Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hoods on Tech Cams

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hoods on Tech Cams

A question about hoods and lenses came up in another thread, and instead of taking that particular thread more off topic, I decided to start a new thread for this discussion. (See: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...630#post343630)

In that thread, Jurgen asked,

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Jack

This is exactly the reason , why I believe , that the ARCA 6x9 hood is too small in width . Not in length .
    I still doubt , that this hood is sufficient enough to be used with the DIGARON-W 4/40 lens when shifted , say about 10-12 mm . Don't forget , the image angle of that lens is 94 degrees .
    So I took the time today to test it at lunch. The camera is my Arca RM3D with Phase IQ180 back, lens is the 40HR-W Digiron, and the hood is the Arca 6x9 #111000 bellows hood. (Special thanks to Rod Klukas on this forum for the speedy delivery of his demo hood for me to test.)

My goal was to create the worst possible scenario for a hood over a wide lens on a tech cam. To accomplish this I shifted to the very corner of the 40's IC. This required 10mm R shift and 15mm Rise, and was confirmed by the very upper RH corner being clipped black from loss of IC. Next I positioned the Sun just outside the frame at top center. It was Noon, so in order to achieve that positioning, I needed to angle the camera up about 20 degrees in addition to the already added rise. The exposure is about 1/3 stop below having a clipped blue channel in the sky -- I think it was 1/60th at f8 at ISO 35. I then took a few frames and adjusted the hood so the top and RH edges just showed in the frame. Of course I could have adjusted it so the edges did not show, but my goal is to show that this hood can be adjusted finely enough to just shade the extreme margins of the frame.

Here is that frame. Obviously the image is only for demonstration, not art, so it has not been corrected at all, including no LCC:

I have inspected this frame thoroughly and there is no evidence of flare anywhere in it.

Here is the uncorrected LCC, captured by placing the LCC panel directly in front of the hood as it was for the above capture. You can easily see the hood margins as well as the lens falloff approaching max in the very corner:

Note that because it's pointing directly at the Sun, I had to UNDER expose the LCC by 2 stops to get a decent histo where we usually have to OVER expose by 2 for the LCC.

Here is the set-up on the camera:

From front, and no I did not blow the dust off before shooting!:

In conclusion, I would have to say this hood works (remarkably) well, at least for the 40HR-w and longer lenses. I realize some photographers may have more dextrous hands than I do and can probably form and them well enough and hold them accurately enough to get away without a hood. But unfortunately I am not one of them, so Rod you are not getting this hood back, send me a bill!

PS: Note that if needed I could make a slat out of black card stock to fit in the filter slots on the hood, insert it from camera left and effectively flag off the LH edge of this frame too. If I made it "L" shaped at the proper aspect ratio to convert the hood from square to 4:3, I could probably flag right to the limits at all 4 edges...

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Hoods on Tech Cams

Jack, do you have any information on whether this hood will work with the Rodenstock 23mm, 32mm, 120mm or 150mm? Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jack for posting this.
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice test bud. Darn setup looks nice.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cs750 View Post
    Jack, do you have any information on whether this hood will work with the Rodenstock 23mm, 32mm, 120mm or 150mm? Charles
    It should work fine on any lens longer as long as it can fit over the front. The 23 has basically no added IC to shift or tilt, so I suspect it will work for it as well. Christopher who has the 32 and the Arca says the small hood will not work, and so I believe him, but honestly cannot see why this won't work on that combo. However, *IF* you're using a center filter, then the front element of the 32 is so large that I am certain the larger hood would be the way to go.

On the upside, there is no real downside to getting the larger hood other than it's size --- ! The fact is they both will work the same way and offer the same net shading effect on any lens they fit over.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My pleasure Darr!

Thanks Guy!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    It should work fine on any lens longer a long as it can fit over the front. The 23 has basically no added IC to shift or tilt, so I suspect it will work for it as well. Christopher who has the 32 and the Arca says the small hood will not work, and so I believe him, but honestly cannot see why this won't work on that combo. However, *IF* you're using a center filter, then the front element of the 32 is so large that I am certain the larger hood would be the way to go.

