The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

mbn

Just curious what kind of machine it needs to stitch that humongous amount of 80mp files, and how your workflow looks like? Do you stitch all these files in one single run, or do you split them?

Fascinating!:thumbs:

gerald.d

Just curious what kind of machine it needs to stitch that humongous amount of 80mp files, and how your workflow looks like? Do you stitch all these files in one single run, or do you split them?

Fascinating!:thumbs:
MacBook Pro Retina with 16GB of RAM copes fine with this kind of load. The SSD's in the MacBook make a huge difference because this kind of thing is extremely disk I/O intensive.

Capture One > 16 bit TIFFs > Autopano Giga > Photoshop Large Document > Photoshop for final tidying up.

Regards,

Gerald.

jlm

Workshop Member
been a while, was either the SK 43 or the rodie 70, probably shot at f8; may have been a stitch

Shashin

(If anyone needs a 30 metre tall print, do get in touch :toocool:)
"Need," that was the word I was looking for. I think I would need a building the size of what you shoot to find a space big enough to handle it. Now all you "need" to do is find a printer and a roll paper big enough. I wonder what the glazing in the frame would cost...

rga

An absolutely gorgeous spring day yesterday.

Alpa MAX, IQ160, 50 HR SB34 with full 7deg tilt. Three exposures blended.

Then, on the way down to the Big Sur Coast
Same setup but an 80SK SB34. Stitch of 9 images:

Other images are here if you have a hankering:
A Day To Remember

Bob

6x7

crazy Gerald... can not take my eyes off this picture. the second one has some aesthetic but this first one really has it. strong picture !!! almost looks like it was given to you.. :angel:

paul

jlm

Workshop Member
this just occurred to me regarding setting tilt using your distance and calculation methods with respect to a reflection::
the distance to the steeple for instance is quite different than the distance to the image of the steeple in the reflection, and the disto will show the correct distance to the steeple but will only give the distance to the water surface for the reflection

or did i have too much coffee this morning ;)

Shashin

Optically, the reflection would be about same distance from the observer as the object, or a little further (two sides of a triangle are always longer than one). The reflecting surface will be half that distance. You are not seeing the reflection at the water surface, but beyond it.

gerald.d

Optically, the reflection would be about same distance from the observer as the object, or a little further (two sides of a triangle are always longer than one). The reflecting surface will be half that distance. You are not seeing the reflection at the water surface, but beyond it.
I don't think the reflecting surface would necessarily be at half the distance, would it?

I would have thought that the biggest challenge with tilting when you've got a reflection, is that the reflection would be unlikely to be in the focal plane.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Shashin

I don't think the reflecting surface would necessarily be at half the distance, would it?
No, you are right. That should teach me to think in front of the mirror. :loco:

I would have thought that the biggest challenge with tilting when you've got a reflection, is that the reflection would be unlikely to be in the focal plane.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Yes, the tilt would be a problem, but this image may not use a tilt. At least I cannot see that in the photographer's description.

Jae_Moon

this just occurred to me regarding setting tilt using your distance and calculation methods with respect to a reflection::
the distance to the steeple for instance is quite different than the distance to the image of the steeple in the reflection, and the disto will show the correct distance to the steeple but will only give the distance to the water surface for the reflection

or did i have too much coffee this morning ;)
My plane of focus was about 5 degree tilted from horizon; from the reflection of the tip of tree to the middle of building. 1.5 degree lens tilt with 8.0 aperture.

Jae M

ps

A beautiful baseball day in Camden Yard (Baltimore, for those who are not in the US).

alajuela

One more from New Zealand - getting to the end here :D
Cambo AE IQ 180 Rodi 40mm
Taken in the morning at Te Anau ( South Island between Milford Sound and Queenstown)