The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Thank you all! This site is an inspiration and a challenge. :thumbs:

For starters, (since photography is hard and computers are easy), pictures look better with frames. I'll eschew 3-d effects for .. probably the next hour or so. Google has a billion suggestions. :loco:

--Matt (who REALLY has to put the damn camera on a tripod and stop using it as a point and shoot with movements) :facesmack:

Last edited:

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Chatfield State Park, Littleton, CO
Cambo WRS AE; Phase One P45+; Rodenstock 40mm HR T/S; Lee GND 0.6

Have a great weekend!
Pramote

Last edited:

manouch shirzad

Workshop & Subscriber Member
Matt, Congrats on the new IQ 140 :thumbup:, I didn't check this thread
for a few days and thought you are on vacation playing with your new EM5!!!
Can't wait to see some pictures.
Best,
_______
Manouch

MGrayson

Hi Manouch,

I *was* on vacation playing with the EM5. :cool: This is the other half of the barbell. Olympus for anything that moves, tech camera for anything that doesn't. The poor Leica is getting squeezed quite hard in the middle.

Alas, buying is the easy part. I really want to get something decent to post soon, but light and scenery have a way of hiding.

Best,

Matt

Shashin

...tech camera for anything that doesn't...
I think you are missing a great opportunity. One of my favorite cameras for street/documentary was a Horseman SW612. All zone focus. I also believe another member (Woody Campbell?) uses his Alpa handheld for street subjects. Dan Linberg also uses his camera handheld. I would at least try using it as a walk around camera one day. Nothing to lose, unless you drop it.

Sell your E-M5 and you would have 10% toward and accessory iPhone holder. ;) (Got to support the habit any way possible.)

MGrayson

No no! The declared strategy to my wife and friends who would otherwise question my sanity is just as I put it, but I have yet to actually use this Cambo on a tripod in anger and have, indeed, been walking around with it. With the 35XL, and outfit braced against my chest (staring down at the bubble levels), I can manage 1/30 second with really minimal blurring at the pixel level. Composition, on the other hand...

Is the iPhone viewfinder (or an optical one, for that matter) helpful? They're certainly the coolest looking photographic accessory ever. I've been using the shoot-and-adjust method.

Best,

Matt

Shashin

I can't speak for an iPhone viewfinder, but the Horseman optical viewfinder on the SW612 was great--curved mask lines and all (I filed out the marks for the 6x9 and 6x7 formats and used it solely for 6x12). Obviously not as accurate as a ground glass, which I also had for the SW612, but very good none the less--the viewfinder allowed the photographer to view the bubble level on the body as well which really helps when you finally got tired of slanting horizons. I would say the vast majority of my framing was what I remembered it to be--when things are moving, you are never sure, but I shoot full-frame and so never crop afterwards.

Personally, I would always have an optical viewfinder for these cameras.

Here is a fast moving event with tight framing and using SW612 camera with 55mm Grandagon without a center filter and fairly wide open--vignetting is a serious problem for these machines. I was panning with the men and the exposure was not ideal, but the front line is sharp and the rest show motion blur (this is a quick scan of a print). But you certainly can uses these 6-shot cameras for lots of things and the viewfinder is really key.

Last edited:

MGrayson

Stanley,

Striking! Really beautiful.

On the solo tree meme, I had to cheat a bit in order to get only one tree, but...

IQ140/SK 35 XL

--Matt

MGrayson

We're in the "New Toy! Shiny!" phase here, so feel free to shake your head and say "Everyone has to go through that stage." Nevertheless, I'm going to post some samples from wandering around the city. Unfortunately, security guards DO recognize it as a camera, and I got shooed out of some interesting places.

All Cambo WRS AE/IQ140/SK35XL. The cyclists are f/16, 1/8 second, the hypodermic needle building is f/11, 1/60. All hand held.

Best,

Matt

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
We're in the "New Toy! Shiny!" phase here, so feel free to shake your head and say "Everyone has to go through that stage." Nevertheless, I'm going to post some samples from wandering around the city. Unfortunately, security guards DO recognize it as a camera, and I got shooed out of some interesting places.

All Cambo WRS AE/IQ140/SK35XL. The cyclists are f/16, 1/8 second, the hypodermic needle building is f/11, 1/60. All hand held.

Best,

Matt
Matt,

Enjoy - keep 'em coming! Just so long as there are no house cats ... :ROTFL: (Well, if you shoot a cat pic to rival Jim Collum's in the D800 pic thread I think that'll be ok - the first sinister looking house cat pic I've seen http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/440226-post508.html)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Best,

Matt
Just the inspiration I need before attempting to use the GX680 for pan shots at the car races :)

S

Shelby Lewis

Nice one... :thumbup:

BTW, you didn't happen to study medicine at Vanderbilt in Nashville, TN (USA), did you? I knew (and sang with in the Vanderbilt Collegium Musicum) a gentleman named "Shreyas" a few years back who also happened to be a doctor.

Cheers!
Shelby

Cambo WRS SK43XL Leaf Aptus II 5 2 image stitch