The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

My Nephew:

Alpa 12TC, Leica D5, Rodenstock 40HR,Gitzo Tripod, Mamiya DM33 Back, Mamiya 7II 43mm viewfinder with custom grids

Last edited:

kuau

Workshop Member
Being new to using a tech camera, I find this thread useful, especially with more detail on how each image was captured, what movements were used if any, tilt, shift, special technique, etc.
Without this extra info, I agree this thread is really pointless

on another note, I mentioned this before, Guy and Jack you should put together a tech camera workshop. :)

Steven

cunim

I enjoy making tech and view cameras work for a living. This was actually done with an Arca Monolith, but same movements available on the Alpa Max I usually use.

Rodenstock 135mm ApoSironar S, f11, 2 degress forward tilt, 3mm back rise.

IQ180 with default sharpening (140). Manual blend of four brackets to tame specular highlights. Daylight.

I have about a 4" DOF under these conditions. This image is in good focus across about 3', though it does soften in the deeper areas at the bottom. It would take forever to do this with focus stacking - given the blended brackets.

The high resolution minimizes moire in the fabric and wires. The CCD handles the transition into dark areas well. Sorry, the jpegs don't render it well.

The IQ lets me do these types of images untethered (focus mask), which is nice because I am on a ladder about 8' in the air.

All in all, a good working setup.

Last edited:

cs750

Re: Technical Camera Image

Arca RM3di: Rodenstock 40mm, f8, 1 sec, ISO 200, Tilt 1 degree.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
CS750 -- I really like that shot -- the ladder in the trees makes it!

cs750

Thanks Jack. It is still raining a little here in Georgia with heavy over cast. Actually the "ladder" is an arbor over a concrete bench. The wind was blowing hard resulting in a blurring of some of the ferns and leaves of the trees, but I liked the feel of it. My primary purpose for making images at that time was to test out the live view of the IQ 180 for compositional purposes. I did not need a ND filter at all with the heavy clouds to get my composition. Yesterday, when it was not as cloudy I could compose using live view without a filter as long as I set my lens on f 22. I don't think I will need the ND filter very early and very late in order to successfully use live view. I find using live view to compose much better than without it. Charles

cs750

Re: Millrace In The Rain

Arca RM3di: 40 mm Rodenstock, f11, 1 sec IS0 200, 1/2 degree tilt, focus ring set 3, IQ180. The blurred area in the upper left corner over the stump is water on the lens. Charles

PeterL

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, USVI
Alpa TC, P40+, SK 47XL, f11, 9 sec. exposure, ISO 50
Cropped a bit, and using CS5 context sensitive fill.

Cheers, -Peter

cs750

Ed, the Oak Alley Plantation image is stunning with much eye appeal; it may be one instance where there can be little debate about what composition works best. I lived in New Orleans for three years many decades ago and visited there just before Katrina. If I make it back I would like to get a few shots at Oak Alley Plantation with some colorful leaves. Charles