back I'm going twice.
Contax 645
Best for me is it's ability to use a wide range of lenses from both Zeiss and Hasselblad via adapter.
Worst is the fact that, as a discontinued system, you may have difficulty getting some accessories for it and the popular ones can command a pretty steep price.