The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

Pelorus

Clearly there's some interest in the US Presidential election in Melbourne Australia. Spotted on a wall a week or so ago.

All Images-L_000983-2016-07-03 17.25.52.jpg

Alpa 12 STC Apo Helvetar 48 Leaf Aptus-II 7

Jamgolf

What a difference just a week makes...

32HR + CF [back fall]

Same place (although not the exact spot) a few days later
32HR + CF [back fall]

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Hello Graham

Great image :thumbup: Thanks for showing .
This must have been taken , before your STC got stolen , or have you got a new STC ?

danlindberg

Normally I prefer 2:1 panos, but sometimes even wider is better. This was made with two exposures (and cropped 3:1) and flatstitched from 12mm left/right with the Max.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
This is a fantastic photo Graham. I have shared it with some friends and we are all curious how you did the lighting. Could you share some details on that with us?

Gary
Gary,

I'd love to tell you but then I'd have to kill you :ROTFL:

Ok, here goes ...

Basically it it was a 44s exposure and so whilst the shutter was open a broad beam incandescent torch was used from about 6ft to the right to sidelight the rocks. It's important to get away from near the camera to provide that sidelight depth.

I processed the same raw image in C1 Pro using two different white balances. A Blue rendering at 5300K for the sky which rendered a cool washed out rock, and then a warmer 7400K which renders a richer more yellow rock but very magenta sky/foreground. I brought both into PS and then created a luminosity mask to render through the bluer layer as the background / sky and retain most of the warmer rendering on the rocks / horizon glow. No other magic potions ... Well, other than removing the pollution of my red headlight.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

bensonga

Gary,

Ok, here goes ...

Basically it it was a 44s exposure and so whilst the shutter was open a broad beam incandescent torch was used from about 6ft to the right to sidelight the rocks. It's important to get away from near the camera to provide that sidelight depth.

I processed the same raw image in C1 Pro using two different white balances. A Blue rendering at 5300K for the sky which rendered a cool washed out rock, and then a warmer 7400K which renders a richer more yellow rock but very magenta sky/foreground. I brought both into PS and then created a luminosity mask to render through the bluer layer as the background / sky and retain most of the warmer rendering on the rocks / horizon glow. No other magic potions ... Well, other than removing the pollution of my red headlight.
There is indeed a lot of magic in this image Graham and it is really interesting to learn the basics of how you lit and processed it. Creating an image like yours is certainly way beyond my ability to visualize and then actually create it. I'll send an email to my friends with a link to your post.

Thanks!

Gary

ErikKaffehr

Lovely images, I prefer the blue one…

Congratulations!

Erik

Gary,

Ok, here goes ...

bensonga

Gary,
A Blue rendering at 5300K for the sky which rendered a cool washed out rock, and then a warmer 7400K which renders a richer more yellow rock but very magenta sky/foreground. View attachment 119920View attachment 119921
Hi Graham. One of my friends mentioned that the color temps you mentioned above seemed the opposite of what he expected....5300K for a blue, cooler rendering and 7400K for a warmer (yellow) rendering. He thought it would be the opposite. What are we missing?

Gary

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Gary

You're not missing anything. It's just the order of the attachments ... The cooler one is blue, the warmer one is yellow/magenta.

DougDolde

From a couple years ago with Cambo, Schneider 43mm (?), IQ140. Sunrise Merrick Butte in Monument Valley. From hotel balcony.

image.jpg

kimyeesan

Alpa 12STC + Rodenstock HR Digiron-S 23mm f/5.6
PhaseOne IQ3 100mp
Finally went up the 17th Floor of HuaDong Hospital, pity didn't have the courage to climb the ladder up to a even better vantage point.