Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: D4 vs Cube

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: D4 vs Cube

D4s are a myth intended to increase the desirability of the cube since it has a higher center of gravity.
    I really tried to buy one but so far nada.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm weird. I ordered my D4 back in May from Rod and received it in early November - and returned it the next day. I did not like it vs. the cube head I've been using for a couple of years. The D4 seems counter-intluitive somehow. Also it was just about the same weight as my cube head - I was thinking it was going to be lighter. I'm sure the D4 is built well and will be a fine head for others (if they ever actually produce more than a handful for the world market - perhaps a little less vacation time?), but I much prefer the cube for my landscape work...

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim, did you get the geared or manual version of the D4? I was hoping that this would be slightly smaller/lighter for my 3 series tripod vs the Cube but still have the precision for fine composition control.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rhsu View Post
    Arca Swiss D4, aaah... "where for art thou?" 8-(
    Strange. I ordered mine in July from the Arca Swiss shop in Germany and had it shipped within a week. I got the 4Dm, but they had both on stock. So far very happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was the D4 Graham - the geared model. When it was first announced more than a year ago I somehow got it in my head that this was going to be a pound lighter than the cube-style I was using, but it turned out to be within an ounce or two of the same weight. When I looked back at the posted specs it only showed it to be a few ounces lighter so I think I might have been buying into the sales hype about it being so light without ever actually looking at the specs! There did seem to be units available in other countries while nothing was being delivered to the USA - I was told at one point there was a bad part and so Arca delayed delivery - I wonder if units sent to those other countries had the bad part? Like I said in my post, I'm kind of weird, so it may have just been me - after all I'm the one selling my almost brand new IQ280 back for peanuts so it is possible that I may even need to see a doctor, ha, ha!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The D4 and D4m have seen worldwide demand and pre-orders since it was first introduced as a prototype. This demand naturally created a huge backorder list. Tooling has now been set up for larger quantities to come off the line and a few manufacturing issues have now been ironed out. Instead of 2 or 3 being shipped at a time to the USA, we are now receiving larger quantities, so that is an improvement.

As with most European manufacturers, Arca-Swiss will be on holiday until January 6th. Our next batch won't be expected until after they return and the next shipment clears customs. Deliveries should improve by February/March.

Kuau, when you saw us at the PDN Outdoor Photography show in August, please understand that we had just received our first demo D4. I am very sorry If you have been waiting for some time, but there was already an extensive order list ahead of you. I think once you receive your D4 you will feel it has been worth the wait.

I appreciate everyone's patience and many thanks for your continued support of Arca-Swiss products. If you have any questions, as always please get in touch with me at 480-775-2364.
    US Representative, Arca-Swiss International
    R-Line Technical Cameras, Large Format View Cameras, Tripod Heads D4, D4m, P1, P0, Z1, Z2, C1 Cube.
    http://www.rodklukas.com/arca-swiss 480-755-3364
    Instagram @arcaswissusa Facebook @arcaswissusa

Post Thanks / Like

The Cube seems bigger and heavier to me although the difference on paper doesn't look that great. While it doesn't look much smaller physically, the D4 seems to fit nicely into a lens slot in a pack or shoulder bag. I see the D4 being a great all around tripod head, with the Cube still being king for it's ability to handle heavier leveraged weights with excellent stability.

Here are a few Arca-Swiss specs I compared and a quick side by side photo:

Weight / Weight Load
    C1 925 gms (2.04 LB) /150 LB (68kg)
    D4 800 gms (1.76 LB) /80 LB (36.36 kg)
    P0 280 gms (0.62 LB) /40 LB (18.8 kg)

Post Thanks / Like

Just a couple quick notes from a (cough) long-time D4 user:

• I've had mine for around 8 months and I love using it.
    • if there's a defective part in there I certainly can't find it.
    • coming from a cube it might take a bit of getting used to, but coming from a typical 3-way or Manfro gear head (as I did) it makes perfect sense.
    • never having handled the Cube I can't compare precision, but D4 is much better than the Manfro 410 it replaced.
    • it has almost ball-like speed for gross movements.
    • at the time I bought the D4 it was about $600 less than cube.
    • seems to me that as soon as you go past 30° on the cube you instantly lose the vaunted center of gravity advantage. Strangely, I do point my camera at extreme angles from time to time.

