The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Charlie,

Very nice images! That morning's light was special for some reason ;)

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Jack - yes, the light was great that morning and you nailed it in the image you posted in the MF images thread. I bet the light was even better the morning we left but sleep was needed!

Jamie - it was cold, even colder than it looks, but I've been out in a lot worse!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack - yes, the light was great that morning and you nailed it in the image you posted in the MF images thread. I bet the light was even better the morning we left but sleep was needed!

Jamie - it was cold, even colder than it looks, but I've been out in a lot worse!
If you look closely in the shadows at the mid left hand edge of your first image, you can see our group's shadowy profiles while grabbing our shots that morning :ROTFL:

FWIW, I took a pano just a little later that morning and got a bit more color in the fore-ground and had better color in the right-hand sky. It's processed twice like the other example and needs some more work. My older 8-core computer was stressing processing these stacked panos though LOLOL!:

cs750

Arca RM3di, 23mm Rodenstock, 3s, f/11, ISO 35, IQ180 All movements zeroed; Cropped.
Image made during New England (NH) Workshop. Charles

GrahamWelland

Charles - nice shot and location.

I'm wondering whether you had the end of the path in the center of uncropped shot because it looks like you perhaps had the same pink center flare that Ed Cooley exhibited with his 23mm HR shot?? It's hard to tell obviously with small web images:

cs750

Jack & Graham, thanks for your comments. Yes, that image was made in the "moss forest area". This was among the first images I made with the 23 mm and the light and reflections seemed very tricky; I did not have a lens hood and don't really know yet how to shade this lens; it is so wide I probably have more risk getting my "shade" into the picture than the risk of flare. Graham, the end of the path was very near the center of the original image and there may be some slight "pink" flare in the original. I am finding both the 40 mm and 23 mm Rodenstock have a tendency to flare there; that flare is very well controlled with the compendium shade, but I was not using a shade when this shot was made. Charles

cs750

This is another image made at the New Hampshire Workshop with the Rodenstock 23mm; it's the full image with no cropping; all positions are zeroed. Charles

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Lovely composition and use of the wide lens Charles! You captured the essence of that pond on that particular afternoon. I want that lens :ROTFL:

cmb_

Nicely done Charles! For the uncropped image with the 23, is the lcc corrected for light falloff at 100% and was there any vignetting added?

cs750

Thanks cmb & Jack. I don't have good notes or memory on the pond image, but there was no was no intentional vignetting. It may be I had about 4mm of rise on this image in an effort to avoid some culverts in the foreground of my picture. I am learning I need to keep much better records. I also have some "technical" issues with my lcc on this image. When I ran the lcc the following message appeared: "severe spots in lens cast calibration may only be partially corrected." I believe I did check the box for 100% light fall off...but I have to admit I need to be more focused on all aspects of my workflow for the 23 mm (and technical camera in general). I will start with an examination and cleaning of my sensor and lcc card. I picked up a small memo booklet for more careful note taking on my upcoming Arizona trip. Charles

cs750

I call this one "New Hampshire Blue". It is probably too blue for most tastes...but I am posting it anyway! RM3di, 23 mm Rodenstock, IQ180. I am not sure about the other settings; they were probably: ISO 35, 3s, f11 with no movements. The sky was cropped slightly to get the horizon off center. Charles

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

I call this one "New Hampshire Blue". It is probably too blue for most tastes...but I am posting it anyway! RM3di, 23 mm Rodenstock, IQ180. I am not sure about the other settings; they were probably: ISO 35, 3s, f11 with no movements. The sky was cropped slightly to get the horizon off center. Charles
Charles,

You are definitely getting the hang of composing with an uber-wide lens, KUDO's! Just so folks are aware, the 23 on FF MF is roughly equivalent to a 15mm rectilinear projection on 35mm DSLR. However, with MF, at least to my eyes, that extreme wide projection is more believable than it is from a DSLR. Anyway, impressive work Charles, especially considering you only had the lens for a day when these were taken!

Jealous (and drooling) in California ( ;) ),

cs750

Jack, thanks for your very kind comments; if I take enough photos there are always a few I can process with pride. I must say I am excited about technical cameras in general and the RM3di in particular. I still have workflow issues (including getting my gear arranged functionally for travel); I am not convinced that I have each of my lenses calibrated in with the best off sets, but I do like the slower approach to photography. The instruction you and Rod have given during the New England Workshop has really been helpful. Also, the input of Guy and Rob has caused me to "see" more carefully before clicking the shutter. I leave Saturday morning for Arizona for 19 days and my goal is to get my workflow and gear down, fine tune my lens calibrations (off sets), experiment with each lens, and enjoy a nice slow pace. If I can bring back a few good images that will be icing on the cake. I am very high on the 23 mm Rodenstock (haven't shot the 150 mm yet!); I think the 23 will teach me a lot about where I want to go with my other lenses. Charles

etrump

Charles - nice shot and location.

I'm wondering whether you had the end of the path in the center of uncropped shot because it looks like you perhaps had the same pink center flare that Ed Cooley exhibited with his 23mm HR shot?? It's hard to tell obviously with small web images:
I'm finding many of my HR23 images have some color cast in the very center. I am convinced it is light bouncing off the sensor and getting reflected in the darkest part of the center filter. Images with the light source predominately from behind me or flatter light don't have near the problem.

I ordered a hot shoe shade clamp and will try that but even if there is bright clouds in the scene I am getting the magenta cast. The only way I am getting rid of the cast entirely is to take a blending exposure with my hand cupped around the lens. Otherwise, I am finding it difficult to correct the color cast in post without getting negative artifacts.

If anyone has ideas or suggestions on correcting or eliminating the flare, I would appreciate the advice.

cs750

Ed, my experience is limited, but the only times I have gotten the magenta cast has been in a wooded canopy or river bed where light seems to be reflecting from both overhead openings and from multiple water sources. I will post an uncropped image taken with the 23mm & Rodenstock center filter. I had similar issues with the Rodenstock 40mm which seemed to be "cured" with a compendium shade (without a center filter); however, the center filter on the 23mm is too large to work with the compendium shade that I am currently using. Charles