Site Sponsors

Thread: Stitching multiple 40MP files - computer 'grunt' required

Post Thanks / Like

Stitching multiple 40MP files - computer 'grunt' required

Hello all,

I am about to embark on a pretty ambitious task - creating a large panoramic file using about 24 files from my 40 megapixel 645D. I have a Mac Pro with 16gb of RAM and am about to install Photoshop CS5 so that I can use 64-bit processing's ability to allocate most of the RAM to Photoshop for the task. I can't test thins yet - because I don't yet have the software. But I know my current set up with CS3 (with its associated RAM limitations) won't even come close to performing the task. Just for giggles, I tried a few things in CS3 to do a quick preview of how the full file will look. I created smaller JPG versions of the files; I stitched pairs of files together, then joined those files together; etc.. All of this had problems - the smaller JPGs would not stitch together unless they were very small indeed! Stitching in pairs created very odd perspective artefacts that were hard to fix later (I am assuming that stitching all of the files at once will not have this problem, but maybe I am wrong about that...).

Anyway, I have decided to try and use CS5 (with 15gb of RAM) to stitch all of the files together at once, hopefully as 16-bit TIFFs. This is asking a lot, of course. So my question is - how much RAM do you think I will need to do such a thing (joining 24 40MP 16-bit TIFF files together as one operation)? Will 15 be enough or am I, as I suspect, not even close? I could get even more RAM of course, but not sure if such a thing is needed. And will joining all files together at once create a different (and better) perspective result than joining files together in pairs and doing it progressively?

Many thanks!

Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Stitching multiple 40MP files - computer 'grunt' required

Is there not a 30 day free "try it" feature with CS5? Just download and try it out, if it fails try 8 bit tiff.

Cheers, -Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Peter. Not sure if that is available as an option, but will look into it. However, it anyone has any experience of how much RAM I will require, such advice would also be most welcome.

Best wishes,
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

This might or might not help. I use a 1st gen MacPro w/ 8GB and have stitched 10 33MP 16 bit TIFFs in CS5. It was not exactly pleasant, but it did it. Once assembled it handled the file just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another thought, maybe try AutoPanoPro (I know they have a 30 day trial). It works very well, however I have never tried a job as large as the one you suggest. In any case, it may just take longer - even over-night, but it should complete it even though it may be RAM starved.

Cheers, -Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It dös Not matter how much ram you have. It will just take longer. The more ram you have the quicker the process. I currently have 48gb and even 20 images shot with the P65 stitch easily in PtGui or AutoPano. However, opening them in CS4/5 is another story. It is sad, that as far as I know Adobe still can't use a lot of CPUs cores for this purpose.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that guys.

Christopher - it appears that this is one operation for which the amount of RAM does matter (at least when it's done in Photoshop). With my current set-up, which is rather RAM limited, I get an error message saying that the operation cannot be performed due to a lack of RAM. So it's not just a speed issue. Even the fact I have a large scratch disc does not prevent this from happening.

My suspicion is that this is the case because comparing files and putting them together is something that requires a certain amount of data to actually be held in RAM at once (passing data back and forth to a scratch disc or just doing it slowly using a small amount of RAM seems not to be a substitute) - if it can't 'hold the information in its head' the operation cannot be performed at all. Now, I am no expert in this area, but that's my read on things.

If it it just a case of being patient with a slow operation, I would put up with that for such a relatively rare task. But sadly sufficient RAM seems to be required for it to be done at all.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have installed maximum RAM and allocated it to CS5 in 64-bit mode then there's not much else you can do except use a fast SSD as a scratch disk.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Graham,

I have not yet done that because I have not yet installed CS5 (am away from home for a few days and will do so soon). I also have not installed maximum RAM because I have not yet purchased more. In fact one of the goals of my question was to establish how much RAM I might need to purchase for such a task. At present, your statement 'maximum RAM' refers (I think) to 96gb if I chose to spend a lot to purchase such a thing, but I would rather spend less! So some indication of what is required to enable my computer to perform the task in the first place is really what I am after.

Also, re. scratch disks, as indicated above, this seems to be an operation that does not make use of them (I already have a huge scratch disk, but the computer stops the operation due to lack of RAM).

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ed, I don't know for sure but I imagine that your 'tiles' are about 225MB each, which for 40 tiles should be in the vicinity of 9GB, and the resulting layered file should be similar in size (you could check these file sizes yourself with a smaller test). So I would estimate that 18GB would be enough RAM to avoid scratch disk usage. The rest should be down to processor and disk performance. This is all just my 'hunch' and shouldn't be taken too seriously

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Graham - I can see the logic! I'll try it once I have installed CS5 with my existing 16gb of RAM (allocating 15) and see what happens. If that's not enough, I'll upgrade... Either way, I shall share the outcomes here :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed HUrst View Post
    Thanks for that guys.

