The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

WildRover

West Glacier, Montana:

Sunset at Bowman Lake. What a crazy road! 90hrsw, 2-image stitch:

Dave
Dave,

Great images of Glacier National Park. Unfortunately I haven't been there in years, but back in 1978, I manned the Numa Ridge Lookout for the summer. In your Bowman Lake image, which is a stunner, Numa Ridge is the sparsely treed "peak" in front of the snow covered Kintla Peak on the left side. Got a ride up initially in a helicopter that landed on a small makeshift pad. Almost a six mile hike back down on my days off. Food and water brought up by wranglers and pack mules - horses every two or three weeks. There was an old crank telephone that was connected by a thick wire cable to the Bowman Ranger Station, Polebridge I think, as well as a couple other locations. We had different rings such as two long, two short. Got a call every morning on the main radio. I needed to watch for smoke and stay up during storms at night and watch for flare-ups. That was a wet summer and no fires occurred although I did have several direct hit lightning strikes on the heavily grounded building. Had a propane refrigerator, stove, heater, and cot. Everything I needed. Bear boards (large nails driven through boards that are suppose to deter bears) went up at night on the stairs to the two story building. Before venturing to the outhouse, I always scoped the area and did inventory of the local bears. There were three spread out in the bowl behind the lookout during the weeks of berry season. This was the summer that led to my life long journey of photography. I had gotten my first 35mm camera and I read voraciously many books on the subject. I have been hooked ever since.

Oh yea. Crashed my Camaro Z-28 and about totaled it on that crazy road. That was in my stupid period and alcohol was involved.

Thanks Dave for the wonderful photos and for spurring my memories of Glacier.

Rick

dchew

Rick,
Thanks for the comments and for sharing your background there; sounds like the experience of a lifetime! I think pepper spray is a step up from the bear boards, at least when the wind is blowing the right way. This year was a good berry season, but last year was bad. Given they are 30% of the bear's diet, they came down to steal apples from peoples yards last year.

I haven't been to Glacier since I was a little kid; for whatever reason I've concentrated on Wyoming vacations. But I came away deciding I want to spend two months there some year. All of September on the East side for the aspens, and all of October on the West for the larch.

The worst part of the road now is just past Polebridge. For those of you who have been to The Racetrack it is kind of like that, but add several thousand potholes; you have to go so slow there is not much chance for the washboards to ever be a problem. Well, unless you are in a Z-28 late at night...

Here's one from a few minutes earlier with some more cloud drama around your peaks.

Ciao,
Dave

Dave,

Great images of Glacier National Park. Unfortunately I haven't been there in years, but back in 1978, I manned the Numa Ridge Lookout for the summer. In your Bowman Lake image, which is a stunner, Numa Ridge is the sparsely treed "peak" in front of the snow covered Kintla Peak on the left side. Got a ride up initially in a helicopter that landed on a small makeshift pad. Almost a six mile hike back down on my days off. Food and water brought up by wranglers and pack mules - horses every two or three weeks. There was an old crank telephone that was connected by a thick wire cable to the Bowman Ranger Station, Polebridge I think, as well as a couple other locations. We had different rings such as two long, two short. Got a call every morning on the main radio. I needed to watch for smoke and stay up during storms at night and watch for flare-ups. That was a wet summer and no fires occurred although I did have several direct hit lightning strikes on the heavily grounded building. Had a propane refrigerator, stove, heater, and cot. Everything I needed. Bear boards (large nails driven through boards that are suppose to deter bears) went up at night on the stairs to the two story building. Before venturing to the outhouse, I always scoped the area and did inventory of the local bears. There were three spread out in the bowl behind the lookout during the weeks of berry season. This was the summer that led to my life long journey of photography. I had gotten my first 35mm camera and I read voraciously many books on the subject. I have been hooked ever since.

Oh yea. Crashed my Camaro Z-28 and about totaled it on that crazy road. That was in my stupid period and alcohol was involved.

