The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

Here's my feeble attempt. Spent the whole day with my nephew showing him the studio, he had a blast, we went from no idea whatsoever to a finished mounted print. Inspired by Chris Broadbent who apparently spends a lot of his time downstairs.

201302 Tins Of Paint0845bw

Linhof Techno, IQ160, SK120 APO ASPH, One light, 1 gobo, 1 grey card for the reflection in the tin.

- Paul

...Could anyone please tell me the financially most advantageous way of aquiring a tech cam...
Gorgeous shot Max. I think the saying "The poor man pays twice" really counts here, I'd not recommend putting a digital back on your 4x5, I still have a $1000 Toyo Mamiya adapter for 645 backs. Lovely piece of kit, but the 4x5 really doesn't have the tolerances.

I'd recommend finding a good dealer that can explain the pro's and con's of different systems. Obviously people have great success with Alpa and it's a great tool but I struggled with it coming directly from LF. I went for a Linhof Techno and love it to bits. We get on really well.

Paul

MaxKißler

Gorgeous shot Max. I think the saying "The poor man pays twice" really counts here, I'd not recommend putting a digital back on your 4x5, I still have a $1000 Toyo Mamiya adapter for 645 backs. Lovely piece of kit, but the 4x5 really doesn't have the tolerances.

I'd recommend finding a good dealer that can explain the pro's and con's of different systems. Obviously people have great success with Alpa and it's a great tool but I struggled with it coming directly from LF. I went for a Linhof Techno and love it to bits. We get on really well.

Paul
Hi Paul,

thanks for the kind words and your advice. The poor man is in my case a student who needs to shoot 4x5 film so I actually need the Cambo which was a steal anyway. And of course I can still use it for stillife and food.

However focussing (even very short focal lengths) on the tiny ground glass of my sliding back is not an issue at all. The camera has some very smoothly working fine focus adjustment knobs. So the only real problem I've got is that I simply can't mount lenses of very short focal lengths such as a 47mm. I always need to stitch several frames in order to get an equivalent field of view.

If I had the money I'd get the Techno in a heartbeat...

...So the only real problem I've got is that I simply can't mount lenses of very short focal lengths such as a 47mm. ...
Aha, I see the problem now! There are some manufacturers out here that made very deeply recessed Linhof lensboards, 10-19mm were available, I think you can find them on ebay. They're slightly offset so you can get your fingers in to cock the shutter and you need the ones that have the shutter release adapter. (It's quite nice to get a linhof adapter and mount lenses on those boards as almost every camera system makes an adapter, so it's very universal).

The final problem I encountered was the rear of the lens could not overcome the inherent thickness of the adapter as on the Toyo version (which swings open like a door) the sensor/GG were really deep and prevented anything too wide.

Don Libby

Stopped off at Mono Lake this morning heading into Death Valley after spending time with Ken Doo at CI in Carmel. I'm in the process of trying out a new (to me) ground glass and viewfinder for the WRS. The short story is that this turns the WRS into a kick-assed manual tech/view camera. I've been able to totally set up the shot from composition to focus without a hitch. Much better than the old method I used years ago.

WRS/IQ160 HR40 t/s f/11 ISO50 13 seconds.

Off to Death Valley in the morning.

Don

Don Libby

Nice Don. What kind of tripod do you use?
Thank you for asking :chug: Steve. I picked up a new RRS TVC-34L just yesterday. We had to go back and pick it up and Sandy got a MH02-LR Monopod pkg. Yeah we dropped some coin at RRS. Could of sworn I saw you there Monday....

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I was about to add that it must have been a new freshly minted one because I ran across the new owner of Don's old tripod/head outfit along the road at Garrapata Beach!

kdphotography

I'd post the photo of Don groveling, begging, and pleading at the RRS facility for his new RRS TVC-34, but it's not a technical image...

:ROTFL:

Awesome tour of the RRS facilities (unofficial extension of CI in Carmel) btw...

Pemihan

Don, which ground glass and viewfinder would that be?

Peter

Stopped off at Mono Lake this morning heading into Death Valley after spending time with Ken Doo at CI in Carmel. I'm in the process of trying out a new (to me) ground glass and viewfinder for the WRS. The short story is that this turns the WRS into a kick-assed manual tech/view camera. I've been able to totally set up the shot from composition to focus without a hitch. Much better than the old method I used years ago.

Off to Death Valley in the morning.

Don

etrump

Thank you for asking :chug: Steve. I picked up a new RRS TVC-34L just yesterday. We had to go back and pick it up and Sandy got a MH02-LR Monopod pkg. Yeah we dropped some coin at RRS. Could of sworn I saw you there Monday....
Perfect tripod for you Don!

danlindberg

I haven't showed a lot of conceptual photography, but the fact is that I have been doing that for three decades. I will start and post images now and then in this discipline as well!

etrump

I haven't showed a lot of conceptual photography, but the fact is that I have been doing that for three decades. I will start and post images now and then in this discipline as well!

Fantastic, your creativity on this shot made me laugh - awesome!