Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Okay I'm in the tech cam world.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay I'm in the tech cam world.

Well I jumped in the water. A good friend of mine and the forums offered me his Cambo WRS, 35XL and Mamiya Plate to me today that I just could not refuse as much as I was holding off. Right now its a good jump in to actually own one instead of always using a demo and such. I tried all three of the big boys and i like them all very much. Alpa , Arca have some wonderful kits and they truly are a work of art and i hated to not get any one of those. I like the Cambo a lot and it is a good cam and gets me in the door and I can grow the system or work towards a different system. Its the glass I am after folks. Having the 60 mpx sensor now am just feeling like a pig and soaking everything I can get off that back and i feel a little bad here as we have some great reps from Alpa and Arca that work hard on this forum to help people and I certainly do not want to slight them in anyway or the products they represent.

As one of the owners here I am very careful on what I do , say and buy as I hold myself up to a very high standard of being not bias as much as I possible can. All these systems are great and wish i could own them all because they all bring something great to the industry. I felt I need to say something here as one of the owners here Jack and I make gear choices more out of need than anything else and we never want to slight anyone or anyones products. We both know folks look at what we buy and do follow us to some extent on our purchases, lets face it we are instructors and teach photography and we are here daily helping people on their needs, so I think that is pretty normal to see what we are shooting.

I'm in the club. Your all in deep do do now. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Okay I'm in the tech cam world.

Let me guess: your wife figures she might as well give in--what with the New England workshop coming and all those toys on display. With the Cambo WRS in hand, at least it deflects more expensive purchases!

I don't think you're compromising at all----sweet rig. With those new available wood handles (same as WRS1050) *sigh* someday...

Congrats Guy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some things are better left unsaid. Lol

Thanks
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And you really think your wife never reads this forum?

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,
    That's great news! Wish i could be at the NE workshop. It will be boatloads of fun.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats!

I will get one of those Tech one day soon, i played with STC and Horseman SWD of Brain and they are nice tools indeed, but i am not in rush yet, and not rich as you and i am not scared of my wife, as long she get what she wants then i can get what i want
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a great wife for sure and I tease about it a lot. But she was not real happy on the REAL cost of the 160 . Guess I forgot a few numbers. This purchase is right on the tail of that. Just staying out of swinging distance. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Talking Re: Okay I'm in the tech cam world.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I have a great wife for sure and I tease about it a lot. But she was not real happy on the REAL cost of the 160 . Guess I forgot a few numbers. This purchase is right on the tail of that. Just staying out of swinging distance. Lol
    Good LUCKKKKKK!!!
    Tareq

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats Guy! And I am really looking forward to all the 35 vs 40 vs 43 - and 23 vs 28 vs 32 - and 70 vs 72 - and 90 vs 120 vs 150 discussions once you recover from batting practice!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I jumped in the water. A good friend of mine and the forums offered me his Cambo WRS, 35XL and Mamiya Plate to me today that I just could not refuse as much as I was holding off. Right now its a good jump in to actually own one instead of always using a demo and such. I tried all three of the big boys and i like them all very much. Alpa , Arca have some wonderful kits and they truly are a work of art and i hated to not get any one of those. I like the Cambo a lot and it is a good cam and gets me in the door and I can grow the system or work towards a different system. Its the glass I am after folks. Having the 60 mpx sensor now am just feeling like a pig and soaking everything I can get off that back and i feel a little bad here as we have some great reps from Alpa and Arca that work hard on this forum to help people and I certainly do not want to slight them in anyway or the products they represent.

As one of the owners here I am very careful on what I do , say and buy as I hold myself up to a very high standard of being not bias as much as I possible can. All these systems are great and wish i could own them all because they all bring something great to the industry. I felt I need to say something here as one of the owners here Jack and I make gear choices more out of need than anything else and we never want to slight anyone or anyones products. We both know folks look at what we buy and do follow us to some extent on our purchases, lets face it we are instructors and teach photography and we are here daily helping people on their needs, so I think that is pretty normal to see what we are shooting.

Guy has my old Cambo rig once removed. I promise that I left some good images in it before letting it go.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Guy The more thoughtful approach is a positive thing with tech cameras imho.
    Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks folks , I'm actually pretty excited here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post

. . . . . and i am not scared of my wife, as long she get what she wants then i can get what i want
    @ Professional
    Then your gear will cost you the double prize .
    I can see the STC + Lens + IQ180 for you in a very far distance only .

@ Guy
    Congrats to you and welcome to Tech.Cam.User.Club . I wish you lots of stunning images .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

@ Guy

Congratulations and all the best and much fun with that new cam! I am so sure you will enjoy it and make the most out of it.

