The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

A six-shot pano with the Kolari-moded a7, Actus, and the Rodenstock APO-Sironar Digital 90. Shot at f/8 with the camera tilted up and the front standard tilted to compensate for DoF.

Actus_90_Statue5 by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

A single shot with the same combo. This would've been the top left corner of another six-shot pano had the wind cooperated, but it didn't. I'm very impressed with the wide open performance. Eventually, I'm sure I'll come up with something negative to say about the lens, but right now, nothing is coming to mind.

a7_Actus_Rode90_Sunflower by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

cunim

A couple of days ago, I posted an aircraft portrait made with my new A7RII. I was pleased with the photo because it was easy to acquire (handheld), the colors were good, the file responded well in PS, and I had a nice picture within a very short time.

Today, I made a more formal portrait of the same subject. For this, I used the Monolith, the IQ180 and one of my favorite teles, the Schneider 210 T Apo Digitar. I wheeled out the big stand and did some stacking with more extensive post. Took me a couple of hours to make that image. What did I learn from all this? I am not going to discuss which is "better". That is not particularly meaningful. I will deal with the comparative advantages of each format for me.

1. I really enjoy the slow and contemplative process of MF. The equipment encourages me to think of all sorts of issues related to the craft of photography. To some of you craft-consciousness comes naturally with any camera, but I benefit from the discipline that MF demands. Hey, all I need is 16 shot MS and I'll be in techno heaven.
2. No getting around it, I really like 80MP - but that Monolith sure is a PITA to position. Actually, I don't find the DF a whole lot easier given the weight.
3. My chance of actually winding up with a keeper image on any given day is higher with the Sony. Lots of ways to mess up MF. The mirrorless is friendlier because it gives you so many more shots to choose from. The end result will be different but, as the really impressive shots in the Sony pictures thread show, the result can be stunning.
4. What a great time in my photography, having both options available.

Attachments

Pelorus

Great shot cunim...what is the aircraft?

A couple of days ago, I posted an aircraft portrait made with my new A7RII. I was pleased with the photo because it was easy to acquire (handheld), the colors were good, the file responded well in PS, and I had a nice picture within a very short time.

Today, I made a more formal portrait of the same subject. For this, I used the Monolith, the IQ180 and one of my favorite teles, the Schneider 210 T Apo Digitar. I wheeled out the big stand and did some stacking with more extensive post. Took me a couple of hours to make that image. What did I learn from all this? I am not going to discuss which is "better". That is not particularly meaningful. I will deal with the comparative advantages of each format for me.

1. I really enjoy the slow and contemplative process of MF. The equipment encourages me to think of all sorts of issues related to the craft of photography. To some of you craft-consciousness comes naturally with any camera, but I benefit from the discipline that MF demands. Hey, all I need is 16 shot MS and I'll be in techno heaven.
2. No getting around it, I really like 80MP - but that Monolith sure is a PITA to position. Actually, I don't find the DF a whole lot easier given the weight.
3. My chance of actually winding up with a keeper image on any given day is higher with the Sony. Lots of ways to mess up MF. The mirrorless is friendlier because it gives you so many more shots to choose from. The end result will be different but, as the really impressive shots in the Sony pictures thread show, the result can be stunning.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Sometimes the extra is worth it for something special