Christopher - it appears that this is one operation for which the amount of RAM does matter (at least when it's done in Photoshop). With my current set-up, which is rather RAM limited, I get an error message saying that the operation cannot be performed due to a lack of RAM. So it's not just a speed issue. Even the fact I have a large scratch disc does not prevent this from happening.
    It does seem incredible that Photoshop cannot use a scratch disc when it runs out of RAM .... what do we pay all that money for? Is 5.5 any different?

I just got a 4TB 3 Gigabit e-SATA external disc for my Mac Book Pro ¿but would it help?

I am expecting to get a £10K Mac Pro sometime, when I need it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dick,

Apologies if I have confused matters! PS does indeed use a scratch disc (and there are lots of settings etc. you can choose related to how this works). Thing is, from experience seems to suggest that doesn't help with the specific operation of stitching. I would be delighted to be shown to be wrong about this btw!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ed:

I don't think it will be a problem, just slow. Here's a 7 exposure stitch of 645D files done on my laptop with only 6GB RAM and no separate scratch disk. (CS4, Win 7, 64 bit)

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dick,

Apologies if I have confused matters! PS does indeed use a scratch disc (and there are lots of settings etc. you can choose related to how this works). Thing is, from experience seems to suggest that doesn't help with the specific operation of stitching. I would be delighted to be shown to be wrong about this btw!
    Stitching is one of the thing I want to be able to do - another is dof/focus stacking ,,, are the problems similar?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Ed, I have been doing a few of these panos with my 645D. A couple of suggestions. Reduce your files to 8 bit, you won't see the difference. If you are going to do any processing in ACR, be sure to save notes on the settings so all of the images have the same factors. Then create parts of the pano is sections. I have 10 gigs of RAM on my MacPro and I process 6 or 8 captures at a time so I don't have to go plow, plant, grow, and harvest zucchini before the file is processed. Just name them pano 1,2,3, etc. Then after you have the set, merge those. After you stitch the parts together, do your final post processing.
    On-line portfolio
    www.abouddweck.com

gimlor

I believe you need to enable the 3D hardware (GPU) support (within CS5) which might speed things up. If you have a good card and its supported for that feature it'll help . Then you can go finetune the GPU support options which become availalbe.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys - thanks for all the suggestions and ideas.

I shall certainly use 8 bit files if I need to (with my current CS3 set up and its lack of access to RAM, that made no difference with 23 files, but maybe it could allow me to do it with CS5 and about 15gb of RAM, if it won't do it with 16 bit files). As for doing the stitching in sections, see my notes on this above - I have found that doing this messes up the perspective in a complicated way that is hard to fix later; it creates 'bowing' around the centre of each of the frames I create as an intermediate step which then means that the overall file at the end has a strange set of multiple distortions (if you know what I mean). I am hoping to be able to do the thing in one go and avoid this problem; I know there will still be distortion, but am hoping it will be a single sweep of distortion that can be more easily fixed. Do you know if doing it in one go achieves this (i.e. simpler distortion compared to the multiple distortions that occur with doing the files in stages)?

Thanks also for the idea about enabling 3D hardware (GPU) support. I do have a good card, so will try this (though I have read conflicting accounts of whether this actually helps or not)...

Once I get CS5 installed, and perhaps more RAM (if needed), I will report back!

Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

May I ask a question related to the above? Early versions of Photoshop limited the size of a file that PS3 and earlier could open to 30,000 pixels wide or less. Now with PS5, I can open and edit much larger panoramas with relative ease on my i7 Windows 7 64bit machine (some third-party plugins refuse to work properly, however). When it comes to saving and uploading for printing, I need to reduce the pixel dimensions to less than 30,000 wide again, otherwise PS5 won't let me save as a JPEG. My last steps in PS5 are sharpening, convert to sRGB and reduce bit depth. But saving as a JPEG doesn't seem to be possible. Where is the limitation, how can I circumvent this? I gave up in-house printing some years ago.
    Thanks, -Christopher

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion is to convert to 8 bit tiff, stitch, then back to 16 bit. Any manipulation after you stitch will be much smoother using 16 bit.

gimlor

Hey guys - thanks for all the suggestions and ideas.

I shall certainly use 8 bit files if I need to (with my current CS3 set up and its lack of access to RAM, that made no difference with 23 files, but maybe it could allow me to do it with CS5 and about 15gb of RAM, if it won't do it with 16 bit files). As for doing the stitching in sections, see my notes on this above - I have found that doing this messes up the perspective in a complicated way that is hard to fix later; it creates 'bowing' around the centre of each of the frames I create as an intermediate step which then means that the overall file at the end has a strange set of multiple distortions (if you know what I mean). I am hoping to be able to do the thing in one go and avoid this problem; I know there will still be distortion, but am hoping it will be a single sweep of distortion that can be more easily fixed. Do you know if doing it in one go achieves this (i.e. simpler distortion compared to the multiple distortions that occur with doing the files in stages)?

