The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

etrump

Just came home from a full day of boring 'must-do-things'. Entering my home I see both my kids, my wife and a friend snapping away on the terrace with their 4 compacts.
I realise that this light was going to last for seconds so I rushed into my study and opened my Peli. I knew that the SK120 was mounted on the SWA. But my tripod was in the car….damn….no time. I fire it up, quickly turn aperture to wide open 5.6 and hope it is enough with 1/60. Because 1/60 handheld is definitely needed with the 120. And another….damn….no soft release, but there is no time, you see the shadow on the left. This shadow moved into the picture rapidly. I got this capture and seconds later the whole mountain was in shadow.

I haven't done anything to it, colours are very close to what it was and exposure not lifted at all. Talk about a stressful photo…..not the usual me...

You have this view from your home? Even more stunning than the light which is fantastic!

Pemihan

The beginning of the Grand Canyon, Arizona.
Cambo WRS, Leaf Aptus II 7, SK 120 Aspheric - two shots stitched and slightly cropped.

Nutcracker

Dublin Bay winter sunset at low tide.
Alpa FPS, IQ180, Rodenstock HR32, 1/15, F11, hyperfocal, on C1 cube, on Gitzo 5 series.

Nutcracker

Lot's Wife, navigational beacon in West Cork, south entrance to Baltimore harbour.
The light here can be very strange at times. The whitewashed pillar dating from 1850 or so, is situated on a narrow promontary, and is lit from the sky, and from two bodies of water, only one of which can be seen. The beacon glows in a strange way, naturally in the evening light.
Alpa FPS, IQ180, HR32, 1/3rd second, F8. Windy, 20 knots so some vegetation movement despite sheltered tripod position (cube, Gitzo 5 series). Nevertheless, the foreground detail is good on heather and gorse, and grasses. What a lens.

Nutcracker

Re:Lot's Wife Baltimore Harbour, West Cork

Two more images from the session above, a little later during dusk. An intrepid hiker climbed to the beacon with a small camera despite the hazardous return as darkness fell.
And a view away from the navigational beacon showing the treacherous rocks in the swell.
Alpa FPS IQ180 HR32 FPS, 1/5th second, F11, selftimer 2 seconds,
[/url][/IMG][/IMG]ArcaSwiss Cube on Gitzo 5 series

danlindberg

You have this view from your home? Even more stunning than the light which is fantastic!
Yes….and no….

The mountain top is La Concha and is the signature of Marbella. I did shoot my image from our terrace at the back, but I have carefully composed it so that none of the plentiful blocks of housing is seen. In other words, it is not 'that' spectacular view in real life….:eek:
However, La Concha has incredible character and changes a great deal depending on light - needless to say, I have countless of images in various lights and comps of this beautiful mountain.

danlindberg

We went skiing yesterday and on the way home I just had to stop for this view. Kids (and wife) sleeping in the car….

dchew

Hey Dan! You made me run to the computer to find this image. From the PODAS Death Valley trip. It's similar and fitting since, well, it was shot at DANTE'S Point. :)

Shot with the 100hr, P65+, Alpa STC.

Dave

danlindberg

Dave, almost scary because just after I had started the car again and about 400 metres further down the scenery opened up and I got the multilayers that you have in your image! I really really wanted that one and it looked incredibly much like yours, but it was impossible to stop and cars everywhere. The light was rapidly disappearing as well so I simply wiped it off my mind and continued…..
I like yours better than mine :)

dchew

Thank you Dan! Not better, just subtly different :) The blues are really fun when I get get it to print just right! As Guy and David Duffin can attest, this was a bitterly cold and windy morning, but loads of fun regardless. What I love about this time of morning is how quickly things change, and how a photo seconds away in time can show such different colors! Sure it makes us swear when fumbling with he camera, but I think that is part of the magic. Sunrises like these make me think there is no afterlife, because this place we are all living on is already heaven :)

Dave

Dave, almost scary because just after I had started the car again and about 400 metres further down the scenery opened up and I got the multilayers that you have in your image! I really really wanted that one and it looked incredibly much like yours, but it was impossible to stop and cars everywhere. The light was rapidly disappearing as well so I simply wiped it off my mind and continued…..
I like yours better than mine :)

Last edited:

danlindberg

I still appreciate the incredible iq from a tech setup. Something you never grow tired of…. this prints 100x70cm with amazing detail.

Nutcracker

Old wooden boat abandoned on beach in high Arctic, under abandoned coal mine, early September 2013.
Alpa FPS, IQ180, HR32, 0.5 sec, F5.6, AS Cube on Gitzo 5 series, 2 sec self-timer delay.

Interesting place, the Arctic. Pristine wilderness and deserted human activities side by side. This wooden boat is traditional carvel built, signs of sail mast and mainsail control iron truck astern, but also sheet iron reinforcement on bows and stern, and apparently inboard auxiliary engine at some time.
Intriguing that the area is far north, frozen most of the year, yet the sedimentary rock layers towering above the beach, that contain once viable quantities of coal date from times when the climate was very different, wet and warm. Climate change in the Arctic is clearly not a novel phenomen!

Last edited:

Shashin

A changing climate has never been novel. In fact, the atmosphere we are familiar with is a product of biology. Neither is the idea of plate tectonics novel, which shows the land masses have moved and continue to move. Newfoundland was a tropical island and the northern reaches of what are known in North America as the Appalachian mountain range continue in Europe though scandinavia. What is novel today is the way the climate is changing.

rga

Ebb Flow
Pescadero Beach, California

Alpa MAX, SK 150 SB, IQ160, 7deg Tilt
A fogged in day with sea mist that totally crudded up (technical term) my sensor.

MILESF

Just wash daily with sea water for several centuries.

Porth Nanven, Cornwall, UK, December 2013.

A-S Factum, SK60mm, IQ260.

Last edited: