The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

hcubell

Yesterday's 2"/hr blizzard. 60xl two-image stitch.

I don't know if I'm crazy, but I don't share the concern others have over technical cameras in bad weather. Over in the X1D thread Howard, probably rightfully so, questioned how a technical camera would hold up in Iceland with pouring rain, snow, etc. I spent a week there last Feb with no issues and the weather was anything but sunny. Sure cover the Copal shutter. But except for the DB there's no electronics. I take the same reasonable care I did with my old bombproof Canon 1n. And now with ES I don't even have to fumble around setting the shutter speed.

On second thought, maybe I'm not crazy. Maybe just...
Forest Gump :loco:

Very nice photograph, Dave. Here is a photograph of one of my fellow photographers in the Highlands in Iceland trying to shoot in a driving rainstorm with winds of 30-40 mph. :ROTFL:
You may be right about the lens and body for the tech camera being ok because they are all mechanical. The digital back is another matter. My IQ180 was attached to an H2 body and went wonky on me in Iceland. I assume that the connection between the digital back and the tech camera is not weather resistant, though perhaps you can tape over the connection. My H2 died and I am not sure where the rain water penetrated.

IMG_7851.jpg

Very nice photograph, Dave. Here is a photograph of one of my fellow photographers in the Highlands in Iceland trying to shoot in a driving rainstorm with winds of 30-40 mph. :ROTFL:
You may be right about the lens and body for the tech camera being ok because they are all mechanical. The digital back is another matter. My IQ180 was attached to an H2 body and went wonky on me in Iceland. I assume that the connection between the digital back and the tech camera is not weather resistant, though perhaps you can tape over the connection. My H2 died and I am not sure where the rain water penetrated.
Well, I really look forward to my trip to Iceland later this year now. At least the GFX is weather sealed. :bugeyes:

dchew

Now that looks like an adventure Howard! I'd love to see the shot he got there. The light on those rocks rocks look like they would have made a dramatic image.

Yeah, strategically placed gaffers tape always helps. I have a piece for the swing door on the back. Getting water in the lenses has always been the thing I worry about and protect against. I've probably just been dumb lucky.

Here's to using these tools like William Henry Jackson and Frank Hurley. Boy have we got it easy.

Dave

hcubell

Well, I really look forward to my trip to Iceland later this year now. At least the GFX is weather sealed. :bugeyes:
You are in luck! The guy in the photograph was using a Fuji XT-2, I believe. Nobody's camera but mine failed, and, of course, my system was orders of magnitude more expensive. The photographers in this forum know that feeling well, I suspect.

hcubell

Now that looks like an adventure Howard! I'd love to see the shot he got there. The light on those rocks rocks look like they would have made a dramatic image.

Yeah, strategically placed gaffers tape always helps. I have a piece for the swing door on the back. Getting water in the lenses has always been the thing I worry about and protect against. I've probably just been dumb lucky.

Here's to using these tools like William Henry Jackson and Frank Hurley. Boy have we got it easy.

Dave
You can see my effort to photograph that location here:

http://www.howardcubell.com/GalleryMain.asp?GalleryID=166970&AKey=Y47V3J5A

Before that trip, it would never have occurred to me to even attempt to photograph under those conditions.

vjbelle

First image from Lofoten..... very challenging weather conditions. Changeable every couple of minutes if you can believe it. I brought both my Actus and Alpa to accommodate any weather conditions but its really something here.

Two image stitch 10mm left/right. Actus, Schneider 100mm, Phase 3100.

Victor

Attachments

vjbelle

It appears that yesterday may be the only break in the weather for this trip. Today is rainy and very gloomy and the forecasts only go down from here. Although.... the break in the weather yesterday came out of nowhere.

From yesterday.... 2 image stitch 10mm left and right, STC, 150mm Digitar, Phase 3100.

Victor

Attachments

algrove

Vjbelle
Enjoying your images.

What lens selections did you take with you? I see the 150 and 100 which perform well across the bay for your shots. So on the IQ3100 the 150 appears to be about a 35 equivalent of 93mm, if my calculations are correct and the 100 would be around a 63mm equivalent. Do you ever tilt these too?

Have you been cropping the images a lot in what we see here?

These days my vision seems to be either real wide 18-21 or 70-95. So for me right now a 2 lens setup could be 40 and 150 while waiting on what lens might fit in between.

I want the best IQ from whatever lenses I acquire. From these online jpegs both the 100 and 150 seem great.

vjbelle

Algrove... Lofoten is a fascinating place to photograph and regardless of weather I would more than likely return. I brought my entire arsenal of lenses (35XL, 60XL, 72 Digitar, 100 Digitar, 120 Digitar, 150 Digitar and 180 Digitar). All are Schneiders. I have sung praises for the 100mm Digitar many times as it is really a stellar lens. No longer made though... as all of them will cease to exists new sooner or later. Before this trip I did a little homework and one of the ebooks I purchased had a lens recommendation of 24mm and almost northing else (35mm format). I have yet to find a need for my 35XL or even my 60XL. Thats just me and how I like to shoot but I feel this is 100mm and up territory.

None of my images are cropped. Must be my old training days of low MP where everything had to count. My stitched images are always taken with the intent of printing 16X9 which is one of my favorite formats. 10mm shift left and right gives me that almost straight out of the stitched image.... only have to slightly crop. That slight shifting still keeps me in the sweet spot of the lens and my edges stay very crisp.