Thanks also for the idea about enabling 3D hardware (GPU) support. I do have a good card, so will try this (though I have read conflicting accounts of whether this actually helps or not)...

Once I get CS5 installed, and perhaps more RAM (if needed), I will report back!

Ed
    Np, i'm curious to hear back from you as i never did something like that myself Btw, most modern GPUs beat any normal CPU when it comes to math operations so that is what i'm hoping will speed things up. (assuming CS5 can work in full mode with the card you have)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't have a modern Mac, but if i am looking to buy a new Mac computer for photos processing and stitching, what specifications i should look at? Minimum or standard[can't go for maximum as it will cost too much, so will keep minimum or average and will upgrade things later if it is upgradable].
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It depends how much you want to spent. You could probably go as low as 1000EUR for a very fast pc, and go till 10000EURs. For a MAC I would say you have to ad around 10-30% of costs to get the same performance. From a PC stand point I would go for a fast quad-core, 16GB of RAM, a SSD as OS drive and the other stuff as you need. You can save a lot on the graphic card, or waste a lot of money. If by any chance Adobe or any other company would start to use the graphic card, you can still upgrade later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gimlor View Post
    Np, i'm curious to hear back from you as i never did something like that myself Btw, most modern GPUs beat any normal CPU when it comes to math operations so that is what i'm hoping will speed things up. (assuming CS5 can work in full mode with the card you have)
    CS5 uses the GPU only for minor things. There isn't a real speed difference whether you use a 100eur card or a 5000eur card. Sadly but true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    It depends how much you want to spent. You could probably go as low as 1000EUR for a very fast pc, and go till 10000EURs. For a MAC I would say you have to ad around 10-30% of costs to get the same performance. From a PC stand point I would go for a fast quad-core, 16GB of RAM, a SSD as OS drive and the other stuff as you need. You can save a lot on the graphic card, or waste a lot of money. If by any chance Adobe or any other company would start to use the graphic card, you can still upgrade later.
    CS5 uses the GPU only for minor things. There isn't a real speed difference whether you use a 100eur card or a 5000eur card. Sadly but true.
    I know it depends on budget, but i was thinking what is the minimum i should go with, i may buy a Mac computer and then find out that it is even not at minimum requirements, sure i will go with specifications more than my current Macs i have already, but as i said, i can't spend too much money as i am not lucky as most people here, and i said that i may upgrade later, so if i go with 8GB or 16GB i can upgrade to 32 in the future, this is what the salesman told me last time i checked Mac system, also now sure what Processor i should go with, 8-core, 6? 12? i5? i100? and Graphics card, what is the story behind it? I really can't understand why one GC can be better or worse than another even if they both in same memory buffer or size or whatever, i think the most important thing i need the computer for is if i will stitch large files from MF or even 35mm DSLRs.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok here we go. I assume you are interested in Mac Pro. Here is the problem. You are really limited. There are only 2 main choices. A single CPU or dual CPU computer. The difference between both besides the CPU count is, that the single CPU can have up to 32GB if RAM and the other can have up to 64GB. Both use Intel Xeon models. You can't have a i5 or i7. I would say there isn't a big need fot 32GB of RAM.

Just an example: to get 16Gb of RAM out of 4 slots it would cost around 100US, however if you wanted to use only 2 (so that later you can go to 32GB) it would already cost you around 400US. (Same quality of Memory)

The most important point if you want to save money, but have to get a MAC is, buy it nearly empty and upgrade it. You will save so much money.

Here are a few numbers. To go from 3 to 16Gb of RAM Apple charges 775US. If you find somebody to do it it shouldn't be more than 200US.

A 2TB HD costs 300 with apple, the drive alone is around 140-200US

So to summarize:
    As I said I would go for a fast quad-core, 16GB of RAM, a SSD as OS drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok here we go. I assume you are interested in Mac Pro. Here is the problem. You are really limited. There are only 2 main choices. A single CPU or dual CPU computer. The difference between both besides the CPU count is, that the single CPU can have up to 32GB if RAM and the other can have up to 64GB. Both use Intel Xeon models. You can't have a i5 or i7. I would say there isn't a big need fot 32GB of RAM.

Just an example: to get 16Gb of RAM out of 4 slots it would cost around 100US, however if you wanted to use only 2 (so that later you can go to 32GB) it would already cost you around 400US. (Same quality of Memory)

The most important point if you want to save money, but have to get a MAC is, buy it nearly empty and upgrade it. You will save so much money.

