The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech Cams: Why I like tilt

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Oh well oneday I might aspire to know something about photography and making a decent photograph - Guy..one day..
Lol you know this was directed at anyone. I would just like to see more folks put most of there efforts at getting the art than working the tool. It's a balance that has to be made on what really is important.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Peter I'm not going to get back into this big discussion on this simply because it's not getting understood clearly. But the point here is I teach photography and been on many workshops. I teach with the art of seeing as first and foremost the most important element to photography. Everything else is secondary to this, the issue as I see it is the art is getting left behind in favor of the gear on how important that is in the field and in these forums. I want people to learn photography as a visual art it's as simple as that. I refuse to leave my legacy behind as a tool to use but a visual art to learn.
This is way OT
may be true, but OT it is
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I teach with the art of seeing as first and foremost the most important element to photography. Everything else is secondary to this,
I could not agree more -- :thumbup:

the issue as I see it is the art is getting left behind in favor of the gear on how important that is in the field and in these forums.
Speaking for myself, I see my gear only as the tool kit to create my art, plain and simple. I could probably make do for most of my photography with only a tech cam or only a DSLR. But there are definitely times I like having the speed and portability of the DSLR, and there are other times the only way I can get what I want into the image is by using shifts and/or tilts. One reason I chose the back I chose was precisely because it would allow me to move it between both types of shooting platforms; I knew I would ultimately want movements -- specifically rise and tilt -- and then it took a while for a tech camera to hit the market that had the right layout and feature set to meet my needs.

So right now, I am finally feeling like I have a reasonably complete photographic tool kit, aside from needing a few more tech focals, that allows me to accomplish almost everything I want to accomplish photographically speaking.

But that's me, and I certainly respect others opinions may vary.

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

I could not agree more -- :thumbup:

Speaking for myself, I see my gear only as the tool kit to create my art, plain and simple. I could probably make do for most of my photography with only a tech cam or only a DSLR. But there are definitely times I like having the speed and portability of the DSLR, and there are other times the only way I can get what I want into the image is by using shifts and/or tilts. One reason I chose the back I chose was precisely because it would allow me to move it between both types of shooting platforms; I knew I would ultimately want movements -- specifically rise and tilt -- and then it took a while for a tech camera to hit the market that had the right layout and feature set to meet my needs.

So right now, I am finally feeling like I have a reasonably complete photographic tool kit, aside from needing a few more tech focals, that allows me to accomplish almost everything I want to accomplish photographically speaking.

But that's me, and I certainly respect others opinions may vary.

Cheers,
Yea and your pissing me off I want a tech cam and that is my missing piece. LOL

I actually do have a real need for it and I may just have to make a adjustment in my kit. :bugeyes:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Yea and your pissing me off I want a tech cam and that is my missing piece. LOL

I actually do have a real need for it and I may just have to make a adjustment in my kit. :bugeyes:
hmmm.
I thought that was what was going on :watch:
-bob

Thierry

hi Gareth,

That is the most important, to open the eyes, I agree absolutely with Guy and you here.

However, when it comes to actually take the shot, once one has seen it with the eyes, one better knows the technic and how to use the camera perfectly, being it a (D)SLR or a tech camera, and not start to struggle and to be slowed down by the lack of knowledge.

Thierry

Excellent point Guy and one which should be the grounding of every new/up and coming photographer. Picture first, camera last!

In most situations I have the shot I want visualised in my head and the lighting positioned before I've even got the camera out of the bag and pointed at the scene.

Guy Mancuso

Totally agree Thierry . Know the technics extremely well so you don't have to think about them when your down to shooting , they just come to you. Tech cams are not the easiest thing to learn either. But don't over overburdened yourself and I see that a lot. I see many people in the field talking to themselves which is fine as they learn the way to conquering these beasts. Give yourself the time to learn them well. Tech cams if you never shot 4x5 or 8x10 view cams in the past are a completely different way of working from the DSLR style.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Tech cameras are pretty easy actually.
just consider an image forming lens and a sensor plane, the rest is derivation.
quod erat demonstrandum

it is much harder when you can't wiggle around the important bits.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack

This is exactly the reason , why I believe , that the ARCA 6x9 hood is too small in width . Not in length .
I still doubt , that this hood is sufficient enough to be used with the DIGARON-W 4/40 lens when shifted , say about 10-12 mm . Don't forget , the image angle of that lens is 94 degrees .
You may be right. I will be testing it this weekend and will report back. Keep in mind the front end articulates on the scissor rails and can move up and down and swing a little side to side as well as move in and out -- and generally we only need to shade from one or two adjacent of the 4 quadrants...
Jurgen,

