The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

dchew

So Gerald,
Would you share some of the capture and processing detail? You obviously have an IR-like result. Did you filter during capture or was this all done in post? I've been wondering about either an achromatic or the Leica Monochrom, but am wondering about post color flexibility with the luminance-only data.

Dave

gerald.d

So Gerald,
Would you share some of the capture and processing detail? You obviously have an IR-like result. Did you filter during capture or was this all done in post? I've been wondering about either an achromatic or the Leica Monochrom, but am wondering about post color flexibility with the luminance-only data.

Dave
Hi Dave -

This was shot with a #87 IR filter. In C1, contrast maxed out at 50, and the levels adjusted (black to 11, white to 221).

Working with IR shots is interesting. I'm usually not a fan of manipulating in post too much, but since the eye can't see IR, I feel I have a lot more freedom to push things around a lot :)

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I normally just post in the other thread, I've always felt unless there was an element of the capture made possible by the technical camera itself, the forum is about the MFDB. I'm far from an expert on technical camera technique so most of the images I shoot with the tech camera really have nothing unique about using one and could have easily been done with my DF. Finally I have one that does have something do with using the arca, I am actually beginning to get the hang of using tilt. I wasn't much of a live view fan when the IQ180 came out, but after adapting a variable neutral density filter that pops onto all my lenses very easily, and using a pair of 3.5 reading glasses, I've found it's quite manageable. every thing sharp in this from close flowers to the tops of the mountains (can't really tell that from this web jpeg), all in 1 shot.

arca swiss rm3di, Rodenstock 40mm, 1/30th at f/13, ISO 35 (with some tilt and shift, don't remember what they were)

Kabraxis

Hartblei HCam mod 1 with behind the lens R720 filter
Canon TS-E 17mm 5mm up shifted
P45+ full spektrum convertet

Not the best day for IR, but i still enjoy the result.
Kind regards
Pascal

alajuela

I normally just post in the other thread, I've always felt unless there was an element of the capture made possible by the technical camera itself, the forum is about the MFDB. I'm far from an expert on technical camera technique so most of the images I shoot with the tech camera really have nothing unique about using one and could have easily been done with my DF. Finally I have one that does have something do with using the arca, I am actually beginning to get the hang of using tilt. I wasn't much of a live view fan when the IQ180 came out, but after adapting a variable neutral density filter that pops onto all my lenses very easily, and using a pair of 3.5 reading glasses, I've found it's quite manageable. every thing sharp in this from close flowers to the tops of the mountains (can't really tell that from this web jpeg), all in 1 shot.

arca swiss rm3di, Rodenstock 40mm, 1/30th at f/13, ISO 35 (with some tilt and shift, don't remember what they were)
Very nice shot!!!

gerald.d

Mamiya 300/2.8 + 2X converter
FPS
IQ250

Damn tough shot with this glass (that's the full frame). Hopefully tomorrow morning I should get decent light on the Burj al Arab and finally nail it :D

torger

I was hiking into an old forest for a couple of days last weekend, testing my new outdoor gear, a new tent, backpack and carrying all my medium format gear and supplies. It became 28 kg / 62 lbs in total, probably possible to shave off a few pounds, but I'm glad I'm still in pretty good shape :D

I was not so fortunate with weather, a lot of rain and some wind too. Good testing conditions though, raising the tent in rain, and getting in and out from it and keeping the gear and me as dry as possible.

Rain is not all bad though, in the damp forest the colors sparkle, especially late in the evening with air light.

The attached image actually has no particular saturation / contrast enhancing post-processing, it's a good representation of the eye's experience at the site. Late in the evening the forest greens really jumped at me, and the wood became darker from being wet, naturally enhancing the contrast.

Technically this was a compromise shot. The branches was spreading too much to be able to capture them all in focus. I tilted for the green floor, aiming a bit high in the far end and increased to f/22 to not get a too strong out of focus effect on the closest branches. I'm quite pleased with this compromise. Being late and shooting f/22 I had to push the Aptus back to its 30 second limit.

Linhof Techno, Leaf Aptus 75, SK Digitar 120mm, tilt, f/22, 30 seconds.

darr

Very striking Darr; would you be willing to describe your post processing for this image?

Tom
Thank you Tom!

The image was shot in the studio under diffused lighting. The size of the plant photographed is approximately 2" deep by 3" wide. It took 37 images at f/11 to get the depth of field I wanted. The images were then processed through Helicon Focus (HF). The HF processed image was brought into Lightroom (LR) where initial exposure and color adjustments were made. Then Topaz Clarity for contrast adjustment and Topaz ReStyle for color modification. Then back into LR for perspective and crop adjustments. Finally off to PS for slight diffusion via Color Efex.

gerald.d

Ramadan Kareem from Dubai :)

Mamiya 300/2.8 at f/4.
1/6 second
ISO 400
ALPA FPS
IQ250

Full frame

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thank you Tom!

The image was shot in the studio under diffused lighting. The size of the plant photographed is approximately 2" deep by 3" wide. It took 37 images at f/11 to get the depth of field I wanted. The images were then processed through Helicon Focus (HF). The HF processed image was brought into Lightroom (LR) where initial exposure and color adjustments were made. Then Topaz Clarity for contrast adjustment and Topaz ReStyle for color modification. Then back into LR for perspective and crop adjustments. Finally off to PS for slight diffusion via Color Efex.

Darr
Quite a job you have done here . :thumbs: Very interesting .
Thanks for sharing .