I am unfortunately on a waiting position with investing more in MFD, especially Tech Cams as I currently have different big investments to take, but I know the time will come back and then I will also join the Tech Cam club

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, it is great that you finally took the tech camera plunge. I have only had my RM3di about a week along with a couple of lenses, and I must say I am thoroughly enjoying a tech camera. I still have my 645DF for now! I will likely bring the RM3di to the New England workshop where I hope to get lots of pointers. Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Absolutely bring your tech cam. Plenty of tech cam shooting and Df shooting plus any camera you folks want to bring or try. We know every system out there. I have been shooting the tech cam for years just never owned one. Feel good about owning one now and have lots of plans for it.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Guy! I've always felt the WRS offers the most bang for the buck! I started out with the 35 then shortly added the 72 and later on a 120. I've been shooting with this setup now for well over 2 1/2 years which in camera years is light 8. The only thing I've changed/upgraded during this time was the P45+ to a P65+.

Welcome to the club!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Don , better keep a eye on your Rosewood handles. I want them . LOL

Seriously I have read many of your posts on the Cambo and used it quite a lot and they get the job done very nicely indeed. I also like the form factor of them a lot.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Don , better keep a eye on your Rosewood handles. I want them . LOL

Seriously I have read many of your posts on the Cambo and used it quite a lot and they get the job done very nicely indeed. I also like the form factor of them a lot.
    You can have my Rosewood handles when you pry them from my cold dead hands!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am waitting for your report on the WRS. I am up in the air go the ALPA STC or the WRS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    @ Professional
    Then your gear will cost you the double prize .
    I can see the STC + Lens + IQ180 for you in a very far distance only .

@ Guy
    Congrats to you and welcome to Tech.Cam.User.Club . I wish you lots of stunning images .
    I will, i will get the Tech cam first and lens, later will see the DB.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great move! You're going to love the 35XL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Woody. Getting antsy waiting for the morning to receive it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,
    Great move. I still remember hanging off horseshoe bend using the cambo with your help
    I'm sure you will get great images especially with the 35xl lens.

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank goodness for another Cambo user, I was starting to think DPI was becoming all "Alpa-Arca" all the time! There is even an "Alpa only" image thread.
    I know you will enjoy the tech cam, even if a single lens costs more than your DF and 80mm lens combined.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL

The package just arrived , time for its grand opening. LOL

And yes we need some balance here. ROTFLMAO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations Guy - I hope you'll be very happy together . . . I'm just off to Greece with my M9 and a few M lenses . . . small but perfectly formed.

not in the do do yet (my, how long have I resisted )

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the WRS since late 2008 which makes it 3 years this October. It's more like triple that in camera years. The way I figure it is if it doesn't work for me get rid of it and try something else. If it doesn't make me money, get rid of it and try something else. In my case the WRS has worked for me and continues to today as well as makes me money. The only thing(s) I had a problem with was getting a too wide a lens that wouldn't allow for shifting and my ill attempt to use a groundglass.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The package just arrived , time for its grand opening. LOL
    OK, we are waiting for some extreme testing - some of your famous "ugly tests". Should be perfect conditions now, noon Arizona sun! Shift that puppy and let's see some corners and color cast. Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JonMo View Post
    Thank goodness for another Cambo user, I was starting to think DPI was becoming all "Alpa-Arca" all the time! .........
    Yes , dead right !
    But then on the other hand , there are not only PHASE ONE and LEAF backs on the market
    Other mothers also have nice daughters . Don't forget .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully not!

As Bryan (siebel) says it so well:

"In the end, it's all about the pictures"

and only this.

So show your best images for inspiration, whatever the brands used are.

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by JonMo View Post
    ... I was starting to think DPI was becoming all "Alpa-Arca" all the time! There is even an "Alpa only" image thread.
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thierry

Although I say "dead right" and you say "hopefully not" , we mean the same
    thing .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well got it all setup and first thing I did was take the lens bars off. Wow that just made it a P&S right there. Its like a TC only slightly bigger and yes i can shoot it handheld. LOL

Okay Phase here is my bitch of the day the wake cable does it have to be as big as a freaking snake. I had to double it up and duct tape it to the inside of my grip. Cannot we not make one smaller too for field tech cam users. This is stupid, sorry. I want one at about six to eight inches long with the wake up button right at the back side of the DIN connector. Has not ANYONE bitched about this.

COME ON MAN!!!!!!

Actually I sent Paramount Cords a e-mail already to see if they can custom make something.

On to something really sweet focus mask is just deadly with a tech cam , guess adjust and your home. i would go out and shoot but its a 114 degrees out there. No way Jose'. I'm crazy but I know my limits, I'll take 20 below anyday over this.

Hopefully I will get a few shots tomorrow. Waiting for a couple parts.

Iphone image sorry. BTW I HATE CABLES and will do anything to get rid of them. New shorter cable release coming but I had to get dirty with duct tape for now until I figure something out a better solution to the snake long wakeup cable. almost 50 grand and I have to use duct tape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What does the Alpa wake up cable look like I have on the left grip a pass through like the right grip for a cable . Love to rig something inside that.

I remember Terrys Alpa TC left grip had a gorgeous wake up setup. I want that

Post Thanks / Like

Here Guy:

ALPA Sync Release

Enjoy your new tool.