I tested the 6x9 hood on the 40HR-W over lunch today and posted the results here -- it seems to work remarkably well: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=343988#post343988

Cheers,

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Jurgen,

I tested the 6x9 hood on the 40HR-W over lunch today and posted the results here -- it seems to work remarkably well: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=343988#post343988

Cheers,
Ok Jack

Sounds good . I have ordered my HR DIGARON-W 4/40 today and with some luck , I might even get that lens till this weekend .
I think , I have an advantage by using the CFV-50 back with the 36x49 sensor size . This makes shifting and shading a little bit more comfortable .
That is at least , what I think and hope .
After I moved to my new location , I could not reinstall my milling machine as well as my lathe yet . So a "hood rework" must be delayed .
Cheers .

dick

Okay time for my rant:

So here I sit in the maybe the brightest sun on the planet and you take a slow cam and make it even slower to work with when you have the best 5 finger hand tool on the planet your left hand and you leave that for playing what pocket pool. This is not working guys this is using shiny chrome ornaments on the hood of your car. Just sayin

I never had flare in my life with the trusty hand tool.:wtf:

It just had to be said. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Perhaps you just have to be an amateur to have the enthusiasm to take the right kit ( or hat) with you, and the time to to put quality first?

I have a Tilley hat (and a GH2 and an H4D for snapshots) and a budget lens shade for my Sinar...

I have the standard four - roller blind lens shade for the P2, and I use it on a P2 to P3 conversion bellows to adapt to the P3. You can use the shade on some special bars and a clip, but this is a bit wimpy, so I will use a spare P2 standard to mount the front of the shade ( II could use a spare P3 standard for the rear of the bellows) so I get a full set of movements on the shade (as well as on both standards) in addition to the four adjustable roller blinds. I can use live view to make sure the shade is not too close, and fire the shutter through Phocus mobiles and an iTouch while playing pocket billiards with both hands.

And you have a shiny badge on the bonnet of your Bentley too?

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Alpa makes a nice shade that as far as I can tell clamps onto the the outside of the lens barrel. It could be improved if it were a 3x4 aspect ratio rectangle that could be squashed flat for travel. Perhaps a smaller version for the longs?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Alpa makes a nice shade that as far as I can tell clamps onto the the outside of the lens barrel. It could be improved if it were a 3x4 aspect ratio rectangle that could be squashed flat for travel. Perhaps a smaller version for the longs?
Woody

That is a nice little precision toy . I have it and use it in cloudy weather .
But a real good shade is quite an other thing .
It could be improved , yes , it should be improved ! ! !:clap:

Thierry

Hi Grischa,

Rodenstock doesn't have a lens shade for the 32 HR lens. The PLS shade from Alpa doesn't work, respectively up to an outer diameter of 75mm.

The 86mm standard ring from Lee, which does not exist for WA, should work, in combination with the WA bellows. We haven't however tested it yet.

It seems that the Sinar solution from the Artec is the best solution for this lens, but I didn't test it either. Peter ("PeterA") can for sure jump in to share his experience.

Thierry

Thierry
Is there any lens shade device from Alpa or Rodenstock that supports the 32 HR ?
Grischa

cs750

Art of seeing vs. equiupment talk: I think most people serious about photography understand the importance of the art of seeing, but there are some quite understandable reasons there is so much equipment and technical talk on this forum. First there is a world of books and DVDs which seek to stress composition and the art of seeing. Second, thoughtful time spent on the internet provides access to the study and appreciation of the works of many fine photographers (unfortunately with little discussion by the artist). Third, it is often the technical issues of fumbling with equipment that gets in the way of a focus on the art of seeing. This forum more than any I know fills the void many of us need to explore with the help of those who have experience with equipment issues and the challenges of technical processing issues. It is the sum total of all these things that is needed and on balance this forum fulfills those needs due to the contributions of its members. However, I will say that it might be good to have a thread on the topic of the art of seeing and composition issues with more posting of images and more discussion of those images. The art of seeing is a very subjective topic, and too often when an image is posted, there is not enough discussion of how the composition affects us as viewers and what the althernatives might have been. There is often the typical comments like "great image joe", but not enough discussion of what is so great about the image or our personal preferences relating to the image. A standing thread (which I may have missed) dealing with compositional and art of seeing issues with more input relating to the images posted might be worthy of consideration. Such a thread could be equipment neutral. I stand corrected if I have overlooked such a thread. I know it is scattered everywhere in this forum, but I think many would go to a specific thread dealing with that subject who don't always have the time to wade through all the threads. I am thrilled to be a part of this forum. Charles