The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

alajuela

Same place and time as the multiple exposure a couple of posts ago from me! This one was a three image blend and instead of shooting the ground I just turned around 180 degrees and hit the valley with a nice ridge in the distance. The blending of the sky became dreamy and likeable. I cropped it to a 2:1 and the colour is made in post but the rest is, as is...

This is really nice Dan!!!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Nice shot Guy!

Out of interest - is that showing the distortion of the 23 or were you just a little sloppy in levelling the cam?
The cam is level the 23 does distort a little. But more the problem is me fixing the it a little with the key stoning tool and I did not catch it. I'm on a laptop and on a workshop putting in 18 hour days . So yea I'm a little punchy. Here from the airport it looks a little better

danlindberg

Dan

would you be able to explain in a little more detail how you do the double exposures if it is not a trade secret.

Is this something a Credo will do and an IQ won't do?

Mal
Mal,
No trade secret at all, it is a new feature from Alpa. Lots of options and impossible to explain in a few words. But have a look at the brief manual. The Multi exposure part starts at page 15 if I remember correctly. Its the FPS that make it happen and not the back.

http://www.alpa.ch/dms/products/cameras/fps/manual/alpa_fps_brief_instruction_115.pdf

danlindberg

The cam is level the 23 does distort a little. But more the problem is me fixing the it a little with the key stoning tool and I did not catch it. I'm on a laptop and on a workshop putting in 18 hour days . So yea I'm a little punchy. Here from the airport it looks a little better

Get it Guy! I thought it looked too straight to be distortion all of it. And yes, it is deadeasy to miss on a laptop.

(Don't put in too many 18 hour days....not healthy.)

By the way, would you happen to have a simple HR23 image straight out over the sea and focus on infinity? I'd like to compare the amount of distortion to my Distagon 40 IF - in real world images and not charts.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just happen to working on this one. Nothing done to correct distortion or fixing that end of the image. Im still sort of working on it in the creative way. But this looks like what you need to see. Looks pretty clean. This lens is one hot cookie. Love to own one.

danlindberg

Great! Thanks Guy. Exactly what I wanted to see, and it is impressive how little it distorts having in mind type of lens.

alajuela

Sorry to be dense, but how do you do multiple exposures with a single shot MFDB?
Dan

would you be able to explain in a little more detail how you do the double exposures if it is not a trade secret.

Is this something a Credo will do and an IQ won't do?

Mal
Hello Mal and rga

Kapture Group also makes a device about 200 USD, for mulitshot and long exposure. I use it on my AS F/M camera when using old lenses without X sync.

Basically the switch that wakes up the back and keeps it running (recording) is independent from the shutter, - shutter release is just the old fashion cable which only trips the shutter. You just have to re-cock the shutter - fire - while the back is still recording.

I assume the limitations will be the duration the back can continue to run w/o getting hot and giving you too much noise. I believe the Phase backs have the following limit of 2 minutes on the 280 and 180 and 1 minute on the 160 and 140 and 60 minutes on the 260 and P45+

Maybe Dan can comment it the the FPS system can overcome this limitation.

Phil

PS - I have not tried it, although Dan and Shortballer sure did a great jobs - I think Dan's right in that apart from the artistic intent (which they both certainly have), practice is necessary to give your mind the understanding of combining the light. I think its really cool!!!

Last edited:

thrice

Sorry for the boring subject matter, was just a test really.

Think I'll need to do LCC's in future with shooting IR since the colour shift is quite extreme.

Alpa SWA, P45, SK 35XL, Hoya R72.

rga

Hi Dan and Shortballer,
I'm a little confused. I think, from reading about FPS double exposure, you need to take the second image for double exposure in no more than a few minutes. It looks like you both used totally different venues blended together in your images.

How did you set up in a new venue so fast?? Obviously I have something wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

alajuela

Think I'll need to do LCC's in future with shooting IR since the colour shift is quite extreme.

Hi Thrice - did you use rise or fall? How big is the IC on the SK 35XL? Do you remember the F stop you used?

