The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

kdphotography

Congratulations on the new camera. What type of movements did you use for this?

Don
Okay, smart-a**---you really did put this up here...:shocked: :p

I was standing in about eight inches of water, teetering on tip-toes because I left my waders in the truck. Lots of water spray from the falls and time for only two exposures because the camera and lens were completely soaked. No empty hand to take notes here on settings. From memory I believe 5mm rear fall, 5mm left shift, and a smidge of tilt. ISO35 f/16 @ 1sec. Cambo, IQ180, Rodenstock 40mm.

Don't ask about this one or others I may post from my Oregon trip. Let's just say, yes, there were movements. :D As much as I like the greenery and moss, I like this one from Upper Proxy Falls in B&W. ISO35, f/something @11 seconds, and some movements. Still trying to figure out how to work the autofocus on the Cambo... :ROTFL:

danlindberg

Back in Sweden after a lot of shooting elegant residences in Spain. The heat was killing, yes I am used to it, but OMG after 10 hours straight in the sun....

I'll show a few of the work from these past couple of weeks. This is a first...

ALPA MAX • SuperDigitar 28 XL • Aptus ii 5

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Yes Dan

It must have been very warm in Spain .
The girl behind the curtain is naked . :ROTFL:

Exact geometry in this image . Great . Love it .:thumbup:

danlindberg

The perfect excuse to get undressed :D

Yes, perfect geometry and I would like to say that nothing, absoutley not a single line or recomposition/cropping has been done in post.

This is what I so much LOVE about the Alpa. The precision! I take my time to set it up, but I am still impressed when I develop the raw file that 9 times out of 10, the framing/composition is perfect and needs no alterations at all.

It is reasuring and relaxing to be able to trust your equipment on assignment :)

torger

The perfect excuse to get undressed :D

Yes, perfect geometry and I would like to say that nothing, absoutley not a single line or recomposition/cropping has been done in post.

This is what I so much LOVE about the Alpa. The precision! I take my time to set it up, but I am still impressed when I develop the raw file that 9 times out of 10, the framing/composition is perfect and needs no alterations at all.

It is reasuring and relaxing to be able to trust your equipment on assignment :)
Out of curiosity, do you use the ground-glass for framing, or do you get the same precision of where the image corners get using a viewfinder? Does it get right at the first try? I was thinking that the viewfinder would have some parallax and/or alignment issues, especially since FOV changes with focus distance, but perhaps all that is compensated for? I haven't tried the ALPA system myself.

I have a Linhof Techno, and currently the wrong markings on my ground glass (I shall get a new one with proper markings eventually :) ), so I estimate where the corners get, slide the back in take a test shot, look at the back's image review and make make some fine-adjustments shift/rise/fall if necessary to get the final framing.

Last edited:

danlindberg

Out of curiosity, do you use the ground-glass for framing, or do you get the same precision of where the image corners get using a viewfinder? Does it get right at the first try?
For landscapes I have been using the viewfinder satisfactory and groundglass for interiors. However, lately I have not been using either! I compose blindly and it is a sort of a sport of doing so.

It has all become, in a sense, mathematical. In a "normal" interior shot I know many factors by heart. Startingpoint to place the lens/sensor at half the height of the room (if normal height), from there I know how much 2-4-8-12mm fall or rise will do. I am more often correct then have to recompose looking at the review.
To stand deadcentre in the room, I either count the tiles or measure the D5 left and right. To check absolute parallellness to the back wall, I go again with the D5 hooked on the left side of the Alpa MAX and then a new reading on the right side until I get an equal reading.

It is surprising how fast you learn the angle of view you get when you know your lens well. Ofcourse, it happens that I miss out, but never a lot. It is definitely not a case of doing 3-4 exposures to get the correct framing. I think, calculate in my head, measure distances and position the camera absolutely level before taking the first shot. So, being slow and picky helps.

