The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad HM2 vs Hartblei

f8orbust

I was looking for a used Hasselblad HM2 viewfinder (the chimney type) on eBay, but they're all around the $300 mark. However, I came across this Hartblei version (see picture below), that sounds better - adjustable diopter setting, slightly bigger magnification and wider angle of view...all for $129 + shipping.

Does anyone have any experience of the Hartblei finder - in particular are the optics nice and clear, and distortion free (especially towards the edges)?

Thanks.

Jim

Stefan Steib

Jim

of course I´m biased, but we do fit these finders to our HCam-B1 and I have had only positve comments so far from anyone who used it. For this price it´s unbeatable. The original Arsenal version has been reworked by Hartblei, there is new paint, cleaned up the whole thing, make it fit nicely and also check if the lenses and the focusing work properly.
You can buy this from Ebay directly from Ukraine, from the Hartblei.kiev.ua website or from the Hartblei.de/ HCam.de website.

Greetings from Munich
Stefan Steib HCam.de

f8orbust

Thanks for the info Stefan. Sounds great...the only thing against it is weight, 350g vs 90g for the Hasselblad. Sure looks like it's built to last. Come to think of it, it reminds me of something I once saw in a Russian T-34 tank.

Stefan Steib

Jim

I don´t have a small letter scale here at the moment but I think my partner Sergeji has made a very "russian" estimation of the weight. I´d say it is about 200-250 Gr. Of course it is made of full metal AND it has a ground glass fresnell lens which makes the finder superior to the HM2 which does NOT have one. Thus the additional weight I´d say.

Greetings from Munich

Stefan Steib HCam.de

H3dtogo

I have had both and sold of the Hasselblad one. The Hartblei viewfinder is way better than the Hasselblad one. Especially when working on a filed or digital tech cam such as the Hartblaeicam or the sinar/arca.... the difference in viewing pleasure and accuracy in the corners is tremendous.

f8orbust

200 - 250g with adjustable diopter, fresnel lens and good corner visibility ... you've sold me on it ... I'm off to order one.

cunim

Wouldn't it be nice if Hartblei made a similar viewer for the P1 IQ back? Just something that you could hang around your neck and put up to the screen as needed. My Hoodman is junk. Stefan?

cunim

Something like this?
Interesting, but I don't want to attach a frame. Just something with a soft rubber bottom on the viewfinder, so that I can hold it right on the IQ screen. That is what the Hoodman does but it would be nice to have a bit of magnification and better diopter correction.

Ebe

Just got this for my IQ

Product page:
http://www.peakoptics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=103

B&H Link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/40719-REG/Peak_1302038_4x_Loupe.html

Not full screen but light and easy to check focus.
It has no eye cup but keeps out light when your
eye is looking through it, at least with out glasses on.
It works in full sun with the black plastic housing.
Smooth plastic on bottom not rubber, OK if you have a screen protector.
I put a single layer of painters tape over the plastic edge to make a softer edge. The dioper screw has lots of adjustment if you want to use felt or
another thin bumper. It's view covers about 95-97% of the preview when the tools are visible at the same time. I use it for the focus mask, comp, and
highlight warning. With the loop viewing the preview area you can
change the tool you are viewing. (room for your finger to the right of the loop, while viewing), works pretty well for me.
Easy to see whats going on in harsh light.

cunim

Just got this for my IQ

Product page:
http://www.peakoptics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=103

B&H Link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/40719-REG/Peak_1302038_4x_Loupe.html

Not full screen but light and easy to check focus.
It has no eye cup but keeps out light when your
eye is looking through it, at least with out glasses on.
It works in full sun with the black plastic housing.
Smooth plastic on bottom not rubber, OK if you have a screen protector.
I put a single layer of painters tape over the plastic edge to make a softer edge. The dioper screw has lots of adjustment if you want to use felt or
another thin bumper. It's view covers about 95-97% of the preview when the tools are visible at the same time. I use it for the focus mask, comp, and
highlight warning. With the loop viewing the preview area you can
change the tool you are viewing. (room for your finger to the right of the loop, while viewing), works pretty well for me.
Easy to see whats going on in harsh light.
Interesting. I use the Hoodman every day I take the IQ out and it is OK but only that.

I am trying to decide between the Peak and the Schneider 6 x 7 loupe (also at BH). Wonder how either of these will do with 8 x 10. I have dropped my old Macromax too many times and the lens arrangement is now semirandom, so it would be nice to use one new loupe across platforms. 3-4X is a bit low for GG focussing, though.