On the upside, there is no real downside to getting the larger hood other than it's size --- ! The fact is they both will work the same way and offer the same net shading effect on any lens they fit over.
    Agree I would buy the big one out of the two as it would just be more versatile . I would think also you could extend it out further which would offer better light blocking. Besides all that my bet is you could get your hands in easier to operate the lens better.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How about, for a very low tech and cheapo solution (when the wind isn't blowing) a customised cardboard or plastic sheet held by a $29 "Flare Buster".

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just for clarification. I thought it would fit. I just got out my 6x9 hood and the 32mm. It does NOT fit at all. I thought it did, but I can't get it over the lens at all. It is to small.

So one needs the 4x5'' version. (111001)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What Guy said is correct and works great. With the larger one, you just have more space to get to the shutter and other settings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Christopher,

By how much won't it fit over the front barrel? Meaning, could enough of the excess overlap material be removed from the rear frame to allow it to fit?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not by much. I would say around 1,5mm on each side. However, I would say, if one spends so much on a lens, I would always get the center filter as well. With that you could remove as you want and it wouldn't fit. So I went with the larger hood and I am perfectly happy. Jack were you able to test the thing I wrote you about, a few weeks ago?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is no real shading system for any technical camera system which satisfies my imagination for quality and stability .

In front of me on my table , I have four shading hoods which can be used or eventually be modified for MFD technical cameras .

LEE universal , LEE wide angle , ARCA SWISS 6x9 , HASSELBLAD Pro Shade .

Both LEE shades are attached to the lens by a screw-in adapter .
    The ARCA SWISS 6x9 shade is attached by means of a rod to the camera body .
    The HASSELBLAD Pro Shade is attached to the lens via Bajonet .

Most of the forum members surely know that .

But here some figures :

The LEE universal is 190 gramms including the screw in adapter . The front width is 11cm .
    The LEE wide angle beast has a width of 13,5x17,5 cm and weighs 250 gramms .
    The ARCA shade is 195 gramms (including the rod) and has a widths of
    only 9 cm . I don't have any figures for the bigger shade .
    (Christopher might be able to give these figures)

The HASSELBLAD compendium , just as a comparison , is 260 gramms and has a width of 10,5 cm .

I don't like the idea of the screw-in adapted shades , because all the shade's weight is on the front thread of the lens . Additional the fiddling around , when screwing in the adapter .
    I don't like the "rod solution" very much , as the whole thing waggles around . I have used that shade many years in my LF days with the ARCA 6x9/4x5 . Focal length of the lenses all above 90mm .

Therefore I have the idea of a slip-on solution plus a rod to stabilize the whole monster .
    There will be the need to make an attachment for a rod to camera for the LEE hoods or a slip-on gear for the ARCA hood .
    IMO , both can be easily done by a good mechanic .

Any better ideas ? ? ?
    No baseball caps or umbrellas , please .

Stephengilbert (Steve) has given me an interesting link .

http://www.skgrimes.com/products/slip-on-filter-adapter

This genious man could possibly supply an adapter made to given specifications .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't like the "rod solution" very much , as the whole thing waggles around . I have used that shade many years in my LF days with the ARCA 6x9/4x5 .
    Hmmm. Mine doesn't wiggle at all and is very stable. Maybe yours is worn and needs to be replaced?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jurgen,

If you're interested in weight, my SKGrimes slip on adapter to use a 67 mm filter or hood on a 35 or 47mm Digitar weighs 17 grams.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine does not wiggle at all. What I like about it is that I can have it very stable or when I don't tighten the screws to much i can move it around more easily.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Hmmm. Mine doesn't wiggle at all and is very stable. Maybe yours is worn and needs to be replaced?
    Jack

No , its not worn . This hood already existed long before the Rm3d was born . The rod is attached to the front frame of the 6x9 ARCA by means of a plugin clamp which has a little play . The leverage of the rod then shows a play of about 2mm in horizontal and vertical direction at the point , where the hood is mounted .
    The Rm3d has a different and very stable attachment to the camerabody as I can see from your shown image .

