Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No love for Linhof Techno?

Post Thanks / Like

No love for Linhof Techno?

Hi all,
    Just wondering why there is never much conversation around the Linhof Techno? It seems Arca and Apla are the current favorites with DB users, but what makes them so much more appealing compared to the Techno? Is it size, focusing or mechanical accuracy, or what?
    T

Post Thanks / Like

Re: No love for Linhof Techno?

in my point of view : with wide angle lenses 45, 35, 28, 23... it's impossible to focus properly on the ground glass !

So, for me the techno wasn't an option !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As I said somewhere else. As long as we don't have real live view the camera is a no go for me. It works great in combination with a laptop. Otherwise a Arca, Alpa, cambo or Sinar is the better choice.

In addition I think the Arca m line two is by far the better bellow camera. It isn't much larger or heavier, but far more solid.

Post Thanks / Like

Well. I may be the exception. With kapture group sliding back (Maxwell GG), I've no problem focusing. It works fine even with my Rodenstock 40HR. IQ should further enhance the usability.

Post Thanks / Like

Having seens Yat's setup and prints first hand, the results speak for themselves. The techno is a fine system.

I love it's versatility. With properly setup infinity stops and making up a focusing scale (as you would not any view camera), focusing is not more or less problematic than any other technical camera.

The conversations might be more in favour of the alpa/arca as many more people come up from medium format than down from large format. My feeling is once we all get over our fetish for absolute sharpness everywhere, the techno will gain its true legs, it's a more creative platform.

Rear swing and tilt would make it sweeter.

Post Thanks / Like

The Techno would not be an option for me as it does not have a full range of movements both ends... but what (apart from the Sinar P3) has?

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. Live view seems all the more important with a camera like this it seems. It also seems in terms of focus accuracy, the nods are in favor of the Arca, followed closely by the Alpa with high precision focusing rings. Is this true?

Post Thanks / Like

Is that bait to start another heated discussion about alpa vs arca? ... practically speaking there is not much difference between focusing the Alpa or Arca. The most significant difference is probably how infinity focusing is handled and your preference about it.

Post Thanks / Like

No, not wanting a debate, just trying to understand the limits of each approach. I personally love composing and focusing on gg with 4x5" field cameras but have never had the opportunity to do it with a digital back. I love the idea of all of these systems but never hear people talking about the merits of the Techno.

Post Thanks / Like

IIRC Techno has no cross/rise movements on back = no stitching with the lens staying in same position. Deal breaker.

Post Thanks / Like

No, it does have rise and fall built in on the back (20mm each way), so the lens can stay fixed. Left/right shift on the back is provided by the sliding back - again with the lens fixed in place.

If you don't want to use the sliding back then left/right shift on the front standard is an option - but this is the situation where the lens would move (but of course, with a macro rail you could move the lens left 10mm, and then the camera right 10mm [using the rail] and the lens has effectively stayed in the same place, and only the back has 'moved').

Post Thanks / Like

Have alook at this thread over at LuLa where Sean Conboy chips in. He's a long time user of the Techno - has nothing but good things to say about it. One of the other posts mentions that Joe Cornish uses the camera extensively. If you're aware of him, and have seen his work, you'll know there is no higher recommendation for the camera than this. Interestingly, both these photographers were one time large-format users stepping down to MF, rather than 35mm users stepping up.

Post Thanks / Like

focussing with a 40hr on the techno is ok... but a rodenstock sironar digital 35,45 or a schneider 35 xl is nearly impossible...

Post Thanks / Like

Of course, you always have the option of mounting your wide angles in helicals on the Technika lensboards, just as back in the LF days, and focussing them that way. At about $400 a pop it's a lot less to do so than the $1000s that Alpa, Arca and Cambo will charge. Then you have the best of all worlds.

That said, I never really focus a wide angle [for landscape shooting]. Just set up the infinity stop on the Techno to the hyperfocal distance for the best performing aperture for the lens/back combination and there you go. Introduce a degree of tilt and you're pretty much guaranteed front/back sharpness with the 23/28/35.