Best
    Thierry

What does the Alpa wake up cable look like I have on the left grip a pass through like the right grip for a cable . Love to rig something inside that.

I remember Terrys Alpa TC left grip had a gorgeous wake up setup. I want that
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Thierry.

Looks like I would have to mount that upside down though as my thread is coming from the bottom up

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hate being poor.

Congrats Guy.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh Im poor now trust me.

Just shot my kitchen and love the IQ 160 back . Used live view to focus at 100 percent than took a shot checked focus mask which i had to bump up the number to 55 to match my Phase glass in points being shown ( schnieder lens its awesome). Did rise and fall to the max 15 down 15 up with no issues on the LCD back ( did LCC on all of them for processing) than I did a 25 degree rise and i can see the magenta banding on the top. So that is pretty good . Now have to see how the corrections are with the LCC. Same with Shift either way 15 degrees i see nothing bad. But at 20 degrees i see the magenta cast.

So just from the LCD looks good at 15 degrees either way. i will process and confirm all that with the LCC. But so far I'm thrilled .

Oh and anyone that shoots Cambo take the lens bars off . It is so much nicer to get to the lens when working. Really not sure of there function except to protect lens and hang shades off it. You do need a 10T Torax and it is tight so you need full size screwdriver size to get them off. The holes are outside the opening so no light will come through. To me its like night and day without them.

BTW did this without finder without Leica disto or any other accessory. I said this from day 1 of the IQ announcement and I can tell already the back will get you home. I have to give Phase credit for this but not for there wakeup cable. sorry guys this does not cut it with a long wake up cable. I know they where made for studio view cams but your forgetting the field tech guys and gals.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Guy - first I totally agree with your sentiments regarding the way too long wake up cable. I understand there's a shorter one - only it's a 2-parter and costs dearly. I've taken to wrapping the excess around the foot which seems to work and keep it the hell out of the way. If you find a shorter one piece cord let me know.

Regarding the bull bars. My very first thought way back when was to remove the bars and I think I did for an afternoon before putting them back on. The bars do make it a little more difficult to reach the lens however they offer protection to the glass as well as offering another handhold. I keep my kit in either a pelican case or backpack and constantly use the bull bars to reach in and grab the lens. Just offering a slightly different take on them.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Guy

Just sitting here thinking out loud - I'm off to the North Rim in a day and will be back late next week. Then off to Jackson Hole at the end of September for 2-months. Let me know if you want to get together for a quick down and dirty and I'll share my Schneider 72 and short barrel 120 with you. The 120 will blow you away with the amount of movements.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes let me know when your back in town by than I will be a millionaire selling short wake up cables. Lol

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

cool, man.

i am waiting delivery of a 160 as well, we can be 160/cambo buddies!

except my lenses are t/s

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John,

I don't think Mrs. M appreciates comments like "my lenses are t/s."

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Guy, glad to see you got the RS.

I thought about removing the bars but with the HR glass I am a little antsy about being clumsy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like having the bars.
    Like Don I just might use them to lift the cam occasionally. OK maybe all the time.
    I tried the TS lens and wondered how to pick the damn thing up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I understand the having the bars thoughts for sure. Matter of preference for sure.

John great news. Seriously the 160 on a tech cam is very very nice and a great choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well this is a failed test but going to show it anyway, just because . This is a 3 shot vertical stitch with the 35XL WITHOUT a center filter and I stitched 15 degrees in either direction. Frankly not sure i need the middle frame as there is a lot of overlap. Anyway on both left and right my LCC where made but for some reason C1 was giving me a warning on color casts for these two LCC frames. I think without the center filter could be the cause, not sure or its just buggy C1 in Lion which would not surprise me AT ALL, C1 is buggy right now in Lion no doubt in my mind. So its off but i totally believe with a CF on the lens and correct LCC you can go 15 degrees all around safely. I will retest that when the center filter comes Monday. Little bit of a tough image since daylight is coming in the left and causing a pretty good shadow off the cabinet. I think this was a good exercise though and worth the effort to have this figured out before serious shooting. The one gift here is my 35mm gets really wide with stitching, this is just awesome. Oh and I do have 5 degrees of rise in this as well.
    One other thing I should mention I focused right on the cookbook in live view mode at 100 percent and it is a nice feature to have for alignment and focusing. Now outside it will be harder to work with but inside a real gem of a feature. I am eating a little crow here on my views on live view, its better than I thought it would be and useful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just to add , I am having a hard time with C1 right now with Lion. So hoping Lion 10.7.2 and next update to C1 fix all this. I might even try reloading C1. Getting lots of beach balls

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just for fun wanted to see how much wider the image gets with stitching. This is just a straight 35mm horizontal shot

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm not using a wakeup cable. I use zero latency and keep a couple of batteries in my pocket.

On cables in general I've ordered a custom short sync to mini jack cable from Paramount - I'll post when it shows up.