Best......

Victor

Edit: I should add that I will crop an original 4X3 image to 16X9 for the visual effect I am trying to achieve.

Last edited:

vjbelle

As I have travelled to many parts of the world Lofoten is something, as a photographer, you should see. I will be back regardless of weather. There is always something to photograph.

STC, 150mm Digitar, Big Stopper at 30 seconds, Phase 3100.

Victor

Attachments

beano_z

So a friend suggested that we should visit Larung Gar (Sertar County, Sichuan Province, China), presumably while it is still there (before torn down and rebuild into characterless identical cubes due to fire hazard concerns) and the best time for both of us turned out to be early March this year. So lucky as we were, we encountered the larges snowfall they experienced over there in recent years, which do make for somewhat different images.

Transport however, was a bit sketchy at times and involved us having to push cars out of the snow at 4000m altitude in sub zero temperatures. But all I can say that it was truly a trip of a lifetime and an absolutely amazing place to visit.

To get this shot we waited a good 1.5 hours in the early morning, before sunrise, for the snow to pass and a break to appear in the clouds. Shooting location was about 3800m above sea level and that morning the temperature must have been around -10C (my glasses were fogged up and frozen).

Sertar Sunrise 01 - 04-Mar-2017
by BB, on Flickr

And here are some "behind the scenes" shots (maybe they should belong to the other dedicated thread)...:grin:

algrove

Algrove... Lofoten is a fascinating place to photograph and regardless of weather I would more than likely return. I brought my entire arsenal of lenses (35XL, 60XL, 72 Digitar, 100 Digitar, 120 Digitar, 150 Digitar and 180 Digitar). All are Schneiders. I have sung praises for the 100mm Digitar many times as it is really a stellar lens. No longer made though... as all of them will cease to exists new sooner or later. Before this trip I did a little homework and one of the ebooks I purchased had a lens recommendation of 24mm and almost northing else (35mm format). I have yet to find a need for my 35XL or even my 60XL. Thats just me and how I like to shoot but I feel this is 100mm and up territory.

None of my images are cropped. Must be my old training days of low MP where everything had to count. My stitched images are always taken with the intent of printing 16X9 which is one of my favorite formats. 10mm shift left and right gives me that almost straight out of the stitched image.... only have to slightly crop. That slight shifting still keeps me in the sweet spot of the lens and my edges stay very crisp.

Best......

Victor

Edit: I should add that I will crop an original 4X3 image to 16X9 for the visual effect I am trying to achieve.
Many thanks for the reply. Of the 100, 120, 150 and 180 which in your experiences is THE sharpest and with the largest image circle? How does the 72 compare to the best of the 4 longer lenses I mention?

vjbelle

Algrove.... its morning here and there is literally a blizzard outside! Hopefully it will clear up a little later.

Of the lenses you mention ALL are very sharp. The 120, 150 and 180 can be shot wide open but I never use that f stop. The 100 should be shot at f11 but f10 through f8 are also extremely good. I shoot the 120, 150 and 180 at f10 where they are extremely sharp. Its very difficult to say which is the sharpest since they are all so stellar. If I had to pick just one focal length it would probably be the 100 as its such a useful focal length for me. The 120 would be next..... but they are all needed. The 60, 100 and 150 are kept in Alpa mounts for those times when I have to use my STC. Those three focal lengths cover just about 99% of anything I would take. Everything else is in Copal 0 mounts for my Actus. The 100 and 60 can also be used on the Actus. The 150 hangs out too far on the front standard so I don't use it on the Actus. The 72 has a 90 degree image circle, the 100 has a 100 degree image circle, the 120 and 150 have 110 degree image circles and the 180 has a 120 degree image circle.

To revisit sharpness.... its just not something I concern myself with as they are all sharp. The 72 easily competes with the longer focal lengths but is not used as much as the 100 (just my needs) and should be shot at f11. If I did not have my 100 I would be forced to purchase a Rody 90 as I need something in that focal length.

As I have been composing this the weather has gone from blizzard to the sun peeking through...... just amazing!

Hope all of this helps.....

Victor

vjbelle

Snowing like crazy here and supposed to stay that way through tomorrow which is my last day here. Luckily I have my wife with me (chief umbrella holder) so I was able to take this shot. These are typical fishing huts. I purposely cut off the left side of the hut in front for this composition. You can just make out the grass roofs that are covered with snow.

STC, 100mm Digitar, Phase 3100.

Victor

Attachments

beano_z

Finally finished editing the rest of the images from the trip to Larung Gar two weeks ago, here are some more shots....

Afternoon shot:

Sertar Afternoon 02 - 04-Mar-2017
by BB, on Flickr

Evening shot:

Sertar Sunset 01 - 04-Mar-2017
by BB, on Flickr

And lastly, sort of a test shot on Velvia 50 slide film, first time shooting anything "serious" with the Mamiya 6x9 film back for ALPA. This image is a horizontal stitch of 3 images, shifted left and right at 18mm......which turned out to be just about 10% wider than the 6x9 shot, talk about a waste of film :facesmack:

Looking back, I should have known that the 6x9 back is already stretching the image circle allowed by the ALPA square mount system, which is I believe only 10cm wide (and high) on the inside. Anyway, still very much blown away by the image quality of this film (processed and scanned by a friend on his Hasselblad X5)

Sertar Sunrise 04 Velvia 50 Small - 05-Mar-2017
by BB, on Flickr