The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ Series FireWire 800 Cable

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This is sort of a short story. I went to NY to shoot and I forgot my 160 firewire cable thinking nothing about the fact that Phase went from Firewire 400 to 800 on the IQ series. I had my normal cables that I always had but i did have a 800 to 400 with adapter to 800 with me( everything needs 800/800 now). So i am about to do a shoot with about 100 people in the room and show models on the big screen as I shot them. I'm setting up and realize oh my this 800 cable will NOT fit in the port of the IQ series backs the plastic sheathing is too fat. I'm like okay smart guy what do you do now. Incoming buck knife from a staff member. I literally shaved the plastic sheathing off the sides of the cable at the connector end to get down to the bare metal. Than I thought if I put bare metal in the IQ port I could just simply fry the back. So i immediately grabbed the scotch tape and wrapped that around the metal and still thin enough to work and it did, the shoot went fine and no one knew the difference except me and I was not happy that I completely did not think of this but still had 4 old cables in my bag to shoot with. I was prepared but misguided for sure. LOL ( old cables went directly to trash)

So i order this new cable from CI at 33 ft and just tested it . This maybe the best Firewire cable I ever used. It fits precisely in the IQ series back like a glove with no movement or flop and works like a charm. Now you don't have to order from them and not a plug for Ci and I am sure you can find this cable elsewhere but CI went the extra mile to find exactly the correct cables for the IQ so they got my money in a heart beat. They have two sizes 15 and 33ft. I know they come with 15ft cables but they are way to short. I like plenty of cable for tripping accidents . I have seen cameras fly off tables or tripods falling with too short of cables as there is no play for the 6 ft of cable being sucked up by some idiot tripping over the cable and usually that is me and not only that I lost a laptop like this years ago. LOL

Here is a link to the one I bought but you can get your google search going and find other companies that sell these but this one fits perfectly and BTW less than 3 seconds to preview a 60 mpx file. Now that rocks my world

here is a link

http://www.captureintegration.com/store/phase-one-accessories/

jlm

Workshop Member
i had to do the same thing to get a FW cable into my Blad back...what's up with those fat ends?