Finally, the Acute groundglass for the Techno is a beauty. IMO better than the Alpa, Arca or Maxwell offerings. Makes using the groundglass for composition (external viewfinders aren't for me) and focussing a real pleasure, both physically and aesthetically.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No experience with the Techno, but we use a Linhof C679 in our studio with a Phase back. It is a really nice camera and we have not had any focusing issue. I am sure the Techno would also be a great camera.

The only problem we have with our Linhof is with the US distributer, HP Marketing. Whether I am just unlucky, I don't know, but I have never had so many problems with a company as I have had with that distributer. If you are outside the US, I can say a Linhof would be a great choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    No, not wanting a debate, just trying to understand the limits of each approach. I personally love composing and focusing on gg with 4x5" field cameras but have never had the opportunity to do it with a digital back. I love the idea of all of these systems but never hear people talking about the merits of the Techno.
    So I think there are a couple of issues, almost all to do with focus and usability. First note the Techno is a bellows focus camera. Where focusing on a 4x5GG is relatively easy with a normal lens, the difficulty goes up exponentially as you go to shorter lenses, and goes up exponentially again as you go to smaller formats. Even 6x9cm was difficult, so 4.5x6cm is even more so; add short focal lenses to that and it gets near impossible. So until recently there were two options: shoot with a technical camera that has marked focal distances for the lens in use, or shoot with any bellows type cam and be tethered to a computer so you could review the images at 100% to confirm focus. Obviously the former is better suited to field use while the latter is fine in the studio.

This has possibly changed somewhat with the introduction of the IQ backs with high-resolution rear displays and tap to 100% view, but most of the adopters of the IQ backs already have invested in some form of technical camera with helical focus. Those that use bellows cams in the studio will probably continue to use what they already have, and most also own a tech cam anyway. So I suspect the only reason the Techno sees a limited audience, is because the potential user base is a small subset of an already small base.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Every SLR/TLR uses a ground glass as well, including DSLRs. I do not find focusing a particular format that uses a ground glass from 35mm to 8x10 any harder. Nor have I found focal length a factor in focus at least in terms of not finding focus. Especially with view/technical camera types where you focus wide open and then stop down to shoot.

Now with rack and pinion focusing that Linhof uses (and this is true for helicoids with the same pitch), if you move the lens a distance of x, the amount of defocusing will be same for a given aperture regardless of focal length. Focal length is simply not an issue.

Now, I always use a loupe with a ground glass (SLR/TLR viewfinders have their own magnification), so I don't know if folks having trouble focusing digital backs are not using one. The quality of the ground glass is also important, but I have found it has not hindered me from finding focus.

Now, this is my experience. I find it strange that others are having problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

35mm cams have magnification, and their short lenses are retrofocal designs so the corners do not go dark. Ask anybody that has tried to focus say a 47 or 58mm lens on a 4x5 groundglass, and they'll tell it's a lot tougher than focusing a normal 150.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    The only problem we have with our Linhof is with the US distributer, HP Marketing. Whether I am just unlucky, I don't know, but I have never had so many problems with a company as I have had with that distributer. If you are outside the US, I can say a Linhof would be a great choice.
    +1

...which is why I would recommend Linhof & Studio in the UK. Paula is excellent to deal with and very knowledgeable. Plus, the gear is a fair bit cheaper in the UK than the US (e.g. the Techno body with standard bellows is about $2k cheaper).

N.B. I have no affiliation with L&S, other than being a long time satisfied customer.

Post Thanks / Like

Every SLR/TLR uses a ground glass as well, including DSLRs. I do not find focusing a particular format that uses a ground glass from 35mm to 8x10 any harder. Nor have I found focal length a factor in focus at least in terms of not finding focus. Especially with view/technical camera types where you focus wide open and then stop down to shoot.
    you should try to focus a 35XL on the techno at 8 meters several times without a lot of light...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    Have alook at this thread over at LuLa where Sean Conboy chips in. He's a long time user of the Techno - has nothing but good things to say about it. One of the other posts mentions that Joe Cornish uses the camera extensively. If you're aware of him, and have seen his work, you'll know there is no higher recommendation for the camera than this. Interestingly, both these photographers were one time large-format users stepping down to MF, rather than 35mm users stepping up.
    Sean Conboy did the Hasselblad Arch Location day at Oxford... and I was not impressed. The roof was not level in the bar where he was set up... so I suggested a little rear swing to fix it - not possible on the Techno.

