The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I'm reluctant to post one of my Landscape images here due to the quality of the images from regular contributors but here goes.
About half the time I post in this thread, I hit submit, look back at the thread, :eek:, and then delete my post. The quality is inspiring, but also intimidating.

So a big :thumbup: to you for posting!

--Matt

Shashin

About half the time I post in this thread, I hit submit, look back at the thread, :eek:, and then delete my post.
Don't. I enjoy seeing your work.

In the West, we have this annoying habit of judging from the top, but who can stand next to Van Gogh or Mozart? (And lets face it, criticism is cheap.) The Japanese take a very different attitude. When they go to an exhibition, they think this is what so-and-so can do right now and they appreciate it for what it is.

Show your work. We are all going down the same road.

rga

Tunnel Beach, Kauai, HI
Alpa MAX, Upside down 7deg, 17mm T/S + 17mm Extension tube, 80mm Schneider APO Digitar SB, P65+

Best,
Bob

etrump

Tunnel Beach, Kauai, HI
Alpa MAX, Upside down 7deg, 17mm T/S + 17mm Extension tube, 80mm Schneider APO Digitar SB, P65+

Best,
Bob
I've been to this spot 4 or 5 times and just have not gotten conditions I was hoping for. I guess I'll have to plan another trip or two. ;)

Nice view, and the framing of the scene works nicely. The horizon on the right looks like a blending problem or could it be moisture over the surf?

rga

Thanks Paul! A very nice compliment much appreciated.

Ed, it's probably a bit of both, so I left it there as there was a wind blowing off shore. Though I didn't blend anything (other than CS stitching) the image still has problems there and behind the hills where the sun was hitting from behind. If I were going to print it I would have to rework it quite a bit. The addition of any contrast basically brought on halo's which I tried to (sloppily) get rid of. Even around the leaves...
But the image needed contrast so just had to work with what I had...
Thanks for the input! Let me know when you go back and we'll meet up! ;)
Bob

rga

Bob,
I am a PS neophyte, so I apologize if this link below is obvious and basic, but it helped me in similar situations:

Expanding the dyanamic range of a single raw file

Dave
Dave,
Thanks for the link! As always, there are a thousand ways in CS to get something done.

I just want to be clear this is not an HDR image. And the highlights aren't blown. It is a stitch of three images taken with back shift.

I often find that with a strongly backlit subject, such as this, when even a bit of contrast is added (however you decide to do it) halos will appear at the edges where the dark meets the light. It is a very delicate and time consuming operation to correct this sometimes. As I'm doing pretty minimal processing (maybe and hour or so) to get these images onto the web, I often won't spend that kind of time. If I were to print, I would probably go back and start over as a printed image requires much more work/print/work/print/work/print...

But you do point out how incredibly wonderful this forum is for learning new tricks and treats related to all aspects of workflow. I would welcome more advice on how to avoid or remove these kinds of halo's. I use a darkening layer with the clone stamp to fix, but would love to hear what others do.

Again, thanks Dave.
Best,
Bob

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Very dense fog this morning, at least for New York City. I shot with both the IQ140 and the Olympus OM-D and the mood is much spookier with the Phase. An LCC and a gradient mask in C1v7 evened out the illumination. SK 35XL. The tree on the right is problematic. I tried cropping, but removing it altogether loses too much of the other trees.

The frame should look familiar - thanks again, Dan!

Best,

Matt

Last edited:

rga

This was my final image from our trip to Kauai. Taken with the now discontinued Alpa Schneider 35 XL that has the focus ring problem (goes past infinity). Tested and infinity at the mark is infinity, so I was able to use it:

Apologies if the bench theme is getting a bit much but I can't seem to help myself!
Bob

PS - Question: Seems CS6 stitched the exposures in such a way as to stitch right in the middle of the guy's head, so there was a lot of distortion there. Does anyone know a way to change a small area of the stitch or solve this problem?

malmac

When the stich goes wrong for me in the way you describe I do one of three things.

1. I just use the clone tool to tidy up a small area.

2. I go to the mask layers and reduce one layer mask and extend the other layer mask to move the point of contact.

3. I restich the images using either different settings or I use my Kolor Autopano software that has more manual control than CS but which I find is more work than Cs.

Mal