The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad vs Phaseone

kdphotography

If you're dealing with tight interiors, P65+ is the better choice considering crop factor of other sensors and available lenses (short of a technical camera).

fwiw, I've owned predominantly Phase MFDBs---and shoot a lot of portraiture, and many times handheld. No available IS on any medium format digital system that I'm aware of, so the requisite increase in care/photographic workflow for any medium format digital system will be the same/comparable. I have found that as resolution increases, so must the care in photography increase... (compare usage of 12MP DSLR moving up to 21MP DSLR----resolution makes errors stand out more).

ken

shlomi

Shooting portraits with a studio stand I get perfectly sharp results, as long as the subjects don't jump around too much.

I've tried studio portraits handheld several times with Phase and always not completely sharp. Also outside no flashes with higher shutter speeds, still not completely sharp handheld in many cases.

With Canon 1Ds never a problem handheld without IS.

Possible explanations I could come up with:
- Much heavier camera shakes more in my hand
- Lower sync speed in studio
- Clunky mirror
- Worse focus accuracy
- Higher resolution (but even if you lower it to 22 it is still worse than Canon - for me)

I am using 645AF, but I am not convinced that DF is that much better.
I believe Hass has better focus and weighs less.

J

jusuplus

as i before sayd that i carry ranger rx with me allways when shooting cars. but still not gonna sell my canon , going to keep it as backup :D

Willow

Hi there guys.

This is my first post on this forum

I also have been dealing with what to choose going back into MFDB.

I have been shooting with MFDB back and forth since mid 90s.
First I had a P1 Lightphase (6Mb), and after that more Lightphases and P30, P30+ and Hassy H4D31 and Hassy H4D40.

Now I have been shooting with a Nikon D3x for the lasy couple of years.
Its a fantastic camera and the IQ is excellent.
But I miss the look of a MFDB file!
Print tends to remove much of the IQ advantage. But nothing beats the joy of retouching a MFDB file.

This time I tried the H4D60 and looked at the Aptus MFDBs.

When I visited the Aptus dealer , I had with me the Hassy with a 100 2.2 lens.
I then compared it with a LS110 2.8.
Where the HC100 hunted and at last locked on, the LS110 just snapped into focus immediately.
There and then, the Hasselblad disappeared from the equation.
I wanted to shoot with those SC LS lenses!!
And it was not with a light heart I rejected the Hassy.
I have been a Hassy fan since mid 70s.
I even have a Hasselblad tattoo ( blame it on youth and alcohol .-)

The reason I chose Aptus was:

- the look of the files ( I shoot a lot of skin )
- the SC LS lenses
- the price ( I got two more LS lenses and an Airgrip for difference in price to a IQ140 )
- the availability ( I get the Leaf and lenses in 3-4 days )

And the reason I chose 40 over 80

- speed
- more DOF ( in MFDB the DOF is narrow enough and the fight for exact focus is hard enough without the added difficulty off a even bigger chip. And with a bigger chip, you need smaller aperture to get DOF and with that, reciprocity problems )
- price
- not that much need for wide angle shooting

I am excited to get my gear in a couple of days and again look at the smooth MFDB file.