Joe Cornish I met at a show at the NEC, and I am very impressed with his work... I think that (like me) he went from Hasselblad to 5 *4 for movements and not just res... but rear tilt is a magic tool for architecture and landscapes, as you can (with a properly set-up camera) take different versions of a picture with, for landscape exaggerated hills, and for Architecture, correct or "looking right" vertical perspective.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, I understand were you folks are coming from. It is not focal length per se, but rather vignetting/angle of view. Well, that has been a problem for a long time. I always found 55mm/65mm lenses on a 4x5 view camera to be a challenge in the corners. (As for low light, that has always been an issue with a ground glass.) That is why the quality of the ground glass is important as well as the use of a fresnal. (Or buy a rangefinder.)

But all of this is to do with the nature of the beast--you will not get a better ground-glass image on a tech camera anymore than on a Techno. It just comes down to the focusing mechanism--rack and pinion or helicoid. Personally, there are so many variables, I have a hard time favoring one over the other. (At least the Techno give the option of both.) If was going to use tilts and swings often, I might prefer my lenses to be on a lens board than having the extension of a helicoid produces, but I could still work with both setups.

Personally, I would prefer an Arca Swiss technical camera (I like small cameras and the possibility of hand holding them), but I can see folks raised with a flat-bed view/technical camera to like the Techno. A Techno on a Cube would be very sexy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    you should try to focus a 35XL on the techno at 8 meters several times without a lot of light...
    Well, if that was something I had to do on a daily basis I'd probably shell out the $400 and stick it in a helical ... but hang on a second, unless your helical on the 35XL has an indication for 8m exactly (or 10.5m or 15.2m or whatever), how do you, er, focus it at 8m exactly (or 10.5m or 15.2m or whatever) ?

Quote Originally Posted by dick View Post
    Joe Cornish I met at a show at the NEC, and I am very impressed with his work... I think that (like me) he went from Hasselblad to 5 *4 for movements and not just res... but rear tilt is a magic tool for architecture and landscapes, as you can (with a properly set-up camera) take different versions of a picture with, for landscape exaggerated hills, and for Architecture, correct or "looking right" vertical perspective.
    Asymmetric rear tilt is the one movement I'd love ... and I'll probably win the lottery before any camera manufacturer comes up with such a solution specifically designed for DB use.

...a Techno on a Cube would be very sexy.
    It is...

Post Thanks / Like

... but hang on a second, unless your helical on the 35XL has an indication for 8m exactly (or 10.5m or 15.2m or whatever), how do you, er, focus it at 8m exactly (or 10.5m or 15.2m or whatever) ?
    Easy way is to make up a focusing scale on paper, set the your infinity stops, place the scale and it becomes the same as any other technical camera . "Old" film cameras such as a Toyo 45AII which have a dedicated area on the bed for the scale. It's not necessary to have to focus on the GG.

Due to the yaw-free front swing/tilt, surely the techno is better than most field cameras (and the arca and alpa) for people who need front swing/tilt regularly. You can also use any lens, classic or new, with just a linhof board. I think the techno is the most versatile tech cam around.

Though I rarely post here, I thought I would add some thoughts to the discussion as I have a Linhof Techno and an IQ180. The combination is new to me (though I have had the Techno for awhile):

First, I was previously shooting the Techno with a P65+ and the Kapture Group sliding back. Focusing on the ground glass, the two widest lenses I was using were the Schneider 47 and the Rodenstock 28. I often employ tilt and, combined with stopping down to around f/11, I was able to consistently and confidently nail focus nearly all the time.

With the IQ180, I decided to ditch the 47 and replace it with a Rodenstock 40mm - which I just received - due to the limited movements and severe color shift associated with using movements on the Schneider.