This fact makes it even much easier to make a similar attachment for the ALPA body .
    @ Christopher .
    Please can you give the size of your hood as I have given above ?
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Jürgen
    Would you happen to know if the Lee Wide angle shades work on the Rodenstock 32 HR with a regular 86mm lens adapter?unfortunately Lee does not have a dedicated 86 wide angle lens adapter so I am wondering if there is vignetting caused by the regular adapter.
    I assume the regular Lee compendium shade is not wide enough for the 32HR
    Any info on that.
    Thanks

Grischa
    There is no real shading system for any technical camera system which satisfies my imagination for quality and stability .

In front of me on my table , I have four shading hoods which can be used or eventually be modified for MFD technical cameras .

LEE universal , LEE wide angle , ARCA SWISS 6x9 , HASSELBLAD Pro Shade .

Both LEE shades are attached to the lens by a screw-in adapter .
    The ARCA SWISS 6x9 shade is attached by means of a rod to the camera body .
    The HASSELBLAD Pro Shade is attached to the lens via Bajonet .

Most of the forum members surely know that .

But here some figures :

The LEE universal is 190 gramms including the screw in adapter . The front width is 11cm .
    The LEE wide angle beast has a width of 13,5x17,5 cm and weighs 250 gramms .
    The ARCA shade is 195 gramms (including the rod) and has a widths of
    only 9 cm . I don't have any figures for the bigger shade .
    (Christopher might be able to give these figures)

The HASSELBLAD compendium , just as a comparison , is 260 gramms and has a width of 10,5 cm .

I don't like the idea of the screw-in adapted shades , because all the shade's weight is on the front thread of the lens . Additional the fiddling around , when screwing in the adapter .
    I don't like the "rod solution" very much , as the whole thing waggles around . I have used that shade many years in my LF days with the ARCA 6x9/4x5 . Focal length of the lenses all above 90mm .

Therefore I have the idea of a slip-on solution plus a rod to stabilize the whole monster .
    There will be the need to make an attachment for a rod to camera for the LEE hoods or a slip-on gear for the ARCA hood .
    IMO , both can be easily done by a good mechanic .

Any better ideas ? ? ?
    No baseball caps or umbrellas , please .

Stephengilbert (Steve) has given me an interesting link .

http://www.skgrimes.com/products/slip-on-filter-adapter

This genious man could possibly supply an adapter made to given specifications .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rupho View Post
    Jürgen
    Would you happen to know if the Lee Wide angle shades work on the Rodenstock 32 HR with a regular 86mm lens adapter?unfortunately Lee does not have a dedicated 86 wide angle lens adapter so I am wondering if there is vignetting caused by the regular adapter.
    I assume the regular Lee compendium shade is not wide enough for the 32HR
    Any info on that.
    Thanks

Grischa

Grischa

Yes it is true , there is no WA adapter ring 86 (and bigger) .
    I use the M86 adapter ring with the WA shade on my DIGARON-S 28mm
    and have not experienced any vignetting so far .
    As the image circle of that lens is only 70mm , I do not use that lens with shifting . The HASSELBLAD CFV-50 back , which I use , has no FF sensor . So vignetting is only a minor issue for me .
    Hope this helps .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

Danke Jürgen
    I contacted a sales and tech rep from Lee in the UK and he said the Wide Angle lens hood is designed to cover lenses up to 95 degree viewing angle.
    My 32 got 107 degrees and your 28mm is probably around 115 degrees.
    I am surprised that you have not experienced vignetting even on your CFV 50.
    Best Grischa

