Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: No love for Linhof Techno?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: No love for Linhof Techno?

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    Crikey, if you think the Techno is limited I'd love to hear your opinion on the Arca RM3D/i, Cambo WRS/WDS or any of the current Alpa's.

You're dead right - how I make a living with this piece of junk is beyond me.
    Sean Conboys manages it... it depends on your market, marketing, style etc.

Some photographers have "graduated" from full-blown 54 monorail cameras to "limited" MF Tech cameras... but for anyone who has used and fully appreciated a monorail camera, a Techno would be as frustrating and embarrassing as running a 100 yard race with their trousers round their ankles.

Some people make a living with cameras with no movements at all, and with greater DOF with smaller image sizes, and the ability to stack, stitch, distort etc., you can do most things without movements.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: No love for Linhof Techno?

Quote Originally Posted by dick View Post
    Sean Conboys manages it... it depends on your market, marketing, style etc.
    I hear Joe Cornish manages to scrape by as well.

The plain and simple fact is that with digital the tolerances are so much greater that the more movements a camera is capable of, the more room there is for error to creep in. If you've spent your life shooting 8x10 then MF digital probably does leave you with your trousers round your ankles.

Stitching and focus stacking are valid techniques, but focus stacking MF images in particular with moving objects can be a time-consuming and frustrating exercise. Movements are a more appropriate solution in most such instances...and with that requirement in mind, the Techno has proved itself to me as a fine tool for the job on many an occasion.