On the IQ180, I am nearly always using LiveView to focus - particularly for tilt. In fact, I recently purchased (but have yet to receive) a fixed plate back to replace my Kapture Group sliding back. For my purposes, LiveView is such a dramatic improvement that I think I'd prefer to save the size/weight/hassle of the sliding back (shooting almost entirely landscape photography with this setup, so weight matters when hiking).

LiveView on the IQ180 combined with the Techno is excellent. I carry a vari-ND filter for bright light, though I often do not need it. The biggest downside to this setup is that i get a fair amount of noise in the shadows if I am using LiveView for a long period of time and then taking longish exposures (2-15 sec) - apparently the back really needs a little cool-down time. Of course, I am in Arizona where the air doesn't cool down a great deal this time of year.

I previously had a plate camera (Cambo RS). I definitely prefer the Linhof, particularly because of the ability to Tilt built into the camera vs the lens. My biggest complaints about the Linhof are:

1. Gearing - I'd prefer finer gearing. It requires very small movements to nail critical focus.

2. No rear tilt - though you can duplicate rear-tilt results via some tilting, shifting and camera body adjustments (tipping the entire camera back form level).

Overall, I'd highly recommend the combination for slow, methodical capture not dissimilar to 4x5 work. Compared to the RM3Di, I think you are getting something that is ultimately similar, though less expensive (due to the simple lens mounting). The Arca is better on fine focus, the Linhof "feels" much more like a 4x5 camera in action and thus may be preferable to some.

Hope those thoughts help...

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, great info. Thanks! I love using my Linhof Technika V. I love the process and methodical setup, so guess I'd love using the Techno, or any modern tech camera for that matter. Something about the slow process and setup gets me in synch with what's in front of me. In 4x5" terms, my most used lenses are 90mm, 120mm and 150mm. Doesn't seem like the equivalent combo is too hard a task for the techno. T

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Though I rarely post here, I thought I would add some thoughts to the discussion as I have a Linhof Techno and an IQ180. The combination is new to me (though I have had the Techno for awhile):

First, I was previously shooting the Techno with a P65+ and the Kapture Group sliding back. Focusing on the ground glass, the two widest lenses I was using were the Schneider 47 and the Rodenstock 28. I often employ tilt and, combined with stopping down to around f/11, I was able to consistently and confidently nail focus nearly all the time.

With the IQ180, I decided to ditch the 47 and replace it with a Rodenstock 40mm - which I just received - due to the limited movements and severe color shift associated with using movements on the Schneider.

On the IQ180, I am nearly always using LiveView to focus - particularly for tilt. In fact, I recently purchased (but have yet to receive) a fixed plate back to replace my Kapture Group sliding back. For my purposes, LiveView is such a dramatic improvement that I think I'd prefer to save the size/weight/hassle of the sliding back (shooting almost entirely landscape photography with this setup, so weight matters when hiking).

LiveView on the IQ180 combined with the Techno is excellent. I carry a vari-ND filter for bright light, though I often do not need it. The biggest downside to this setup is that i get a fair amount of noise in the shadows if I am using LiveView for a long period of time and then taking longish exposures (2-15 sec) - apparently the back really needs a little cool-down time. Of course, I am in Arizona where the air doesn't cool down a great deal this time of year.

I previously had a plate camera (Cambo RS). I definitely prefer the Linhof, particularly because of the ability to Tilt built into the camera vs the lens. My biggest complaints about the Linhof are:

1. Gearing - I'd prefer finer gearing. It requires very small movements to nail critical focus.

2. No rear tilt - though you can duplicate rear-tilt results via some tilting, shifting and camera body adjustments (tipping the entire camera back form level).

Overall, I'd highly recommend the combination for slow, methodical capture not dissimilar to 4x5 work. Compared to the RM3Di, I think you are getting something that is ultimately similar, though less expensive (due to the simple lens mounting). The Arca is better on fine focus, the Linhof "feels" much more like a 4x5 camera in action and thus may be preferable to some.

Hope those thoughts help...

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

"Due to the yaw-free front swing/tilt, surely the techno is better than most field cameras (and the arca and alpa)."

