The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad vs Phaseone

J

jusuplus

Hello

I'm new with medium format cameras and im just asking witch is better for money to buy. I have looked at h4d-40 and p40 and 645df and cannot make decision witch one to buy. I own now 35mm full frame cannon and i'm looking to improve my camera gear. Can you help me witch one is better for lenses and ergonomics.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thats a very tough question without a lot more info from you on what you tend to shoot. There is plenty of data on the MF forum to start your quest but i recommend highly you do your homework first and try them out before writing any check. This is the big porch club and deep wallet stuff. They are both very good system and end of the day the IQ is excellent on both . The questions that remains are what preference you like in the software, hardware and workflow. Not to even mention your needs and budget.

atanabe

This should be a spirited discussion! :watch:

Everyone has an opinion on what makes XX system better than YY system - just like why one likes a pilsner or a stout. I agree with Guy in that you have to look at what you shoot, how you shoot and what your budget is. MF digital is 1 fps capture not the 10 fps of the Canon. In the end, MF is a different animal for specific results. It is not the stealthy street rig nor the Ferrari fast sports kit, but it will give you the best image quality out there no matter what brand you finally purchase.

There is a large photo show coming to NYC in October, PDN Photo Expo, http://www.photoplusexpo.com/ where you could see and try all of the gear that you are thinking about and ask questions to your hearts content. Registration is free to the show well worth the trip from Finland to be able to handle all of the gear under one roof.

Cheers,

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Had asked myself the same question 2 years ago and came to the conclusion that I should go with the system which has the best price / performance to offer. I finally went with Hasselblad H3D39 instead of Phase because I got a really nice offer of a Customer Pre Owned H3D39 (half the new price).

And you know I never did regret! Especially when it comes to changing systems, as I did never loose the 50% of this camera as I had lost if I would have bought it new. And both give you great trade in programs, where I must say that the Phase trade in is even more interesting as the Hassi trade in, as you also could trade in a Hasselblad HD camera for a Phase, which you cannot the other way round. Thus if you first go Hasselblad and later decide to move to Phase you have a great possibility. In my case I would get 39% discount for my H3D39 (39MP) if I trade for any of the Phase IQ and P+ models.

So my advice is, look for a really good offer, this is long term the best value for your money and we are talking here about big investments.

Both systems are great, both have their benefits and flaws, but end of the day they both are perfect tools for a good photographer - period. All other discussion is cosmetic and finally only will cost money. If you want to do MFD and spend reasonably low money then just follow my advice above.

Hope that helps.

Analog6

The latest list is here (click the link under the picture). I'd love that H3DII39 & the 35-90 but don't, unfortunately, have the odd $20,000 lying about!

I chose Hasselblad almost by accident but am very happy with my H2 & PhaseOneP20 back, but of course I'd like something a bit later model. I have a bit of an investment in lenses now so will probably stick with Hasselblad now (sudden fortunes unexpectedly falling into lap may change this, but I am not holding my breath).

Last edited:

alan_w_george

If you ever see yourself with a tech camera, you should probably go with Phase. If you are SLR all the way, then Hasselblad might be a better fit. IMO:)

stngoldberg

If you ever see yourself with a tech camera, you should probably go with Phase. If you are SLR all the way, then Hasselblad might be a better fit. IMO:)
Why do you state the above?
I did my research and purchased an Arca-Swiss for my Hasselblad H4D50
Stanley

djonesii

Workshop Member
From all that I can tell, there is not much between the systems ......

But, on a purchase of this scale, I went with a dealer. It is proving a very wise decision. MFDB's are complex beasts. The software is a big part of the flow, and I had to give up my Adobe Lightroom as my raw converter. Looked at C1, and it's a great bit of code.

As for value to dollar, I put up with a Mamiya ZD back for almost a year before I could tolerate it no more, but it sold me on the advantages of MFDB over FF SLR, shot the ZD vs and Nikon D3X, and the difference was very noticeable. In favor of MFDB. Succumbed to a P30+ when I had the extra cash AND the knowledge that MFDB in the studio would give me the warm fuzzy feeling that I needed to spend used sports car money on a camera.

Would you really rather have a hot Mazda or newer Harley? How about a month long photo safari for two in Kenya? That's the decision making process for a hobby shooter like me.

If you are a landscape shooter, I would strongly suggest dropping about 1K on a LF kit and shoot a bit of film, look to have it drum scanned, and that will give you a really good idea of the process.

