The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

Paul2660

Re: ALPA images

Dan,

Wonderful work, especially the rocks and water and Death Valley shot.

After spending some time with Steve Hendricks last week, I fully appreciate the power the the LCC function in Capture 1. Really an amazing feature and one that I have overlooked way too long.

What is more amazing is what it will do for 35mm shots, shifted or not shifted, not to mention Phase 1 shots taken without a tech camera. Never realized just how much falloff you get with the 35mm or 28mm.

Also, if I can ask, I love your presentation of the images with the 8 ply mat look. What action/tool are you using to create that look.

Sincerely
Paul Caldwell
http://wwwphotosofarkansas.com

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Fun with MF images

Rm3Di Sk72 IQ180
Mushrooms before Irene

It has been very moist the last couple of weeks so they are popping up everywhere.
-bob

Last edited:

Thierry

Dave,

That's also a wonderful image. I think we all agree here.

Nobody should be intimidated. Intimidation is not necessary, nor to be scared to post "less" interesting or wonderful images than others. Jump in the cold water, show what your are proud of, even if it is only one image.

It is about "feeling the temperature", what others are doing, to give ideas and inspiration to explore new horizons.

Speaking about inspiration, I would like to invite you to the Alpa gallery, there are some beautiful images there, from some well-known BUT ALSO from some not-known photographers. Some of the images showed here do have their places in this gallery, IMO.

Alpa Gallery

Thierry

Dan,
Nobody is posting because your images are too intimidating.
Dave

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

I think it may be nicer if we could combine all tech camera image threads into one.
Would that be agreeable to folks?
thanks
-bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

You need either a wakeup release or battery burning zero latency mode on a Phase One back for example.
Actually Graham, you do NOT need a wake-up cable on the later Phase backs -- that is what the "zero latency" setting is for -- just in case you weren't aware of that ;)
Err, Jack that's what I actually said! :poke:

I think it may be nicer if we could combine all tech camera image threads into one.
thanks
-bob
:thumbs: I agree.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Fun with MF images

Bob,

I love the fact that you got a model to pose in your tech cam shot! :)
That ant was tough to pose.
Irene ought to be stopping by tomorrow.
And what the hell is the story about this schooner measure?
It may be the end of civilization as we know it.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Err, Jack that's what I actually said! :poke:
Of course you did. I am an idiot :eek:

Admin Note: I think we should change the title on this thread to be Tech cam images generic, so we don't end up with a handful of separate image threads based on tech cam brand -- I think it would be nice to have them all under one roof. In reality, I feel we really don't even need to separate tech from regular MF, but I'm willing to do it if that's what members want.

danlindberg

@ Paul, the mat presentation is done in photoshop. No specific tool, I made it myself with a couple of layers. I have made templates for landscape, portrait and square images. I have them in a nice small manageble size of 10x15cm @ 300 dpi and then convert them into 900px size webimages.
If you want the templates I can email them to you?

cs750

Dan, I agree with Ben's comment about the elegant simplicity of these images; to me such simplicity must by necessity come from "seeing" that simplicity long before pushing the shutter release. As much as I like each of them, I find the hay bales image the best. I know "hay bale" images are quite common, but this one spoke to me. On the other hand your first image seems to have drawn highest notice and for me I would have rated it the least of the four. I wonder what others are seeing in that image that I have missed or why the haybale image has spoken to me more strongly? I also wonder whether we photographers would see these images much differently than a group of non-photographers. There is a peacefullness in your images that comes through to the viewer. Incidently, I too like your framing and would like to get in on those templates if you do send them. Charles

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member

thanks
-bob
Yes Bob

I think as well that this would be the best .
I am not so much interested , what camera was used , but what lens , which back , LCC , distance setting etc.

danlindberg

Thank you cs750 :) I did jump a little when I read Ben's "elegant simplicity" because that is the exact wording I often use in my workshops. I try to leave out tech talk and concentrate on teaching "seeing" images and finetuning compositions. And I am pro minimalistic scenes that still comunicate depth and feel. However, that also depends on the day, sometimes images with a myriad of details can be captivating.

I am also very interested in the psychology of what makes people "like" certain images over others, or how fascinating it is to be in the same spot with 2-3 photographers and all approach it differently. I am the kind of person who do not mind at all to see cliché images, to me the important thing is that you can tell that any particular image is well thought out, finetuned and executed exactly as the photographer intended. That it wasn't a lucky shot, it was produced through experience and skill.

The mat template I have done in PS with a couple of layers myself. It is in 10x15cm @300dpi and then I simply make it 900px and save for web. If anyone wants to use it, then I share it, no probs. Just PM your email and I send you the template in .psd.

... However, that also depends on the day, sometimes images with a myriad of details can be captivating...
I have to say I find Woody's work magnificent in this respect. My favourites of his are huge scenes, full of details. Living in a VERY crowded city I have to confess I hope I can learn to see compositions in all the clutter in our world.

Professional

I forgot that reading about Tech camera making me to want one, but then i forgot to ask, which tech camera to go with? There are many, each has pros and cons maybe, not sure which one will be better for landscapes and architecture photography, the lenses i will decide later, and DB also later.

cs750

Perhaps we should call Tech cameras "slow down, think, feel, and see" cameras; I am enjoying my brief experience with mine. Charles

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Love actually owning one now. I shot yesterday but was limited do to time and weather but I got a couple off. I'll talk about it in another thread.

Don Libby

Using a technical camera definitely makes you slow down; the capture process is much more deliberate. There's times when standing on a cliff face with mine where I feel I'm channeling the greats from the past. My pulse rises then settles into a nice rhythm as I set up and begin the process.

I've been thinking of writing a blog post "Zen and the art of a technical camera". Who knows many one day I will.

Heading out the door for a week and not certain of future internet access.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I forgot that reading about Tech camera making me to want one, but then i forgot to ask, which tech camera to go with? There are many, each has pros and cons maybe, not sure which one will be better for landscapes and architecture photography, the lenses i will decide later, and DB also later.
I think this warrants a separate thread, as there are several aspects when one starts looking into tech. There is no single camera "that does it all perfectly" and so each person is going to have a set of priorities, and their priority list will drive their final decision. So I would advise you to start a new thread and ask the questions -- actually, scratch that, I will start it for you and demand in advance that folks play nice and that we don't want any brand-wars, just individual *opinions* on why folks choose what they did :)