Grischa

Yes it is true , there is no WA adapter ring 86 (and bigger) .
    I use the M86 adapter ring with the WA shade on my DIGARON-S 28mm
    and have not experienced any vignetting so far .
    As the image circle of that lens is only 70mm , I do not use that lens with shifting . The HASSELBLAD CFV-50 back , which I use , has no FF sensor . So vignetting is only a minor issue for me .
    Hope this helps .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What I have ordered - just one of the reasons I think the artec is a well thought system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That fit in a screw in 72 mm thread. Looking for something for a 35 XL with center filter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Danke Jürgen
    I contacted a sales and tech rep from Lee in the UK and he said the Wide Angle lens hood is designed to cover lenses up to 95 degree viewing angle.
    My 32 got 107 degrees and your 28mm is probably around 115 degrees.
    I am surprised that you have not experienced vignetting even on your CFV 50.
    Best Grischa
    Grischa

I can Not believe what the guy told you .
    If the LEE WA shade is in its "widest angle position" , it still puts shade on your
    WA lens and the bellows angle is far above 95 degrees .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    That fit in a screw in 72 mm thread. Looking for something for a 35 XL with center filter
    I find one of these work exceptionally well both with and without a camera:
    http://www.tilley.com

Sorry: couldn't resist...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lol but they don't come in black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Lol but they don't come in black.
    Oh, you want black?
    http://www.alpa.ch/en/products/misce.../alpa-cap.html

Post Thanks / Like

Jürgen
    I just tried the Lee wide-angle hood with a full frame sensor and the HR32
    The back was set in landscape orientation and it's OK with no movements but at around 4 mm rise / fall it shows the hood when fully extended .
    When I move the shade all the way back to the lens I can go up to 7 or 8 mm
    So it's really no useable IMO as pointed out by the Lee rep.
    But on a good note I have to say it is very well built and not wobbly at all
    Maybe with a 35mm or a smaller back it will work even shifted like a charm.
    Are there other options around for the 32 HR?
    Grischa

Grischa

If the LEE WA shade is in its "widest angle position" , it still puts shade on your

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

There's been a lot written here regarding the use of hoods while using a technical camera and thought I'd reintroduce the setup that has served me well for several years. The Flair Buster. I picked up something similar to this a couple years ago and found it worked. I began using this before I got the viewfinder and still do with the workflow just slightly modified (set scene using the viewfinder, remove and replace it with the flair buster. Or just hold the black card up to block any flair and keep using the viewfinder). One size fits all and it's under $1,000 (actually is runs $29.95).

A couple things have changed since I took this shot several years ago. The handles have been replaced with wooden grips, the P45+ was upgraded to a P65+ and I now have a viewfinder, other than that it remains the same.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jürgen
    I just tried the Lee wide-angle hood with a full frame sensor and the HR32
    The back was set in landscape orientation and it's OK with no movements but at around 4 mm rise / fall it shows the hood when fully extended .
    When I move the shade all the way back to the lens I can go up to 7 or 8 mm
    So it's really no useable IMO as pointed out by the Lee rep.
    But on a good note I have to say it is very well built and not wobbly at all
    Maybe with a 35mm or a smaller back it will work even shifted like a charm.
    Are there other options around for the 32 HR?
    Grischa
    Grischa

When you extend the hood , you will see that its shading angle changes .
    I do not understand why you fully extend the hood when using it with the
    HR32 . The resulting shading angle now does not correspond to the AOV of the lens .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    There's been a lot written here regarding the use of hoods while using a technical camera and thought I'd reintroduce the setup that has served me well for several years. The Flair Buster. I picked up something similar to this a couple years ago and found it worked. I began using this before I got the viewfinder and still do with the workflow just slightly modified (set scene using the viewfinder, remove and replace it with the flair buster. Or just hold the black card up to block any flair and keep using the viewfinder). One size fits all and it's under $1,000 (actually is runs $29.95).

