Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Practicality of Hand Held Tech Cam Shooting

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Practicality of Hand Held Tech Cam Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Crap even Alpa's are cheaper at around 600.
    Guy

It has always been much more expensive to have a special taste .
    But just to comfort you , you don't need a shooting license for that camera .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guys, I enjoyed reading this thread and found the topic and pictures very inspiring!

I know you guys are long time photogs and users of tech cams, but what about the practicality for someone new, say coming from DLR and wanting to shoot a little bit more that good lighting, say shooting your kids running indoors sometime as well?

What's the worst conditions you could possibly live with shooting handheld and still have a grin at the end of the day?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In general, my family thinks I'm nuts.
    I own a 5d mark ii and a 1 ds mark Iii
    But insist on the mentioned chasing the kids around with either the Cambo rs or ds
    Why? They ask!
    Because it's more fun, I reply.
    Really it makes little difference to me, I enjoy the challenge of capturing images on a full manual camera where " frames per second" shooting is more dependent on my ability to cock the shutter than the available capture rate of the back.
    Ofcourse I have been informed it is a sign of mental instability.
    You can try similar yourself, set your camera on manual, lens to mf, try to capture moving objects, like children, without looking through the view finder and with focus confirm beep off.
    If you can enjoy that, then you are ready to use a tech cam for everything.
    At least in my biased and unbalanced opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, very true, but you know what, my biggest problem is convincing my wife. If I come home with a digital back, she only really expects that I can take pictures of my little boy running around, and if I cannot do that.... then FAIL! Meaning returning the digital back, can you even do that? (Return the digital back that is :P)

Post Thanks / Like

I have shot both the p65 and iq180 handheld, mostly hanging out of a helicopter or airplane window.

I find I get excellent results and do best without a shutter release cable. The throw and pressure required is almost nothing pressing directly on he clopal shutter release.

There is much less problems with ghosting at slower shutter speeds than with the 645 because you don't have that huge mirror slap.

Just make sure you know your focus distances for each lens. For my type of photography, I'm almost always at infinity or at least at the hyperfocal distance on my glass.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JonMo View Post
    In general, my family thinks I'm nuts.
    I own a 5d mark ii and a 1 ds mark Iii
    But insist on the mentioned chasing the kids around with either the Cambo rs or ds
    Why? They ask!
    Because it's more fun, I reply.
    Really it makes little difference to me, I enjoy the challenge of capturing images on a full manual camera where " frames per second" shooting is more dependent on my ability to cock the shutter than the available capture rate of the back.
    Ofcourse I have been informed it is a sign of mental instability.
    You can try similar yourself, set your camera on manual, lens to mf, try to capture moving objects, like children, without looking through the view finder and with focus confirm beep off.
    If you can enjoy that, then you are ready to use a tech cam for everything.
    At least in my biased and unbalanced opinion.
    That almost explains why I enjoy the challenge of shooting with my Alpa. Sometimes the journey is more interesting and enjoyable than the destination! Apologies for the metaphor.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"