The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech Cams: Why I like tilt

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well said Charles. I agree totally and would love to see more of it here as this is what I do on the workshops is teach exactly that. End of the day it's the image that counts how many times have we heard that phrase. But the real question I believe is how the artist created it in there mind.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
We already have it folks, that was precisely why we set up the "Images to Share" forum! The idea was to have a place to share images, either to let them stand without comment, or to allow the artist to share their thought process on creating a particular image, all regardless of the gear used to create it. Maybe we need to re-write the sub-title description?

cs750

Guy & Jack, since it appears I had not overlooked a specific thread or category on this forum relating to "Composition & Art of Seeing" would it be desireable to have that permanent category? I don't know the mechanics of how it would be done, but it seems to me such a thread or category would be a call to all those who wish to have their specific image discussed or assessed available for comment and alternative opinions. It would also be a place where one could see lots of images and continuing discussions relating to to topics of composition and art of seeing. I really don't need to know what equipment was used to make the image unless it is specifically relevant to composition and art of seeing. It would not make any difference whether the image was macro, black & white, landscape, architectural, portrait, runway, industrial....or whatever. If such a category were listed on this forum it would likely be the first place I would check for new posts and comments. For me it is too time consuming to wade through all the wonderful posts on this forum hoping to find images and comments on the images as they relate to composition and art of seeing. Such a category might also include comments on post processing...but the scope of such a category might need to be closely supervised until it's scope is clearly resolved. The scope of such a category could quickly become too general and thereby defeat its purpose. Charles

Thierry

Charles is right, it is always welcome to see images, to discuss the make-of like composition, light, contrast, etc ... as well as the "art of seeing", to have different opinions as well as positive discussions on how it could be improved.

On the other hand, I don't think that the tool used is of no relevance at all and that it should be left out of the discussion completely. I do think in the contrary, that the camera is the very first step to get a real motivation to create images. The fun of using a particular camera can contribute a lot, whatever the reason of this fun is: the design, the simplicity of the construction and the mechanics, the features available, the beauty of the camera itself, the touch and feeling of the material, the lens used (for its specificity), etc ..., all can and do contribute to the image-making process and if it is fun or less fun. Bringing fun to this process can only influence the image in a positive way.

That is my opinion, since I know that I am functioning this way, when taking images but also in many other instances. But I know that many others do feel the same for having spoken with a lot of photographers over the world. Not little of them did express their need to like their camera as if it was their little "baby" (when it comes to care of and give it attention).
It may be of no importance to some, even seem to be "stupid" to think so, it is nevertheless the case for many photographers.

I don't say that this camera can produce better images over another, from another brand. What I say is that a particular camera can put us in a different mindset and give us a different motivation to produce and be creative.

And I do not speak specifically about Alpa. I have my preference, sure, but others have their own, for may be the same reasons or then not. And they are all respectable and valuable when it helps and motivates us to get images.

Thierry

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I always post what I used when posting images. For me it is the sharing of data that someone else can learn from or compare to there tool they are using. Since it is a photo forum built around the concept of learning and sharing which I think (bias) GetDPI is known for. It makes sense and many times I may delve into settings and such to give further insight. My theory is people are here to learn and be among people they enjoy talking with. I personally am always open to HOW I created a image. I think we just be more in the mindset of just flat out asking people, if they are posting images than it is too share anyway. I think many folks actually enjoy the questions how and will answer. I guess don't be afraid to ask.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I also prefer knowing "the entire story" behind an image, including the technical details. But I also know that many tend to resist discussing gear and techniques for a variety of reasons when it comes to their art... So I am fine with each sharing as much or little as they choose, to whatever level is comfortable for them.

cs750

I did not mean to imply that no reference to the equipment being used should be made, but only to stress the fact that equipment should not become the true subject of the the post; I am just saying the point of the forum topic should be to encourage posting images for discussion on topics of composition and the art of seeing even when the equipment might not be much of the story. In other words even images with point and shoot cameras should find a good home in such a category. So, I agree with those who like to know the whole story as long as the "executive summary" is about the image and thinking of it's maker. Charles