A couple things have changed since I took this shot several years ago. The handles have been replaced with wooden grips, the P45+ was upgraded to a P65+ and I now have a viewfinder, other than that it remains the same.
    I used one of these back in the day - I'd forgotten what they are called. B&H has them. This plus a couple of pieces of black foamcore and you're in business. Not so hot in the wind, though.

NROCH

I use the 141mm Arca lens hood with my RL3D, as recommended by Martin at Arca. I was thinking to go with the 110m size (69) to try and save on space, but the extra 31mm has been very useful and it's not too much of a size difference. The widest lens I currently have is a 35, both the HR and XL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The endless lens shade / bellows hood journey

My lens shade / bellows hood journey has finally come to an end now .
    How happy I am .
    I have made up my mind and decided to design my own adapter/hood combination . The best is still the "rod system" .
    My intention was to use as much as possible of already existing components and not to invest money again into an other bellows hood system .

The ALPA adapter from : iPhone Mounting Bracket from NuvoFocus

gave me the final idea and i activated the rest of my brain and "designed" my own bellows hood gear .
    Nothing new really . Ideas from ARCA (20 yeras old) and CAMBO and of myself , of course .
    What I wanted , is to integrate the ALPA iPHONE holder .
    What I finally ended up with is an adapter where you mount the ALPA iphone holder shoe . Easier , simpler any cheaper .

As bellows , I used the LEE standard bellows hood which requires the M86 adapter ring .
    I produced two bellows holder , one for the LEE standard and the LEE WA bellows and one just for the LEE standard bellows .
    There is a minor change required for the WA holder and bellows .

Here you can see the adapter for the ALPA STC and for the LEE standard bellows .

Attachment 61123

Attachment 61124

Have a look to the reworked rod , which allows you to turn the camera by 90 degrees and the bellows holder will stay in place .

The ALPA iPHONE holder shoe is removed in the lower image .

Attachment 61125

The WA bellows in horizontal position

Attachment 61126

But also posiible in vertical position

Attachment 61127

The iphone of course does not make much sense here .
    I have rods of different length , 10 , 12,5 and 14,5 cm .
    That covers all my needs .

I decided to prefer the LEE bellows , as they are a bit wider than the ARCA bellows .

Attachment 61128

But the ARCA bellows still work fine with the RODIE 40mm .

So when I am out shooting and by luck an other ALPA guy comes along , I can always help out with "bellowing" .

I have also an adapter for my SWA . Images will follow .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw, I found another solution for the STC where I have an Arca Swiss compatible plate on both the bottom and the handle side (RRS MPR 73 in my case) and a Long Flare Buster.

If you use the RRS cold shoe mount adapter (FA-QRCS2) -> Flare Buster, and RRS QR Mount for Accessories (FA-QRM), then you can attach the flare buster to the body while still using the standard viewfinder. If you rotate the STC for rise/fall or shift then you can attach the flare buster to the spare plate.

I'll post pictures when I'm back at the end of the week if anyone wants to see.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Btw, I found another solution for the STC where I have an Arca Swiss compatible plate on both the bottom and the handle side (RRS MPR 73 in my case) and a Long Flare Buster.

If you use the RRS cold shoe mount adapter (FA-QRCS2) -> Flare Buster, and RRS QR Mount for Accessories (FA-QRM), then you can attach the flare buster to the body while still using the standard viewfinder. If you rotate the STC for rise/fall or shift then you can attach the flare buster to the spare plate.

I'll post pictures when I'm back at the end of the week if anyone wants to see.
    I would appreciate seeing images Graham. Thanks,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    I would appreciate seeing images Graham. Thanks,
    Bob
    Here you go - extra long Flare Buster with RRS FA-QRCS2 & FA-QRM on STC using the RRS MPR-73 that I have on bottom/side.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Graham. That's extraordinary! I'll study it.
    Any issues with wind causing vibrations?
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    Any issues with wind causing vibrations?
    Bob
    Wind will always be a problem with these kind of paddles .
    I remember , when I was shooting LF , I once pulled out the darkslide , but left it sticking at the far end of the cartridge . The wind loved that , but I only noticed that, after I developped the film .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unfortunately as Jurgen mentioned, any time you start sticking lightweight components out on to the front of the camera you basically create a wind trap. That applies not just to paddles but also to the bellows types of solution and even to general hoods if the wind load is high enough.