Thanks Dave for the wonderful photos and for spurring my memories of Glacier.

Rick

MrSmith

mag cover and exhibition posters for a watch launch. actus/a7rII/120 apo digitar. small amount of stacking in helicon focus.

QP-chopard-cover-final.jpg

mag cover and exhibition posters for a watch launch.
Hi,

You really nailed the lighting on this one. I love how you handled the contrast range, the dark tones of the waist band to the extreme highlights of the gold metal on the watch.

Well done.

Last edited:

MrSmith

it’s all retouching :thumb:
actually it isn’t, it’s just a key piece of lighting equipment that helps control blown highlights on shiny (chrome/gold/stainless) and having an idea of how the shot is going to go together and not thinking ‘i can sort that out in post’.
i do all my own retouching and if you shoot with that in mind the original concept and how you ‘see’ the shot finalised is easily achievable. not a million miles away from how Adams could see the print and negative and know how to achieve it.

that chunk of slate is just 2 bathroom tiles and some comping together :grin:

rayyen

白糸滝
Nikko, Japan

Camera: ALPA 12STC
Back: Phase One IQ260
Lens: Alpagon HR90
F11, 1/2s, iso50
3 stitch in 1

Pemihan

Three from various locations in the Sonoran Desert in southern Arizona, all shot with Cambo WRS, IQ160, 40HR.

WildRover

Rick,
Thanks for the comments and for sharing your background there; sounds like the experience of a lifetime! I think pepper spray is a step up from the bear boards, at least when the wind is blowing the right way. This year was a good berry season, but last year was bad. Given they are 30% of the bear's diet, they came down to steal apples from peoples yards last year.

I haven't been to Glacier since I was a little kid; for whatever reason I've concentrated on Wyoming vacations. But I came away deciding I want to spend two months there some year. All of September on the East side for the aspens, and all of October on the West for the larch.

The worst part of the road now is just past Polebridge. For those of you who have been to The Racetrack it is kind of like that, but add several thousand potholes; you have to go so slow there is not much chance for the washboards to ever be a problem. Well, unless you are in a Z-28 late at night...

Here's one from a few minutes earlier with some more cloud drama around your peaks.

Ciao,
Dave

Dave,

I meant to get back to you sooner but have been distracted as of late. I love this photo. Besides being a great image, it draws me in to my experience and thoughts of my time at the lookout. Not now, but I may inquire at some time about purchasing a print.

I hope your two month Glacier plan comes to fruition. Oh…..the images you will make.

Rick

vjbelle

Another image from St. Magdalena. I was close to not shooting this because it was completely back-lit. I exposed so that highlights weren't blown so the raw file looked pretty bad (very dark). Its amazing what C1 can do with something like this and instills in me to be disciplined and no matter what 'take the shot'. Actus shifted 10mm left and right, 120mm Digitar, Phase 3100. This is the first time that I will have to downsize a file to print to 48 inches!

Victor

Attachments

Last edited:

gerald.d

Perfect!

I'm sure the watch company loves you. Curious to know how long it takes from capturing the watch on set to outputting the image to the client's specs?

thanks for sharing,
Jeffery
Thanks Jeffery for your kind words.

There is no client - I do this purely out of a passion for both watches and photography.

That one was relatively quick, and would need some more cleaning up should I get around to printing it.

From cleaning the watch to final image, I think it was around 15-20 minutes.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

gerald.d

A stunning image .:thumbs: Absolutely .

But , there is a "but" .
Gerald , how do you keep dirt and dust away from the object ? ? ?
Thank you so much for your kind words.

This piece was pretty much fresh out of its seal. Has never been on a wrist. Probably the cleanest watch I've ever shot :)

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Pelorus

Just thinking about the people of Kaikoura who suffered a 7.8 magnitude quake nearly a week ago. They have since suffered hundreds, perhaps thousands of aftershocks and the town is still cut off by road.

I hope the fish plant is still there, and the nearby pub!

Kaikoura-L_000845-2016-05-22 12.34.26.jpg