It actually helps me staying creative and seeing the composition "live" without any aid from my camera. Strange thinking? Possibly, but I like it and I am not afraid to work that way since I am getting the results I want and need. :)

gazwas

It actually helps me staying creative and seeing the composition "live" without any aid from my camera. Strange thinking? Possibly, but I like it and I am not afraid to work that way since I am getting the results I want and need. :)
I don't think its strange at all Dan and I use my Rm3di and ML2 in very much the same way without GG or viewfinder. Much better to have the vision and spot the shot you want first, then figure out how to capture it secondary.

torger

For landscapes I have been using the viewfinder satisfactory and groundglass for interiors. However, lately I have not been using either! I compose blindly and it is a sort of a sport of doing so.
Thanks! Interesting read. Being an amateur as myself I don't get to shoot often enough to develop that kind of skill, but I have started to use visualization more, simply because ground glass is not great in low light and/or wide angle. Still find image review on the back very useful, I would not be comfortable with shooting completely blind and just check the result back home.

I don't use a light meter either, I simply guess the exposure and do a test shot, so the test shot is already integrated in my workflow. Quite often I get the exposure right first try, but it would require more regular shooting for me to guess right every time.

I do not think that making things more difficult would make me more creative though. If there was a DSLR-like live view I'd use it. I cannot deny though that as an amateur it feels kind of cool being able to handle a camera that most others cannot :)

Last edited:

dick

It has all become, in a sense, mathematical. In a "normal" interior shot I know many factors by heart. Startingpoint to place the lens/sensor at half the height of the room (if normal height), from there I know how much 2-4-8-12mm fall or rise will do. I am more often correct then have to recompose looking at the review.

To stand deadcentre in the room...

It is surprising how fast you learn the angle of view you get when you know your lens well. Ofcourse, it happens that I miss out, but never a lot.

I thought that architecture (internal or external) was designed to be observed from eye level (primarily, initially from the door or entrance) and you would start by levelling the camera at eye level, but consider changing the height, e.g. to better display the carpet|table top|ceiling?

Your approach seems to be technical-perfection-by-numbers rather than creativity?

I initially thought that the picture looked wrong, but that was because the angle of the curtain confused the parallel verticals - I would blame the naked lady!

danlindberg

Still find image review on the back very useful, I would not be comfortable with shooting completely blind and just check the result back home.
So do I. I check after every exposure. Obviously I must recompose sometimes to tweak, but my point is that the more precise you are in preparations, more often than not, composition is spot-on.

I thought that architecture (internal or external) was designed to be observed from eye level (primarily, initially from the door or entrance) and you would start by levelling the camera at eye level, but consider changing the height, e.g. to better display the carpet|table top|ceiling?

Your approach seems to be technical-perfection-by-numbers rather than creativity?

I initially thought that the picture looked wrong, but that was because the angle of the curtain confused the parallel verticals - I would blame the naked lady!
You are completely right that my paid architectural shoots are "mechanical" and less creativity involved. Perfection-by-numbers is what my clients want. They do not want frog perspective or short DOF or extreme wides. They want, above all, images that represent reality in terms of space and feel.

So, I am clearly contradicting myself here, but not entirely. Creativity also in my mind can be refered to be free-spirited and developing a personal workflow that not only works for the client, but also gives you as a photographer satisfaction. My workflow here triggers me to "think" photography and I bring that mindset when I am outdoors on my own personal projects.

Not too sure what the heck I did. This was converted into Jpeg using CS6 as I wanted to test it out (I normally use C1 Pro). I'm away from the studio but will double double check when I return.

Don

At least the B&W turned out simi-okay........

Oh just to add - I was more concerned about the sky than the ground. It was sunrise and the ground and cabin really light up.
Don, it's best to use "Save for web and devices" then choose one of the default settings (I think it's just JPEG). If that's what you're doing then the original file probably does not have a profile at all.

Ztacir

İ like to ask you guys a question :))
İ had to post my pictures only in thumbnails because İ couldn't figure out to post any other way.Can you tell me how İ can attach the pictures free from thumbnails?
Silly of me :)))

darr

İ like to ask you guys a question :))
İ had to post my pictures only in thumbnails because İ couldn't figure out to post any other way.Can you tell me how İ can attach the pictures free from thumbnails?
Silly of me :)))
You need to post the image on another website and post the
link in the thread.