The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

rga

Tough scene to capture! Looks like a gorgeous venue though.
Do you use a polarizing filter? Might have taken some of the sheen off the yellow leaves.

Don't know if you bracketed at all, but if you did perhaps blending the frames with good shadows and good highlights might tame this image.

Best,
Bob

cs750

Bob, thanks for the excellent suggestions. I did not use a polarizing filter, and only shot a verticle and this one. I was not prepared for this scene, had several people waiting for me to get out of the way... and just did the best I could with what I had on my camera. Maybe I can be better prepared next time! Charles

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Might I suggest you use the Color Editor (Advanced) in C1, click on the very light yellow and then darken it?

It's a fine image as it is but it just might get a bit finer.....just saying'!

Bill

jlm

Workshop Member
I've been working over this file, thought i might present the current version and my process, certainly open to suggestions.

merged from two rotation panos, cambo 43sk, H39, processed in phocus. general exposure was bumped about 1.2 stops, a bit of highlight and shadow recovery
had to fiddle around with color balance and exposure to get the frames close. did this by picking a common area and matching rgb levels with the exposure adjustment, and also for setting wb. didn;t like the magenta cast in the right, so used lenscorrection (scene calibration in Phocus) with a 43mm lens/diffuser shot, previuosly saved. still too magenta, so I used the color picker for a right ceiling area, then de-saturated and hue shifted a bit to the green. finally added a bit of sharpening in PS (amount about 40).

tried photomerging (PS) but auto expanded the RH image vertically (keeping the ceiling pipes straight) requiring too much crop; cylindrical kept the pipe straight. but barrelled out the perimeters, as did auto geometric correction. finally settled with APG.

made a very nice 19 x 30 print, with a bit of noise in the shadows and more halo-ing around the far windows than i would like. had tried various levels of clarity, highlight recovery and un-sharp mask; the halos are in the image due to the backlight and all that blown dust, but not that much

Last edited:

tjv

Jim, to my eyes I prefer your second example. It seems more natural, especially with regard to clarity settings.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
jlm,

The first example shows up with weird halos around the windows. I often have brush boundary artifacts show up on a different system that were invisible when processed. The second is smooth.

Beautiful picture!

Matt

jlm

Workshop Member
thanks for the comments, 2nd is my perference as well. those were shot with the blad, so phocus. capture 1 has the local adjustment tool where i might have treated the rh highlight area with a bit more recovery (as in the first image) compared to the back windows where it would halo

cs750

Bill thanks again. This was a wonderful trip to Arizona. There was a storm in Monument Valley which I understand is rare for October. The storm then followed us to Canyon de Chelly where it snowed and rained. The snow melted quickly, but the next morning it was 22 degrees in the Canyon. Charles