The Arca M line 2 and his Orbix isn't bad either !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It all depends. I still think the TECHNO makes a nice studio or location camera, but far from mobil. Linhof might have changed a few things, or I could be more critical, but my TECHNO as never working great for a long time. After a few months of use I wasn't able to shoot wide open with my lenses because the lens/sensor plane wasn't parallel anymore. Sakes goes for focus, I had my infinity stops, but they moved, just a little bit, but that just slows down work.

It is true that I am a lot more happier with my Arca now. Everything just works and not only for a few months before it h to be recalibrated.

I still would prefer to work with a real bellow camera it currently would be M line 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Below what focal length do you need to use the wide angle bellows on the techno?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    LiveView on the IQ180 combined with the Techno is excellent. I carry a vari-ND filter for bright light, though I often do not need it. The biggest downside to this setup is that i get a fair amount of noise in the shadows if I am using LiveView for a long period of time and then taking longish exposures (2-15 sec) - apparently the back really needs a little cool-down time. Of course, I am in Arizona where the air doesn't cool down a great deal this time of year
    That's to be expected (especially towards the 15 sec side) and especially if you're not using ISO35. The cool-down time should be pretty darn quick even after extensive use of live-view but it's not instant. It shouldn't impact short exposures with even a few seconds of cool down. And of course the ambient air temperature matters a lot. Using standard rather than zero latency will also help to keep the back cool.

Pretty specific combo of using longish exposures, a lot of view view, and warm ambient temperatures here. Otherwise not a lot of real-world instances of this issue.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
    New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    Pretty specific combo of using longish exposures, a lot of view view, and warm ambient temperatures here. Otherwise not a lot of real-world instances of this issue.
    not so specific in my point of view... ;-(

Just for clarification, the conditions in which I am shooting do not seem so extreme to me. Let me clarify:

Live view to focus for a few minutes or so. Not 10+ minutes at a time. Always ISO 35 (which is, in itself, somewhat responsible for the longer exposure times). Exposures of 2-15 seconds, not 15 seconds only. Many in the 5-10 second range. AZ summer but at night - ambient air temps in the 90-100 deg (f) range. Never using zero latency mode. Shooting a series of 2-3 Images once out of live view. Space in time equal to that required to exit live view, carefully close the shutter, set the shutter speed, cock the shutter, press the wake up cable, trip the shutter with the cable release. Done carefully it's probably 10-20 seconds between them.

My guess would be outside of the air temp, many landscape photographers would run into similar situations shooting waterfalls, seascapes, dawn/dusk shots etc. I have also shot indoors and seen the same thing. For what it is worth, I saw very similar results with the P65+ when in zero latency mode at ISO 100.

Have not tried letting the back sit for a few minutes but will.

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    That's to be expected (especially towards the 15 sec side) and especially if you're not using ISO35. The cool-down time should be pretty darn quick even after extensive use of live-view but it's not instant. It shouldn't impact short exposures with even a few seconds of cool down. And of course the ambient air temperature matters a lot. Using standard rather than zero latency will also help to keep the back cool.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
    New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Below what focal length do you need to use the wide angle bellows on the techno?
    The WA bellows will work with lenses in the range 23mm - 120mm

Post Thanks / Like

So if I were to build a system consisting of lenses 40mm - 90mm, I'd be best to use the WA bellows solely?

Quote Originally Posted by greygrad View Post
    The WA bellows will work with lenses in the range 23mm - 120mm

Post Thanks / Like

Yup. The camera ships with the standard bellows, the WA are an optional extra - but you might be able to sort something out with your dealer. There is a kit discount available, which can save you $$ - not sure if you have to buy the WA bellows to get it, but if so it more than covers the cost of them. It was around $800 towards the beginning of the year, it's less now - around $600 - as a result of the fluctuating exchange rates. By the way, if you're going for the sliding back, the new one should be here by the end of September.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Really it will be? Magnificent! just took them over two years. Or three?

In regards to the bellow, I preferred the normal one from 90 on. However, greygard is correct.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, none of these companies exactly rush to get their products to market - which, in the fast-paced world we live in today, is actually quite a nice thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Techno !

I love its versatility, craftsmanship and precision.

And I have to thank Paula @ LinhofStudio (UK) for her great support and knowledge.

