The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

gazwas

Eastern State Penitentiary
Arca Swiss and H4D50 back with 32mm Rodenstock lens at f11
ISO 200 on all images-various apertures to create HDR's-mostly exposures exceeding 10 seconds
Stanley
Stanley, it would be really interesting to see a worked up none HDR version of these shots. Your blending is very good but the flat lighting nature of HRD has totally killed the chilling mood I'm sure the place had.

Needs more drama, shafts of light, dark moody corners..... IMO of course. ;)

stngoldberg

Hi Gareth,

Thank you for your comments, but this prison was constructed in the late 1800's and is mostly lit with skylights. As a result, there is a 6 stop difference between the shafts of light and the darkest shadows. I have spent several hours trying to achieve a more dramatic effect without HDR or Fusion, but at this point I haven't been able to come up with much that I like.
However, based on your opinion, I will try again. If I come up with anything reasonable, I will repost
Thank you again for your comments,
Stanley

Don Libby

Emerald Pool, Black Sand Basin, Yellowstone National Park.

A work in progress- 3-shot pano using Cambo WRS/IQ160 and a SK35mm.

Don

danlindberg

It is 1998 in July, late afternoon. I'm driving a Land Rover Defender outside of Córdoba, Spain. No A/C in the 4x4 and it is terribly hot. The sun is punishing everything and everybody down below. My watersupply is about to end and I am dizzy. Thinking that, this is it, I'll call it a day and look for an airconditioned hotel and put myself in the bar with a cold beer after a long cold shower.

Blinded by this thought I am concentrated on the countryroad leading back to Córdoba Town. Almost there, a bus has turned over and blocking the road. Sitting in a 4x4 Defender I was tempted to simply go around the whole accident (which I easily could have) but there were quite a lot of people already and I felt that a manouver like that could be offensive. As far I could tell the bus was empty except for the driver and he seemed ok, so no concerns on injured people.

Oh well, I'll sit it out. Sweating away with all windows down. Going easy on the little amount of water I still have. After several minutes I turn my head to the right and see farmland in a very typically graphical layout that really always catches my attention. Thinking to myself, 'could be a nice one', but don't have the strength to do something about it.

When half an hour has lapsed and I can see the difficulty the rescueteam has to get the bus out of the way I decide to kill a few minutes with a shot over the field.
I stumble out of the door and unfold my big heavy Gitzo by the side of the road. Take out the mighty Fuji GX 680 III and change lens to the 250mm. Isolating the field completely. Standing on the roadside (slightly above the field) I put on a 5mm fall and add around 2 degrees front tilt. With the camera loaded with Velvia 50 (always) I get a reading of 1/125 & f16 from the Sekonic 508. And bang...there it is. A photograph made almost 15 years ago and it still works.

jlm

Workshop Member
2 shot pano this shrouded building I have shown before in many incarnations
IQ160 SK 120, (not quite calibrated for perfect focus at inf) a bit of shift vertically

Last edited:

stngoldberg

Stanley, it would be really interesting to see a worked up none HDR version of these shots. Your blending is very good but the flat lighting nature of HRD has totally killed the chilling mood I'm sure the place had.

Needs more drama, shafts of light, dark moody corners..... IMO of course. ;)
repost ---no HDR

dchew

repost ---no HDR
Stanley,
Personal preference, but I would like the hdr versions better if it wasn't for the green. I like the colors better in your second post. Was the green cast a product of the hdr process, or did you also tweak colors between these posts?

Very cool stuff regardless.

Dave

stngoldberg

Stanley,
Personal preference, but I would like the hdr versions better if it wasn't for the green. I like the colors better in your second post. Was the green cast a product of the hdr process, or did you also tweak colors between these posts?

Very cool stuff regardless.

Dave
Hi Dave,

The green cast was initiated by the HDR process. Thank you for your comments.
Stanley

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The Bowery at Dusk. I keep telling myself that practice will improve things, but I'm having a very hard time isolating subjects in the city with a wide angle. I'd appreciate it if the rest of you would stop making this look easy. :banghead:
;)
Cambo WRS AE/IQ140/SK 35XL+CF, 2 seconds at f/11

--Matt

dick

The Bowery at Dusk. I keep telling myself that practice will improve things, but I'm having a very hard time isolating subjects in the city with a wide angle. I'd appreciate it if the rest of you would stop making this look easy. :banghead:
;)
Cambo WRS AE/IQ140/SK 35XL+CF, 2 seconds at f/11

--Matt
I would have tried to use rear swing (or camera orientation) to make the white building taller (or even the same in-picture height) as the red one.

or you could have made the near side of the building squarer, so that you do not get the sharp near corner that makes it so obvious that the pic was taken with a very wide angle.

You have to ask yourself if the subject is the building or the street.

MGrayson

Dick,

Good points, and I thank you. Asking these questions before taking the shot - seeing alternatives in a scene - does not yet come naturally. It is easy for the masters to stress "previsualization", but it is another thing in practice.

--Matt

manouch shirzad

Workshop & Subscriber Member
I would have tried to use rear swing (or camera orientation) to make the white building taller (or even the same in-picture height) as the red one.
Dick,
As an architect and architectural photographer for fifty years I can tell you this
is a very nice picture and a very difficult one to shoot from that angle, this a
historic area and it's very difficult even to find a platform to set the camera, and changing
the scale of the building by any mean is the worst thing that you can do.
BTW, swing doesn't do what you have in mind.
________
Manouch

MGrayson

Manouch,

You got me! I was on the second floor terrace, so I did have a better platform, but very limited options for camera placement.

Thank you for your kind words,

Matt

dick

Dick,
As an architect and architectural photographer for fifty years I can tell you this
is a very nice picture and a very difficult one to shoot from that angle, this a
historic area and it's very difficult even to find a platform to set the camera, and changing
the scale of the building by any mean is the worst thing that you can do.
BTW, swing doesn't do what you have in mind.
________
Manouch
It is possible to change perspective with rear swing on "proper" view cameras... and this technique can be used to eliminate large areas of empty sky.

On cameras without rear swing, you can achieve the same result by orienting the camera before you start to set movements and focus ... but it is very convenient, using a good view camera with yaw-free rear swing, to be able to fine-tune the perspective and take different versions of the picture without starting the whole set-up process again.

¿Do you like to wide-angle shots to look hideously distorted so that it is obvious that the shot was taken with a wide-angle lens?

"Historic" may be relative. ¿When did they start building in America?

Shashin

I think Matt's image is fine. It is possible to change perspective with a rear swing. A swing would only distort the image more--while it reduces the perspective on one side of those buildings, it would emphasize it on the other. No movements will hide the fact you are using a wide lens--that is a projection issue that cannot be solved with camera movements.

manouch shirzad

Workshop & Subscriber Member
It is possible to change perspective with a rear swing. A swing would only distort the image more--while it reduces the perspective on one side of those buildings.
That's true if you use a view camera and follow the Sheimflug law, but as far as I know with this Tech camera you can only swing the lens which helps to get better sharpness in some cases.
Best,
_______
Manouch