The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

gerald.d

A crop (50% resolution) from an earlier shot that evening.

What I like about this one is that the Earth shine is just about visible.

Apologies - I got the exposure wrong in that last post, it was 0.7 seconds. This one was at 1/6th, everything else the same.

One slight difference is that this one was focused on the Moon, whereas the other one was focused on the building. Doesn't make a lot of difference at web resolution, but very clear at 100%.

Lightweight Gitzo tripod, Arca-Swiss Cube. Camera and lens both mounted to a rail. There has been some debate about the FPS's ability to do slow shutter speeds without the shutter vibration ruining things - hopefully this shows that it is possible!

Jeffrey

Don, your photo of "setting up like this" reminds me of was it Graham while we were in Carmel who was lying on the ground to achieve the camera angle he desired? I'm headed up to Carmel tomorrow to shoot for the weekend, many of the same locations we previously shot with Ken and your "Pigs in a Blanket" tour.

Two years ago I shot with Jennifer Wu, a Canon Explorer of Light, who constantly reminded me to consider the angles from lying on the ground to standing on a ladder, log, or rock. I'll be doing most of these this weekend. Happy 4th!

torger

This one I shot a couple of days ago in Muddus national park in northern Sweden. As my last posted image it's a standard 1A application for the tech/view camera with tilted focal plane, but well this is the "Technical Camera Images" thread :)

With the semi-closeup perspective and thus very thin depth of field the optimal placement was not along the water surface though, but instead lift it up a bit on the plants. I love having a 20x loupe when doing these type of precision focusing. Using a 180mm lens I could still stand almost upright at the edge of the beach.

The toughest challenge in making this picture was to get a good group of clouds in the water reflection. If you've worked with these type of reflections at close range you know that moving the camera very little will have a large impact on how the reflection move. This is both good and bad. It's good as you can keep the foreground composition fairly static and hunt for your reflection, but it also makes it hard as a tiny movement misaligns your reflection. That combined with moving clouds made this hard, and really put me to the test how fast I can handle the camera. I worked about 30 minutes moving around the camera and shooting a number of frames until I finally felt that I'd nailed a composition that was good. I like the cloud reflection echoing the diagonal. As always when working with clouds you need a bit of luck too.

Linhof Techno, SK 180mm @ f/16 with tilt, Leaf Aptus 75 ISO 50.

gerald.d

Cheers Dan.

I spent the entire night sat up waiting for the storm to hit and then shooting when it did, hoping the action didn't occur when the back was doing its dark shot, but the damn Burj didn't get hit once!

I have a close-up shot of lightning striking it (05.ae), but am still chasing the distant city skyline version. Maybe next winter :)

Kind regards,

Gerald.