I don't use this when it's windy/breezy at all because whilst the arm is reasonably stiff it isn't solid. I do have a bigger more robust version from nasty clamps which is much less susceptible to side wind induced vibration but it is a bit of a monster.

I've put off buying the Alpa lens hood for a while but I'm going to get one of those eventually. The flare buster works in most situations but like all of these solutions it will always be a wind sail at some point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

does anyone know where to get those flare busters in europe?

thomas

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by photomgraphy View Post
    does anyone know where to get those flare busters in europe?

thomas
    Flare Buster

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post

I've put off buying the Alpa lens hood for a while but I'm going to get one of those eventually.
    This is the hood to put into your trouser pocket .
    I use it as a spare hood . It does not shade as good as a bellows hood but is
    extremely light .
    Attachment 61326
    Regards . Jürgen .
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lee Lens Hood for A-S R camera

It occurred to me while designing iPhone Mounting Bracket (NuvoFocus) that a simple bracket maybe used to mount 'compendium' type lens hood for ALPA and Cambo camera.

Then, Jürgen ordered an ALPA mounting bracket and told me that he was going try to do exactly that, mounting A-S compendium hood on his ALPA camera.

And, he did it.

After seeing his work, I decided to make a quick conversion kit to mount my old Lee Lens Hood on Rm3di Tech Camera.

Then, Jürgen stole my thunder by making Lee Lens Hood mounting bracket.

Now, my Lee Lens Hood is done.

It is a simple and inexpensive project. I cut 2.25" long aluminum angle (.75" x .75" x .125"), attached ALPA bracket (NuvoFocus) on it and drilled two small screw holes to mount it onto Lee Hood frame. You should position the screw holes to make the hood center around the lens. I used stock 0.3125" aluminum round for mounting rod.

The hood has two filter slots, 2 and 4 mm. I have Lee ND filters which fit into 2 mm slot, and glass polarizing filter which is too thick for 2 mm and too thin for 4 mm, so it would slide down. I attached one piece of 2 mm holder at the bottom so the polarizing filter would sit on it.

You would need two brackets (both ALPA or one ALPA and one Cambo) if you want to make a kit for ALPA or Cambo camera.

cheers,

Jae Moon
    Last edited by Jae_Moon; 25th July 2012 at 06:57.

Post Thanks / Like

extremely light .
    Attachment 61326
    Jurgen,

What lens hood is this? Looks like a good back-up or alternative when the compendium is not an option...

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ken,

That's an ALPA lens hood. Quite expensive, and limited to lenses with barrel OD of between 70 and 75 mm: ALPA of Switzerland - Manufacturers of remarkable cameras - ALPA Pro Lens Shade PLS 70-75

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

*ouch* I was hoping that Jurgen was going to reveal some secret source (other than Alpa) having conspired with Jae Moon on tech cam lens hood alternatives....

I know the Alpa "rubber" lens hood for the HR40 runs over $500....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ken

There are no secret sources , but the ideas of some getdpi members .
    I like that very much .
    Yes , the ALPA 70/75 PLS is expensive , but was my first accessory when I bought my ALPA SWA . (STC later) . I use the PLS as a kind of "backup" .
    Since then , I was thinking about making my own shading solution .

Jae's solution to use his adapter (nuvofocus) and a LEE bellows WA hood is simple and great and can be made by almost everyone with simple tools .

Is there a kind of rebirth for LEE bellow hoods ? ? ?
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

Juergen
    May I ask you how all this works when you apply rise and fall?
    P
    Ease correct me if I am wrong but on the STC I see this only working when the camera is in its intended orientation for use with shift ( horizontal left and right movement) but how about when the STC is turned by 90 degrees to apply rise and falls wouldn't the part of the camera where the lens is mounted hit the little screwed mount on top of the camera that holds the Lee filter rod?

