Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: IQ180 delivery

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IQ180 delivery

Yes it just pops out of the frame. I was figuring how to grind it and then discovered that it came out. Much neater job!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotophil View Post
    Yes it just pops out of the frame. I was figuring how to grind it and then discovered that it came out. Much neater job!!!
    Those inscrutable Swedes sure did a good job of hiding any hint of a line where it pops out. Does it come out at the outer thin line or the inner thicker line? Did you just tap around the frame from inside the camera?

Post Thanks / Like

You are so right, they certainly did not indicate that the little frame could be removed. I just took the outer edge of the film gate and firmly lifted up and to my surprise the little metal edge insert cme out in one piece. It is a very thin four sided insert piece which is held in place with a press fit It didn't distort in the removal and probably could be put back in place.

Let's hope ther weren't two versions of the AercBody - mine is 452ER1xxx

Good luck

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine's 452SS1062. Maybe they found it easier to cast in one unit by the time they got to mine. Could you upload an image of yours?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like there were two versions of the Arcbody. The Flexbody also used insert masks which prevented digital back mounting. Maybe Dave Odess knows the details?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rupho View Post
    Thanks for sharing Bill
    I found that my artificial horizon does not exactly level

Grischa
    Mine is off as well. I tested mine by shooting several shots while in Kauai of the ocean, making sure the level readout itself was exactly 0. I have to make a very minor correction in C1 to get a perfectly level horizon. It's very consistent, so my next plan is to decide what point of the readout is level. Unfortunately the bubbles on my Cube are not spot on, and neither is my iPhone.

Would be nice if the back had some way to dial in a calibration offset so it could be more accurate.
    wayne
    My gallery

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting my Cambo and my Z1 dont match either on vertical plane in comparison to the ball. Horizontal seems okay but I should test it. Honestly all I have been using is the ball to get level and not used anything else. Things look good but is it precisely accurate is a question.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had a chance to use my IQ160 in anger this weekend and I'm happy to say that the level in my back is spot on. I think that my viewfinder is actually not set straight because if I'd used the lines of my crop viewfinder (Leaf replacement for 44x33mm sensor) then my shots would have been off.

One thing that has been a slight struggle initially is getting used to NOT composing for my crop marks. After years of using cropped viewfinders with my Kodak DCS645M and now Aptus 65 & P40+ I have to start thinking of using the full frame again. Kind of ironic when I think that most people have the opposite problem when using a crop back!! Time to fit that full Mamiya grid mask again.

One challenge I have at the moment is working out what to set the focus mask values to for my various lenses. Time to just shoot a bunch of tests I think. Ditto with live view.

Btw, if anyone is on the fence wondering about the IQ series - just do it, the technology and workflow is simply awesome. Once you've used it it'll be hard to go back to anything else.

So, Phase One, if you want total world dominance in digital backs just link my iPad to my IQ back for instant control and feedback without a tethering laptop. I can dream can't I?

Shooting with the IQ even made me forget about the loathing I have about the DF. Everything just works so I'm happy. Now I just need to get out and use it with my Alpa and try the live view....
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    Mine is off as well. I tested mine by shooting several shots while in Kauai of the ocean, making sure the level readout itself was exactly 0. I have to make a very minor correction in C1 to get a perfectly level horizon. It's very consistent, so my next plan is to decide what point of the readout is level. Unfortunately the bubbles on my Cube are not spot on, and neither is my iPhone.

Would be nice if the back had some way to dial in a calibration offset so it could be more accurate.
    That would be a super useful feature. How much is your level off? Are we talking 0.x degrees or more?
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

IQ160 on ArcBody

Quote Originally Posted by fotophil View Post
    Sounds like there were two versions of the Arcbody.
    Yesterday I returned from machinist Jim Bednarcyk's workroom where he very carefully removed extra millimeters from the ArcBody that were keeping the IQ160 from coupling with it. Perfect!

Did my first test with the 45mm Rodenstock today and I was happy to see the added image area that I hadn't seen since my film days. I "processed" the first image to a 16-bit TIF and opened it in Photoshop. Of course the first thing I did was zoom-in to pixel-peep, but I was disappointed... until I saw that the image size at 360ppi was already a fraction under 25 inches wide "right out of the box"!!! I rezzed-up to 50 inches and almost got a tear of joy.

The Rodenstocks are designed for movements on the ArcBody, but I had everything zeroed, and was delighted to not see vignetting in the sky or elsewhere in the scene. I suspect there will be some when I do the LCC, and certainly with movements. Absolutely gorgeous lenses! So happy that I kept the ArcBody kit, and delighted with this self-contained, beautifully constructed little gem... the IQ160.

Thank you Fotophil and other members of this forum who have assisted me with this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So this is a 160 v mount. Love to have something like this in a Mamiya mount
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad you found a good machine shop - it sure beats Dremel tool surgery. I have found that the 45mm works well on the IQ160 shifted using LCC. Please let me know how the 35mm and 75mm lenses work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW anyone looking for a IQ 140 . One of our sponsors has one available I was told. Let me know. Thought I would throw it out here as these are on waiting lists.

Make that two of our sponsors have IQ 140 available ready to ship.

Post Thanks / Like

what is the waiting time for IQ 180 these days?

Preparing to order mine very soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by m21apsh View Post
    what is the waiting time for IQ 180 these days?

Preparing to order mine very soon.
    I just ordered an Aptus 12, but was also looking at the IQ180 from the same dealer. Up here in Canada, it was a couple of monhts for the IQ and a couple of weeks for the Leaf.