I just got a full spectrum p45+ and went out yesterday to practice - I used the 645 DF so no movements and did not have any color shift. I use two different filters at 620nm and a 850nm cut off

What I did make note of was three things I did not think about before.

1. They tend to overexpose if using AE (which you did not have on the Alpa) by about 3 stops. Manual is the way to go.

2. At infinity you have to stop down to about f 11 - 16 to get anything sharp - I used the Phase 45 and 150 lenses. But on the 150 I did shot something at about 20 feet, wide open and not too bad. 5.6 was nice as the background got really funky.

3. You have to shift the focus to the right - the red infrared dot is only a guide. In other words slightly closer.

Thanks

Phil

thrice

Hi Phil,

I'm using the Schneider 35mm APO-Digitar XL on an Alpa, so the incident angles are extreme leading to the colour shift. I did also use around 10mm of shift. It's a little more moderate straight on.

I didn't use any metering and just shot 2s since I knew that was sunny daylight at f/11 at ISO50 from experience.

Thankfully due to the APO nature of the 35XL I did not have to adjust focus compared to visible.

alajuela

Hi Phil,

I'm using the Schneider 35mm APO-Digitar XL on an Alpa, so the incident angles are extreme leading to the colour shift. I did also use around 10mm of shift. It's a little more moderate straight on.

I didn't use any metering and just shot 2s since I knew that was sunny daylight at f/11 at ISO50 from experience.

Thankfully due to the APO nature of the 35XL I did not have to adjust focus compared to visible.

Hi Thrice

I like the shot, looks sharp at least the jpeg.

This is interesting -- for two reasons, exposure time and focus. I might be wrong but you might need a longer exposure due to having the hot mirror still on the sensor, ( I know my converted 5D shot faster after the conversion) for metering I also just shoot one shot , to test the lighting and then it is fixed in my head (allot of room there - as not much else) and now I am curious how my tech will shoot using the tech lenses which are set up to focus directly to the sensor, and are not compromised with the SLR issue. Maybe we should set up a thread for MF infrared :chug: Might take a long time to fill, as is time consuming :rolleyes:

Let us know how an LCC plays out.

Thanks

Phil

Last edited:

danlindberg

I assume the limitations will be the duration the back can continue to run w/o getting hot and giving you too much noise. I believe the Phase backs have the following limit of 2 minutes on the 280 and 180 and 1 minute on the 160 and 140 and 60 minutes on the 260 and P45+

Maybe Dan can comment it the the FPS system can overcome this limitation.

Phil
Yes, limited by the maximum exposure time of your back!

Hi Dan and Shortballer,
I'm a little confused. I think, from reading about FPS double exposure, you need to take the second image for double exposure in no more than a few minutes. It looks like you both used totally different venues blended together in your images.

Thanks in advance,
Bob
Planning! You must be swift and know what to do beforehand. There's no changing lenses and driving to a new location. Nope, either studio setup or if outdoors you must plan the two, three or the number of shots you intend to shoot. Not easy, but excellent possibility nonetheless :)

I usually have the mindset of the first exposure is the main image and setup is with perfect framing and focus (tripod), the following exposures are for effect and shot handheld and guesstimate focus. For me this is a good starting point.

You just move :) I do a lot of my multi-exposures hand held by feeling. The ones we did for Jovoy were in studio and more thought through. Here is another example of combining a perfume bottle and a rose. As Dan said it is really a great experience experimenting with how light overlays in images. Sometimes you get a really great photo. And sometimes it looks a little less good ;)

Hi Dan and Shortballer,

Thanks in advance,
Bob

gerald.d

The pilot was kind enough to fly at the correct height to align the top of the next tallest building with the horizon. Personally, I think this is the best way to convey the height of the Burj Khalifa...

HR Alpagon 4.0/32mm FPS SB17 at f/5.6
FPS at 1/1000th
IQ180 at ISO100

Kind regards,

Gerald.