The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

mmbma

Thank you Dan! Not better, just subtly different :) The blues are really fun when I get get it to print just right! As Guy and David Duffin can attest, this was a bitterly cold and windy morning, but loads of fun regardless. What I love about this time of morning is how quickly things change, and how a photo seconds away in time can show such different colors! Sure it makes us swear when fumbling with he camera, but I think that is part of the magic. Sunrises like these make me think there is no afterlife, because this place we are all living on is already heaven :)

Dave
don't be modest. for that image, yours is better

Dogs857

Eternity

Taken with the Rm3di / IQ180 / 40mm Rodie.

6mm rise, 3mm right shift and 1 degree of tilt.
1min 55 secs at ISO 50 (pushing the friendship a little).

danlindberg

OffTopic but thought I'd share anyway!
I'm definitely not great at postproduction or using PS in depth, so I challenged myself in creating this from a blank workspace….:p

danlindberg

Dan,

Everything you do amazes me. Great job.

Greg
Thank you very much Greg. More appreciated right now then you might think. I've been a little unlucky and lost several potentially excellent assignments last month, so I really needed that moral boost!!
:thumbup:

dchew

Having a sticky wet snowstorm here, so I went out to have some fun, but I struggled with the back after updating the firmware. It now hates to acknowledge there is a sync cord attached. I did manage to get off this two-image stitch. Sk150 shifted 18mm each way, then cropped a bit.

Dave

dchew

Merry Christmas to you all. Have a safe, wonderful holiday.

sk150mm, 18mm rise (back fall really). Shot Sunday, the same day as the image above.

Ciao,
Dave

dchew

Great shot Graham! Love the sand texture. Must have been after a good windstorm to erase all the footprints?

Dave

jlm

Workshop Member
Graham: are you out there again?

do the Golden Canyon walk if you can; starts off the highway west of Zabriskie, circles around in that canyon everyone shoots from Zabriskie point and winds out through the river bed back to the highway a bit below where you started.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Great shot Graham! Love the sand texture. Must have been after a good windstorm to erase all the footprints?

Dave
I wish it were so. I walked about a mile in from the east side of the dunes (mountain side from the big dune) which is an area much less traveled by tourists and so relatively free of footprints, at least human footprints. I did come across lots of tiny tiny footprints though!

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Graham,

That looks just a bit west of where the 2012 Workshop dunes shots were taken. I have the same background, but you look slightly closer to the mountains.

That was my favorite spot... :thumbs:

Best,

Matt

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Matt:

Thinking back to the GetDPI 2012 trip, rather than coming in from the Stovepipe on the Scotty's Castle road that you shot on your second dune trip, I stopped maybe half a mile east of the parking lot on 190 part way to the Devils Cornfield and walked north into the dune field. That would put me west of the smaller dunes that you shot from. If anything the mountain size should appear smaller and there should be a greater quantity of dunes in the foreground.

If however you are thinking of the first trip to the dunes then you actually shot from a lot further west of this location and you would have had the big dunes in the foreground and their associated tourist footprints everywhere. That would also explain the mountain sizes too.

Btw, in case anyone is worried about how much of a pebble the 'old' Rodenstock 90 HR (blue ring) is compared to the new uber expensive 90 HR (yellow/gold ring), here's a small detail from about 150ft in to the scene. The old guy does pretty well I think! :D