Regards from the Red Sea,
    Udo

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of setup are you using with regard to lenses, back etc? I'd appreciate more feedback on how you find focusing and precision of parts.
    Thanks,
    T

Quote Originally Posted by Udo View Post
    I love my Techno !

I love its versatility, craftsmanship and precision.

And I have to thank Paula @ LinhofStudio (UK) for her great support and knowledge.

Regards from the Red Sea,
    Udo

Post Thanks / Like

how do you, er, focus it at 8m exactly (or 10.5m or 15.2m or whatever) ?
    If you use a camera with a lens board, or something to measure to, you use the lens formula and a digital Micrometer ( I bought one the other day).
    Asymmetric rear tilt is the one movement I'd love
    It is nice to know that there is someone else here who would appreciate a professional camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Asymmetric rear tilt... i wish i had it on my camera maybe once in 20 years...
    we all have different needs... that's what makes life so nice !

Post Thanks / Like

Yup - I guess it comes down to what you shoot. If it's landscapes, I'm surprised you used asymmetric tilt so little...on the other hand, if it's glamour, then I'm surprised you used it so much

Post Thanks / Like

architecture... i mainly use shift 99% of the time !

Post Thanks / Like

Robert White have posted a short video about the Techno.

Post Thanks / Like

Like it says - no love for Linhof Techno

Post Thanks / Like

Like it says - no love for Linhof Techno
    If you could elaborate a bit about what you have issues with - and I take it you've acutually used the camera? - it would make for a more useful post.

I've been using the Techno for a few months now, and would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about it.

Post Thanks / Like

If you could elaborate a bit about what you have issues with - and I take it you've acutually used the camera? - it would make for a more useful post.

I've been using the Techno for a few months now, and would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about it.
    I have had one demonstrated to me... that was more than enough.

It is a very simple camera with no rear movements, except for a little rise and fall.

Limited extension for macro.

It is not a versatile system camera.

...now, if someone made a cheap and cheerful lightweight camera that was lensboard compatible with a professional camera, that might appeal.

...does it epitomize modern professional photography? (I have seen Sean Conboys using one)

Will you ever appreciate, and graduate to, a better camera?

Post Thanks / Like

Crikey, if you think the Techno is limited I'd love to hear your opinion on the Arca RM3D/i, Cambo WRS/WDS or any of the current Alpa's.

You're dead right - how I make a living with this piece of junk is beyond me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had one demonstrated to me... that was more than enough.

It is a very simple camera with no rear movements, except for a little rise and fall.

Limited extension for macro.

It is not a versatile system camera.

...now, if someone made a cheap and cheerful lightweight camera that was lensboard compatible with a professional camera, that might appeal.

...does it epitomize modern professional photography? (I have seen Sean Conboys using one)

As a person considering to enter MF digital with this camera for landscapes and architecture may I ask what would be more versatile camera out there considering weight and movements?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLF View Post
    As a person considering to enter MF digital with this camera for landscapes and architecture may I ask what would be more versatile camera out there considering weight and movements?
    Hi, Alex...

Rear tilt/swing is invaluable for landscapes... (architecture, anything)

It is nice to be able to adjust rear tilt for different effects after setting up the camera, but you can achieve the same result by tilting the whole camera.

I do not think anyone makes a good light, compact MF tech camera... but the Sinar X is a possibility, as the standards can be rotated 90 degrees for transport.

If you will not be venturing far from a vehicle, then weight and stow-ability will not be as important.

The extension of the Techno is adequate for the Apo-Digitar 210mm, and you will probably not need more extension than that. (I have a Leica-Novoflex 400mm I hope to use, but my 480mm, 600mm and 900mm film lenses will probably not be good enough for digital, unless I nee a very large image circle.)

The standard bellows on the Sinar P2 is about 600mm, and I have conversion bellows that would allow me to to use 2 600mm P2 bellows in a P3, but that is more extension, versatility etc. than most photographers will need.

The Sinar (rear) standards are not rock solid, so care is needed to prevent movement of the standards between shots. I intend to buy electronic eShutters, which have the advantage that you do not need to touch the standards between shots.