The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

danlindberg

Jurgen, I see on both sides on my screen and that's exactly where the problem lies - it depends on the actual screen. This never ending problem of processing the images on your own screen and sending them to the client and he/she will see them completely differently in terms of colours, saturation and exposure.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Jurgen, I see on both sides on my screen and that's exactly where the problem lies - it depends on the actual screen. This never ending problem of processing the images on your own screen and sending them to the client and he/she will see them completely differently in terms of colours, saturation and exposure.

Yes , I agree . True enough . And there is no solution for that issue !

danlindberg

For a 10-day shot such as this one, perhaps one could include in the quotation a calibrated screen for the client to view the images on? ;)
That would be ideal. But not always possible. In this case I have the assignment from a real estate agent that at this moment have seven large residences to be photographed. The residences range from 4.5 to 9.5 million euros each so pretty exclusive stuff. Yet every one of these are secondary homes to wealthy individuals and non of the owners were even in the country when I was there. My contact (the local real estate agent) will ofcourse use the images, but the owners are both paying and will also be using the images in their own country.
So even if this time we are talking about seven large homes - I am sending one set to South Africa, two sets to USA, one to London, one to Germany, one to Sweden and one to Moscow.
I guess you can see the difficulty in this regarding the screen....:eek:

anGy

I like prints for that matter, everything is under control, and production costs are negligible. Sending them to the main parties + instant small jpegs in e-mails to make them wait for the post is a nice solution I think. (of course not doable if too many pictures have to be displayed)

jctodd

Dan,

I wonder what LCC plate you are using. I use the classic double-sided screw-in Leaf diffuser (with a different thread size each time), and I have sometimes wondered if the fact that it is larger than the barrel of the lens is significant. I notice from the shadows in your image that the sun is high and behind you on your left side: I wonder if it is catching on the outside / rear rim of the LCC diffuser and causing the exaggeration in the processing? That is to say, the diffuser is edge-lit by the sun?

John

dchew

This time around though, I have lots of images that are overcompansated for vignetting when applying the LCC shot! [...] Is this if I get sloppy with correct exposure for the LCC shot?
I don't think so Dan. I did a little experiment last year with my 43xl when I first got my center filter. I felt C1 overcompensated so I tried multiple different LCC exposures (yes, I changed shutter speed not aperature). I set the falloff all the way down to 60% to get it close. I am suspicious that there is a lot of desaturation going on in the LCC process as opposed to color correction. In blue skies that desaturation, combined with what I think is falloff overcorrection (when a CF is used), leads to very light edges.

Dave

danlindberg

Dan,

I wonder what LCC plate you are using. I use the classic double-sided screw-in Leaf diffuser (with a different thread size each time), and I have sometimes wondered if the fact that it is larger than the barrel of the lens is significant. I notice from the shadows in your image that the sun is high and behind you on your left side: I wonder if it is catching on the outside / rear rim of the LCC diffuser and causing the exaggeration in the processing? That is to say, the diffuser is edge-lit by the sun?

John
I use the standard Leaf LCC Plate. Actually, it does not cover the CF of the 28XL completely, there is like 1-2mm gap, I did not really think this mattered but could ofcourse make stray light enter....
Is there a LCC plate that only require 1 stop to be opened?

I don't think so Dan. I did a little experiment last year with my 43xl when I first got my center filter. I felt C1 overcompensated so I tried multiple different LCC exposures (yes, I changed shutter speed not aperature). I set the falloff all the way down to 60% to get it close. I am suspicious that there is a lot of desaturation going on in the LCC process as opposed to color correction. In blue skies that desaturation, combined with what I think is falloff overcorrection (when a CF is used), leads to very light edges.

Dave
Interesting thought!

Slurm

Would anyone care to post (or send me) a raw sample or two? I've been bitten by the tech cam bug! I love all these images posted but it's so interesting to see things at full size, and before being processed for web..

Kabraxis

What a wonderful Day! Fast movings clouds, blue sky and no rain ;-)
Taken with a Horseman SW-D II Pro and P45+ attached. A Hasselblad Distagon 50mm Cfi was used for capture the image.

BTW: Thx for the likes under the last pictures
best regards from Switzerland