I use the Max and mounting the rod on the camera frame at least with any sort of movements regardless of shift or rise and fall

I see this the main point of buying into a technical camera so I am wondering what the work around is in your set up when using rise and fall.

Don't get me wrong I think it looks great and I am also frustrated by the lack of options but if you want to apply rise and fall to your photography the hood need to be mounted to the lens or you use the flare buster where the lens does not hit the hood if rise and fall is applied

What's your take on this, maybe I am missing something

Thanks for sharing

Grischa

Ken

There are no secret sources , but the ideas of some getdpi members .
    I like that very much .
    Yes , the ALPA 70/75 PLS is expensive , but was my first accessory when I bought my ALPA SWA . (STC later) . I use the PLS as a kind of "backup" .
    Since then , I was thinking about making my own shading solution .

Jae's solution to use his adapter (nuvofocus) and a LEE bellows WA hood is simple and great and can be made by almost everyone with simple tools .

Is there a kind of rebirth for LEE bellow hoods ? ? ?

Post Thanks / Like

This lens shade can be used with the 23mm HR and HR40 mm among a few other lenses I don't recall
    As a caution to others at try to eliminate the well documentned lens flare on the 23 HR please note that this shade is very hard to get mounted precisely on that lens in order to void the flare without the shade showing up in the frame it's really hard and I gave up on it and returned the shade
    Maybe for the HR40 mm it works better but the 23 HR is a matter of less than a mm of tolerance to get it right between helping to get rid of the aperture sized center flare in certain light conditions and for the shade not to show in the frame
    Anyway that's my experience anyway
    My way of dealing with it is to have 2 quick shots if the flare shows up one with the flare and the other with my hand shading the upper part of the frame and then combine the 2 shots which is quicker than trying to mount the shade to the exact position.

extremely light .
    Attachment 61326

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here you can see the adapter for the ALPA STC and for the LEE standard bellows .

Attachment 61123

Attachment 61124

Have a look to the reworked rod , which allows you to turn the camera by 90 degrees and the bellows holder will stay in place .

Attachment 61128

But the ARCA bellows still work fine with the RODIE 40mm .
    I do not claim that my bellows system is perfect , but it fits my needs
    so far . If I should encounter situations , where it needs further modifications , I will do them .
    Have a look to image two .
    The front and rear ends of the rod are reworked to have a flat part .
    Here the screws can hold the rod and prevent the rod from turning .

I have the HR-DIGARON 28mm lens , but never do any shifting with that lens . The possible shift amount is very small anyway .
    My next focal length is the HR-DIGARON 40mm .
    If shift is required , I can use the ARCA bellows because that hood can easily be moved into proper shading position . Have a look to image three with the ARCA bellows .
    Unfortunately , the ARCA bellows can not be turned .
    But the LEE bellows can , but it is not required for the standard type , because that has a square form .

The LEE standard bellows are wide enough to properly shade most of the movement . My CFV-50 sensor is 37x49 . That makes things easier .
    Horizontal and vertikal .
    Please keep in mind , that I wanted to use as much available gear as possible .

The PLS fits very well to the 28mm RODIE .
    I can't speek for the 23mm RODIE . I have never had one in my hands .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

Grischa

I have a LEE WA shade and it works well with HR28 (as long as you have the WA adapter ring and NOT the std ring. I use step up/down to interchange my WA adapter.

When handheld my WRS on location or trekking (per travel journalism-ish shoot), I use chinese generic equivalent 35mm lens view angle to match my HR lenses for $2/ piece. So far, it works quite well considering there are lots of factors why it is not the best solution in the way the lens moves.

PS: The nice thing with the 100mm WA adapter ring is that the Sinar lens shading clips onto to it perfectly and quite well light-sealed fitting.