If you are a studio shooter, Pickup an Mamiya AFD for a few hundred bucks, shoot some film, and have it scanned. The shooting process is almost identical, and shooting a good B&W film, the results are darn close, the convenience factor is way different.

Check the classifieds for Precision camera, they have a new scanning service.

Hope it works out!

and Abandon all hope if you do jump

Dave

David K

Workshop Member
But, on a purchase of this scale, I went with a dealer. It is proving a very wise decision. MFDB's are complex beasts.
Dave
This comment deserves underscoring irrespective of which brand you choose. In the unfortunate event you have a problem with your kit you really need a reputable supportive dealer at your side.

J

jusuplus

Thanks for the comments so far. I shoot for now mostly cars,landscape, and portraits and sometimes weddings. Iḿ thinking of leaving my 35mm for that purpose only.Is there a good place where i can find second hand mf:s at europe like h4d-40 or p40 and 645df . Is there a lot of diffrence between 645 df and af ?

GMB

This should be a spirited discussion! :watch:
Seems I need to throw the S2 into the debate to get things going :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Seriously, unless it's beyond the budget of the OP, it should be part of the matrix.

In any event, I think that any differences in image quality from all Hassi, Phase, and S2 are minute and that all of these systems are capable of producing superbe files with the photographer being the limiting factor. The differences are in handling ergonomics etc, and that in my view is a personal issue.

As said on many other threads by many others: test before buy.

Good luck.

Georg

johnnygoesdigital

Both cameras produce amazing results. Phase DF also has a focal plane shutter that allows 1/4000th of a second, in case those high speed action shots are necessary. The S2 also has a focal plane, but is a closed system. The H4D/40, has micro-lenses that produce good low light results - good for weddings, but create color cast issues if used on a tech camera with wide lenses. The Phase Df and DB combo can be used with any other DF, no need to have them calibrated at the factory. Although, calibration with the DB and camera, like Hasselblad requires, can be a good thing too, as tolerances in different camera bodies can't always be so exact, but Hasselblad specifically matches each DB to camera, not always convenient, but insures good communication.
Personally, I like the long exposures of a P30+ DB, the file size is perfect and the lenses resolve beautifully at this resolution. As mentioned before Hasselblad can be used for tech, and I think some H4D50's have a single battery option. Either camera will be a huge upgrade to 35mm...this is a good time to be a photographer! Also, look at the Pentax 645D.

atanabe

Thanks for the comments so far. I shoot for now mostly cars,landscape, and portraits and sometimes weddings.
If you are shooting beauty shots of cars, MF will really shine (pun intended) for racing action, not so good. +++ for landscape work. For portraits and weddings, the resolving power is really, really, good on MF and you may end up doing a bit more retouching or need to have a good makeup person to erase blemishes on the ladies.

alan_w_george

Curious about that too. I purchased a Technikardan 23 to use with my Hasselblad cfv39.
The fact that you have to purchase a third party external battery to use a Hasselblad digital back on anything other then a Hasselblad SLR is indicative to me that Hasselblad is not thinking/designing their backs for any other purpose than to be used on their own SLRs. Also the fact that Hasselblad sues to keep others backs off their SLRs tells me they are not interested in 3rd party solutions which would include tech cameras.

Just an observation but it seems to me that the use of Hasselblad backs on digitally design tech cameras (i.e. Alpa, Combo, "cameras not design for film") is the exception and Phase and Leaf being far more prevalent.

DDudenbostel

I've not used the H system and really don't know that much about it but my V system indicates the interest Hasselblad has in existing customers and integrating the CFV39 & 50 backs with tech cameras. The V back functions perfectly on technical cameras like my Technikardan 23. The V back uses an on board Hasselblad/Sony battery and both the H & V backs can be powered off the firewire port of a laptop or desktop computer. Again I'm not familiar with other manufactures products like the V Hasselblad back but I don't recall any other makers backs working on the V cameras without a sync cable between the camera and the back. As you know the V back requires no sync cable on the V bodies. I guess that one could say that Leaf and Phase have not designed / thought out the use of their backs on anything other than a Mamiya / phase or digital technical camera.

I don't really see it as a lack of planning or design concern but really targeting different types of customer. I think this is also true of the H and V system backs from Hasselblad. Hasselblad targeted two distinctly different groups of users.