I shoot DSLR on Gitzo 2 series for the most part, so I'm not sure I belong in this MFDB heavy-weight forum. I'd say the head is a perfect match for my equipment and makes an extremely capable, compact and portable platform. If, one day, I should come in to vast amounts of money I will happily buy a tech cam, MFDB, and a series 5 topped with cube to support it.

I hope those of you waiting get satisfaction soon. I ordered mine in Oct 2010 and had to wait 5 or 6 months, so I feel your pain.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to buy the Arca D4, but apparently the slow Arca response isn't making that happen anytime soon. Too bad. So yes, it does make me appreciate my Cube that much more, but for a smaller profile option, I'm going back to a simple low profile set-up for my RRS tripod with a RRS PCL-1 on top of a RRS leveling base.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rod,
    Thanks for the update..

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone with a D4m also own a 3-series Gitzo or RRS with a flat plate? I'm curious as to whether the little grey panning knob on the bottom clears the tripod's platform or if it's in the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Aizan

I have a D4M with a 5 series Gitzo. The bottom grey panning lever does go up against the top of the tripod's platform. I've contemplated getting a spacer (only needs 5mm or so), but not yet got around to it. Whilst it isn't currently ideal, I don't think that it's that serious an issue.

I leave the top panning head in line with the planes of movement of the head, unless actually doing a Panoramic stitch.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the D4 on the latest Gitzo 3531 that does NOT have a centre column, and there is no interference between the the tripod base and the the D4.

They are in fact a good match, I also have a larger Arca Monoball on a 5 series Gitzo.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info!

The RRS platform is smaller than the Gitzo, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Having ordered my D4 last August, I finally have it. So far, I'm not in love but I need to use it a little to get used to it. One thing that does have me concerned is the clamp. On my Cube, the RRS L bracket is rock solid but the D4 has a different clamp with two small posts which I assume are for Arca plates. I am having trouble getting the adjustment right. To have the lever click home each time, I can move the bracket in the jaws. If I tighten it so that it can't move then the lever doesn't click home every time. I need to check that I can't undo it as I don't want it all to end up on a beach. Arca include a note about non-Arca clamps and how they aren't responsible for any problems.

The thought of taking this up with Arca fills me with dread. Has anyone else encountered this? Is it easy to swap it for an RRS clamp?

I can't believe that I am writing this after waiting eight months. I must be crazy. I don't expect to have to work out things like this on products at this price.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like

It is easy to swap it out with an RRs clamp - just loosen the screw and put the new clamp on and tighten the screw. I did that as soon as my D4 arrived last fall, only I removed it a few hours later when I realized the D4 was not nearly as good a head for me as the cube was, so I sent it back. But it is easy to replace the clamp...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Tim. I think that's the way to go. I don't think that Arca give a toss about other plates.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the cube lever clamp has a sensitive screw adjustment to get the grip just right...may similar?

i ditched mine and put on a screw-down RRS clamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The clamp is not the same as on my Cube. It all works beautifully on the Cube. They both have the same adjustment system but there is a difference in operation.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just ordered the RRS clamp. I have zero tolerance when it comes to the possibility of dumping my gear on a beach or in snow because of a dud clamp.