Here are a few numbers. To go from 3 to 16Gb of RAM Apple charges 775US. If you find somebody to do it it shouldn't be more than 200US.

A 2TB HD costs 300 with apple, the drive alone is around 140-200US

So to summarize:
    As I said I would go for a fast quad-core, 16GB of RAM, a SSD as OS drive.
    Yes, i will buy a Mac Pro.

Well, i was thinking to have a budget mostly about $2000 for that Mac Pro, i can add few more bucks if needed, but not too much like $3000 and above.
    Tareq

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OWC sells ram and right now for the Mac Pro seems like very good prices. Not sure which MP you are getting and you may want to look at Apples refurbished models. But check out some of the ram prices here

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memor...ry#1333-memory
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are some current offerings from Apple on refurbished models.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...co=MjEwNzM3NTk
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, nice offers for the RAM, but i can't decide now until i buy Mac Pro and see.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Buy everything outside of Apple for sure. OWC pretty much has everything you need and I would get your ram there and I do use there SSD drives also. So always buy from Apple the most you can buy with regards to processors since you can't change or add later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Should i go with Quad core or 8 core or 12?
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tareq,

You might want to read Lloyd Chambers' guide to configuring the Mac Pro here: http://macperformanceguide.com/Mac-H...reAMacPro.html

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1 to Guy's suggestion about OWC (http://www.macsales.com) and I will add that their RAM is guaranteed for life. I had a couple of sticks of 2GB RAM get a bit wonky after upgrading to OS X Lion and they swapped them out no problem. I bought this RAM in 2008. My suggestion is to order a Mac Pro with the CPU horsepower and video card you need. Then go to OWC to bump up the RAM. SATA hard drives are super simple to install on a Mac Pro and you can pick those up cheap at CompUSA/TigerDirect if you are in the USA.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Whatever you do, spend the money on RAM and SSD before incremental CPU upgrades.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry but you want to spend around 2000-3000 and get 8 or 12 cores ? The 8 core, which has 2 Quad core CPUs, will cost around 3500 without any extras and the 12 core starts at 5000US.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was talking about 6-core, but if i will go with 8-core as final decision then i will put minimum $3000+, i found a Mac Pro 8-core with good specifications around $3200, i may get it around $3000, no rush.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

I've stitched panoramas with 8 to 12 frames from a P65+ (60 megapixel, 16bit TIFFs) on a 2009 quad-core 2.66 MacPro with 16GB on CS5 without any performance issues. I just re-ran an 8 frame panorama and it took about 7 minutes in CS5.

The other program you should consider is PTgui. I ended up using it for the final stitched image because CS5 left an odd grid in an area of the image which PTgui didn't.

If you've only got one panorama to do, just leave it run overnight.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like

I woill also endorse PTGui. It is based on Pano Tools, a very sophisticated pano app developed in academia, and the interface has really improved. I've tried a half dozen and PTGui seems the best, esp for IQ

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I bought PTGui so i will use it definitely, no point i buy it and not use it at all, and i tested it beside PS, PTGui won my vote, i have another software but i didn't test it yet [pano giga or something similar, gigapan maybe].
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Right! I can report back on some results...

I have now got CS5 installed on my Mac Pro. I have 16GB of RAM, of which approx. 14GB is allocated to Photoshop (which represents 90% of the total RAM - probably not the best % from an efficiency point of view, but I didn't want it to max out the RAM). The machine itself has 2.93 GHz Intel Xeon processors (8 core).

I set CS5 the task of stitching 23 files simultaneously, each from the 645D. It took 20 minutes to do the automatic aligning stage. It then took almost exactly an hour to do the auto blending of the files. Then a further 10 minutes to actually render this blended (and still layered) file on the screen.

The other thing I can report is that blending all the files at once does indeed deliver a much better result (in terms of perspective / distortion) than blending the individual files in batches, then joining those blended files together (which was something I did as a workaround when I had access to less RAM).

Altogether a successful and interesting exercise.

This is 'hot off the press', so all I can show you is a file that is as yet not fully tidied up. But, just to show the initial result, see attached file.

I plan to get 32GB of RAM, so will repeat the exercise then.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry that the file is not attached - having some trouble with that for some reason...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry that the file is not attached - having some trouble with that for some reason...
    How big the size of this file?
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

It is only 282k, so not sure what was going wrong! Anyway, let me try again now...

gimlor

Looks really nice !

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Now that I have the computing power to do this sort of stitching, I think I will go back to the individual files here and pull more detail out of the dark area on the bottom right... The redo the whole thing!

BTW, I have just obtained 32GB of RAM, so I will report back on the difference this makes to the performance of the stitching job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations on your new monster.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com