The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
So does everyone get that "ahh... so THIS is what it's all about" moment when looking at the first photo they've taken with a tech cam?

:D
Gerald,

I still get a chill down my spine when I open up images from my IQ160 (or any back actually)/Alpa with either SK or Rodie's. Literally a 'holy crap' moment when I see the staggering detail that you just don't see even on the IQ's LCD.

Btw, you're a stud in my book mounting a TC on an automated pano mount. Now THAT's panoramic shooting! :thumbs: I assume that you've got no auto linkage in place - just using the mount to position and then you manually fire correct?

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

3 shot stitch from Autopano Giga. Full size is 200MP.

Need to re-look at the blending on this.

Alpa TC, Rodenstock 70 HR, IQ180
Gerald,

Are you shooting an LCC? It looks like light fall off across the individual frames which even autopano can't fix. LCC correction would even that out and improve the blend.

gerald.d

Gerald,

I still get a chill down my spine when I open up images from my IQ160 (or any back actually)/Alpa with either SK or Rodie's. Literally a 'holy crap' moment when I see the staggering detail that you just don't see even on the IQ's LCD.
My only worry is that this is the start of a very slippery, and expensive, slope. I'm already planning my next couple of lens purchases :)

Btw, you're a stud in my book mounting a TC on an automated pano mount. Now THAT's panoramic shooting! :thumbs: I assume that you've got no auto linkage in place - just using the mount to position and then you manually fire correct?
Correct - manually cock the shutter, hit the wake-up button, fire the shutter, move on to the next position. With the 70mm, it will take 92 shots to do a full spherical pano. Depending on the weather, I may try to shoot one tomorrow morning. The new hand-held control for the Rodenstock e-shutter can't come soon enough :)

Gerald,

Are you shooting an LCC? It looks like light fall off across the individual frames which even autopano can't fix. LCC correction would even that out and improve the blend.
No, and you're absolutely correct. I'll shoot an LCC to correct the vignetting tomorrow, and re-stitch.

Here's a crop from a 20-shot pano I took an hour or so before that one:

Virtual Tour generated by Panotour

As the URL suggests, that's a quick rough-stitch. I'll work on fixing the vignetting on that one as well.

gerald.d

92 shots from the TC/70HR/IQ180. 4.2 gigapixels.

Slap bang in the middle of the day, and hazy (although certainly an improvement on last week).

I'll try to drag myself out of bed earlier next week, and do another one of these when the light is better.

No processing on the images - I will play with these and see if I can improve things somewhat (open to suggestions!).

Virtual Tour generated by Panotour

dchew

The way-too-photographed Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach, Oregon.

Alpa STC, 70HR-W, IQ180. No shift but a little cropping...

Dave

dchew

And this one about 15 minutes later. Same info as before. Actually had the Gitzo 3541XLS fully extended for this one. Strained to see the LCD screen and bubble levels on the cube. And I'm 6'5" :LOL:

Dave

rga

Lovely!
Time for an Alpa MAX!!
:)

Bob

And this one about 15 minutes later. Same info as before. Actually had the Gitzo 3541XLS fully extended for this one. Strained to see the LCD screen and bubble levels on the cube. And I'm 6'5" :LOL:

Dave

GrahamWelland

Lovely!
Time for an Alpa MAX!!
:)

Bob
I wouldn't argue about the desire for a MAX but the slightly cheaper option is a plate on the handle side of the STC and use rise/fall :D

Ps. That looks like fine Oregon coast summer weather! :ROTFL:

rga

True, unless you also want shift...
(Hey, I'm trying to get someone to spend more money than me here, Graham!!:D)

I wouldn't argue about the desire for a MAX but the slightly cheaper option is a plate on the handle side of the STC and use rise/fall :D

dchew

Ha! Good point :}
I kept raising the camera to get a steeper angle on the ocean. After I extended the tripod and took a test shot I realized I could have attained more of that perspective by tilting the camera down and shifting up. But by then I was set up and the tide was moving out fast. One of those, "Oh yeah, duh!" moments! :facesmack:

As for the weather, I think it was 90 degrees in Portland that day, and everyone said the warmer it is inland the more the marine layer gets pulled in along the coast. It really was great weather though. We had a little of everything - dense fog, blue skies, and a nice mix. I'll post a few more in the next few days :)

Dave

stngoldberg

Eastern State Penitentiary
Arca Swiss and H4D50 back with 32mm Rodenstock lens at f11
ISO 200 on all images-various apertures to create HDR's-mostly exposures exceeding 10 seconds
Stanley

dick

Eastern State Penitentiary
Arca Swiss and H4D50 back with 32mm Rodenstock lens at f11
ISO 200 on all images-various apertures to create HDR's-mostly exposures exceeding 10 seconds
Stanley
What HDR software did you use?

The third one is nice, as it had more modelling, and is not as flat as is typical with HDR.

M

mjr

Evening all

Here's a couple of recent experiments with B&W and square crops, all taken with STC, P25+ and either 72mm or 47mm.