Thanks for the replies.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The issue is not with the D4 head.
    Its with the so called ARCA COMPATIBLE plates . Most of them are not compatible at all .
    From my experience , the only ones which fit with no trouble are the ARCA and NOVOFLEX plates .
    I threw the RRS and KIRK plates away , because they do not meet the compatibility at all . Rubbish .
    I have a couple of no name plates from China (called For HASSELBLAD) which can be used as well , after I have done some minor rework with my milling machine .
    All my plates can now be used with my CUBE and D4 in absolutely the same way and are tight at the same lever position .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jurgen. I use an RRS L bracket on my H4D. There isn't a lot of choice. It's funny that it works well on the Cube but not on the D4. Something must be different. Having waited this long just to get the D4, I'm not in much of a mind to persist when I cam just get an RRS clamp and it's solved.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you have the Arca flip lock than pick the same brand plates for each camera and lens plates. This way you can make the correct adjustment in the flip lock and all your plates will be the same . Problems start when mixing brands than in the field forget to make that adjust and watch 50 k hit the deck. I've seen it happen and i came very close to it myself just got lucky and caught it. I decided to throw everything out and go Arca brand only. My tech cam has a slidefix and Nikon has the regular plate . No adjustments needed in the field.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And if I can be so bold is do what I say here. Not what I ever say but trust me this is the only way to deal with multiple cameras and the flip lock which I love using. I have taught way to many workshops and been around 100s of photographers to not say this. Please trust me on this one. You don't want to make adjustments in the field I guarantee you will forget at least once not to do it and it will ruin your day.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

My D4 came with the classic (screw) clamp which I used for about 6 months. I was pretty happy with that but I began to miss my RRS lever so switched it out. Here's a snapshot with the B2-40 on the D4 on Gitzo 2.

What I like about the RRS: slightly lower, beefier jaws and softer edges. And of course the sweet fit with their L plates.
    Charles Croft

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a different problem. My one RRS L plate fits differently on two Arca clamps. The Cube clamp is fine while the D4 one is not, hence the swap-out for an RRS clamp.

I only use my H gear on a tripod currently but, if I ever buy another system, it's an excellent point to remember.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jeff,

Sorry you are having difficulties. It sounds as if you have not adjusted the tension correctly in the D4 clamp or the clamp has a problem. I can Skype with you and provide some technical assistance if you are willing. Please email me, [email protected] to set up a time for the Skype call.

Also, I'm posting a step by step set of photos with instructions for adjusting tension on the Flip-Lock clamps, for the benefit of others who may need some help with the process.

Step 1) Open the Quick Release clamp by pulling the small silver safety button toward the tip of the lever and swing the lever out.

Step 2) Using your finger nail, catch and move the exposed silver ‘worm gear’ on the inside of the lever, toward the end of the lever.

Step 3) Swing lever to the fully open position.

Step 4) With one hand, grip the quick release jaws and pinch the quick release clamp "jaws" closed.

Step 5) With the other hand, while keeping the jaws closed, move the tension adjustment wheel in small increments. Moving the wheel toward the right, (or up as shown) loosens the clamp tension. Moving down or to the left tightens the tension. Make small changes and keep testing until the clamp holds your equipment tightly.
    *RRS components are 2mm wider. Other brands may vary as well.

Last edited by RodK; 6th May 2012 at 15:06. Reason: Added photo captions.
    R-Line Technical Cameras, Large Format View Cameras, Tripod Heads D4, D4m, P1, P0, Z1, Z2, C1 Cube.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Rod, email sent.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rod,

Btw, why can't Arca engrave an arrow on the clamp to show tighten/loosen? Having seen more than a few people suffer the nut/washer explosion in the field it seems such a simple thing to add. Whilst I know which way is which (through said experience myself too), it's easy to forget when several months later you need to adjust the clamp for any reason.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1. It happened to me in a moss field in Iceland. I was incredibly lucky that I managed to stop the pieces going everywhere. I would never have found then in a foot of moss. I have difficulty reconciling the superb engineering of Arca with such an obvious weakness, which must be easy to fix.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like

Rod

Thank you for posting this step by step guide. In reading this post, I am quite surprised that there could be a nut/washer explosion in the field. Can you please describe what happens if you loose some of these parts.....would you still be able to secure the camera and get the shot?
    A more general question........what are the advantages of having this clamp (Cube) vs screw knob (D4)? I mean is this an over engineered solution where the downside could be this nut/washer explosion?
    thanks

prakash

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Prakash,

I'm not Rod but what I can tell you is that you do NOT want to lose the nut or washers in the field. If you do then you'll basically lose the ability to hold the camera plate in the jaws of the quick release.

