Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Okay I'm in the tech cam world.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Okay I'm in the tech cam world.

Hello , just would like to show my solution for the long sync cable problem. I always use zero latency and frequently turn the back on and off, so there is no sensor heating or extensive battery drain. Just works fine for me.

Best regards

Wolfgang

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks after shooting yesterday and I like to shoot fast that I decided hell with the wakeup cable and just do exactly what you mention go short latency and make use of the power off button more often. I carry 5 batteries anyway. I do have a zero latency cable but have to see how long it is. Nice thing is I have both setups so they naturally are backups for each other.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I could easily custom make the PC to mini pin cord as a straight cord feed it through my grip to the connector cable. I can get that done at Paramount cords pretty easily and cheaply. I am going to do that tomorrow. My guess it would cost 15 dollars. If I can get it through the grip that would make my day.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw that is a neat looking viewfinder what is that

Post Thanks / Like

It is the Voigtlaender 15-35 Zoom finder, it can be used for all lenses from 23 to 50 mm (MF).

Best regards
    Wolfgang

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Voightlander variable?

Wolfgang, which cable are you using. It's hard to see.

Post Thanks / Like

One part of the cable is from the Phase wake up combo, the other one is a simple cable from Metz ( Sync to mini pin, order number is 36-50 as far as I remember.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 15-35 viewfinder really needs the extended mount too btw to avoid parallax errors. Wolfgang has the Alpa special mount there on the TC. The VF works extremely well overall, although they lack the smooth precision feel of say the Linhof vari-finders. I used this with my Leicas as an alternative to the Frankenfinder.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    The 15-35 viewfinder really needs the extended mount too btw to avoid parallax errors. Wolfgang has the Alpa special mount there on the TC. The VF works extremely well overall, although they lack the smooth precision feel of say the Linhof vari-finders. I used this with my Leicas as an alternative to the Frankenfinder.
    We should start a thread on view finders for tech cams. I'm using my Frankenfinder for my Alpa wides and prefer it to the Alpa finder, even though the aspect ratio is 2x3.

Post Thanks / Like

Graham,
    I have the Linhof 4x5 finder on my Alpa SWA, the + is, it is 3x4 in format, but I like the Voigtlaender for its size and price.
    Wolfgang

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Back to cords for a second . I just happened to have two of these on hand. I am still getting a custom one made to try and fit through my grip , so I need a straight mini plug.

But you can use one of these as well along with the connector and wrap any extra around something . Its only 7.5 inches anyway but it works and have it on right now. May sell off a couple of these cords. I actually have to many options. LOL

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_Skyport.html

So I set my back to turn off at 5 minutes as well and i can even go a minute if needed. I have a habit anyway of turning off my back when not shooting so it will feel pretty natural. I think a very good goal in shooting is getting everything set so your comfortable and not thinking about silly stuff like this in the field.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    ... I think a very good goal in shooting is getting everything set so your comfortable and not thinking about silly stuff like this in the field.
    Guy, you're right, this may be the most key element. Moving from a field camera, a tech cam seemed pretty easy initially, but that was false security. Once I started focus stacking and stitching and possibly even exposure bracketing, it's easy to rack up 18 captures for a single image. it becomes madder than a basket full of frogs. You really can't afford to have to actually think whilst capturing.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wentbackward View Post
    Guy, you're right, this may be the most key element. Moving from a field camera, a tech cam seemed pretty easy initially, but that was false security. Once I started focus stacking and stitching and possibly even exposure bracketing, it's easy to rack up 18 captures for a single image. it becomes madder than a basket full of frogs. You really can't afford to have to actually think whilst capturing.
    Hee hee, you forgot to add the LCC frames, blank separator frames and the inevitable DOH I forgot to set the exposure back after LCC frames ...
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly one reason I dumped the wake up cable in favor of zero latency. I can shoot much faster for all these things and you also forget to wake it up sometimes. PITA