The couple of times that it has happened to me have been in pretty controlled situations and in each case I've either caught it before it springs apart or the nut & washers dropped in to my hand.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jeff
    You might also have a look to this thread

Http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/medium...ing-plate.html

There are too many different "arca compatible" plates on the market .
    I think , after all , it is not so important , which brand you choose , but you should use the same brand on all your gear , adjust the cube and D4 so that your plates fit properly and you will be happy .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff/Graham, without sounding too much the Arca fanboy (which I am) do you think there could be a lesson learnt here about adjusting heads in the field rather than before the shoot?

I'm trying to decide on a D4/Cube at the moment so probably not the most authoritative person on the subject but the fact that Arca have designed their quick release systems to allow adjustment for use with third party plates is a bold and very forward thinking/open step to take IMO. Considering the position Arca hold in the tripod head world, they could have the stance that if third party plate don't EXACTLY match OEM plates then tough!

Again, I don't own an Arca head yet but it is my understanding small adjustments are needed to the chuck wheel so why the need to turn it so much that it explodes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Jeff
    There are too many different "arca compatible" plates on the market .
    I think , after all , it is not so important , which brand you choose , but you should use the same brand on all your gear , adjust the cube and D4 so that your plates fit properly and you will be happy .
    Jurgen, my problem is that the clamp on the D4 and Cube behave differently. It's the same L bracket.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Jeff/Graham, without sounding too much the Arca fanboy (which I am) do you think there could be a lesson learnt here about adjusting heads in the field rather than before the shoot?

Again, I don't own an Arca head yet but it is my understanding small adjustments are needed to the chuck wheel so why the need to turn it so much that it explodes?
    Gareth,

Adjusting in the field was not my choice. The roads in Iceland are a tad bumpy. My Cube bounced loose. I had no choice but to adjust it. As for the small adjustments, I agree, but I didn't expect that it would just fall apart in my hand. I blame sleep deprivation and jet lag. It's a long way from Australia to Iceland.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the "explosions" are not from adjusting but from not closing the release clamp when traveling.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post

I'm trying to decide on a D4/Cube at the moment so probably not the most authoritative person on the subject but the fact that Arca have designed their quick release systems to allow adjustment for use with third party plates is a bold and very forward thinking/open step to take IMO. Considering the position Arca hold in the tripod head world, they could have the stance that if third party plate don't EXACTLY match OEM plates then tough!

I agree in theory - as mentioned by others though there are just simply some situations where you need to give the clamp a tweak for various reasons. I absolutely agree that the first time you make a big adjustment for your plates to the head shouldn't be in the middle of the forest/beach/windy cliff/bog/glacier/etc. **** just happens.

Once it's set, and all of your plates are exactly the same size/make, you really very rarely have to touch it. I much prefer having this capability vs that of the fixed RRS clamp where there is no possible adjustment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Closing the jaws of the fliplock when putting away will alleviate the problem of it unscrewing and exploding. Also picking a single manufactures plates will make a difference as well. Less adjustment required. The classic knob quick set device, benefits from being snugged down in the same manner. Few if any problems if done conscientiously.
    A good suggestion on the adjustment direction marker, Graham. Thanks.
    Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea that would be helpful. Nice idea

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffg53 View Post
    . . . . . If I tighten it so that it can't move then the lever doesn't click home every time. I need to check that I can't undo it as I don't want it all to end up on a beach. Arca include a note about non-Arca clamps and how they aren't responsible for any problems.
    Jeff

I am sorry , that I did not read your posts carefully enough .
    So I reread your post and found the keyword to be :
    "The lever doesn't click home every time"

I got my D4 in front of me and I checked your decription .

aaa) if I have no plate inserted , I can hear the "home click" everytime , and the lever is safely closed . Fine .

bbb) When I insert one of my plates , and close the lever slowly , the "home click" is only there for about 50% of the lever operations .
    If I close the lever fast , in about 90% of the operations , the "home click" is there .
    If this is what you experience , then I have the same issue than you have .
    I am glad , that I came across this by your description , as I was not aware of that potential safety issue .

Now , I have a little circumvention , knowing that it is not really a solution .

When the lever is closed and you did not have the "home click" , press the little safety pin from the bottom , and you will hear the click .
    The issue does not turn up with my CUBE fliplock . The same as you experience .

Conclusion : We surely do not get a solution from ARCA , but to be on the safe side , always check , that you can not open the lever . That you had a "home click" .

The safety pin , the one with the notches does not always return into its home position when the lever is closed . This might not happen with all D4's but at least with yours and mine . It can be a matter of just tolerances .
    Hope this helps everybody to check his D4 fliplock .

If my description is not clear enough , just you all come back and I will give you a more confusing one .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know , its not the fliplock from the D4 , but for demonstration , its ok.
    Press the litte pin from the bottom side . A slight tough might be sufficient .

Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jurgen,

Many thanks, we are both on the same page now. I'm glad, in a way, that we are probably looking at a fault rather than only mine being wrong. I know myself well enough to know that I need something that is closed when I think that it is. The thought of seeing my gear in the sand drives expenditure like few other things.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like

Is someone using the D4 with a bit heavier camera? I want to use it with my 4 kg / 9 lb Linhof Techno system. I'm used to manfrotto geared heads so I like the user interface of the D4 more, but if it will be tough to turn the knobs due to center of gravity issues or similar I guess I have to go for the Cube.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMB View Post
    I went for the D4m (i.e., the one without the gear movements), as figured I did not need the extra precision. So far I am very happy, except that seeing the leves with the camera mounted is not allways easy.
    I was wondering when someone was going to mention that about those seemingly tiny and tucked away level vials. Anyway, I take delivery of the C1 today and frankly, its a crapshoot. I only learned of the D4 just days after I finally decided to part with my money for the Cube. I've been told the C1 is over-kill for a DSLR while others' have said it's the ultimate for any size cam/lens combo. It will gladly replace my floppy ballhead, though at the expense of 'expensive'.

For my DSLR with fast glass I imagine the d4 would be just about perfect. The Arca-Swiss product line goes up in price on 1 January 2013 and I was able to have the Cube shipped at no charge so I'll likely just keep it.
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 24th December 2012 at 06:03.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Dan - simple response is you won't regret getting the Cube.

I've got both the D4 and the Cube having bought the Cube several years ago. My main head is and always will be the Cube. Yes it's slightly larger and weighs slightly more; however hands down it's the best photographic head I've ever owned. I routinely use it with my WRS, DF and video cams.

The sole reason for me getting the D4 was for a lighter weight slightly smaller head/tripod combo for when I need to walk/hike out away from the truck. I used this combo recently as I was perched on a cliff overlooking a river in WY and wanted to shoot long exposures. The Cube would have been a tad to heavy to carry and the tripod it lives on too much for the area I was in so I elected to go with the D4.

While I've had the Cube for years I've only had the D4 for less than 6-months and can see where it'll make my life a little easier.

In any case I'm very glad that I have my Cube and I think you will too.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Don,
    I needed to be somewhat vindicated with my choice as I get soOoo tired of returning things' back to the supplier. I think it comes with the hobby.

My hiking days are over after decades in military service and I’m physically limited these days’ so I don't have to worry about the weight so much. However, size is a different story although it doesn't appear to be much bigger than my BH55. I know the C1 is a few ounces heavier, although I'll likely swap-out the clamp with a RRS flip-lock and cancel out some of the weight difference.

I feel somewhat kid like' waiting for the UPS guy here on Christmas Eve ~
    Last edited by Dan Ortego; 24th December 2012 at 09:38.

Post Thanks / Like

Linhof Micro 3D worth a look. Won't do major tilts but built like a rank and very precise.

Not sure if its 2 lbs wants to go hiking but it is a fine piece of kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know Which of the two RRS clamps fits the cube ?
    the B2-40LR 1/4"-20 , or the B2-40LR with the M6 clamp ?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I have D4 & Cube, love them both.
    When I use Max, I'll take Cube with Gitzo Systemtic 3.
    When I use STC, I'll take D4 with Gitzo Series 2
    When I use TC, I'll use a very small tripod.
    Leica | Angenieux | Alpa | Hasselblad | Phase One
    www.raymondchak.com