The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

vjbelle

On the way to Siena from San Quirico this can be found. I've seen it both in fall and spring and both are interesting. I always get in a little close and this is no exception. Schneider 72mm Digitar, Phase 3100, Cambo Actus DB+ with 12mm rise. BW processing in C1.

Victor

Attachments

JohnBrew

Victor, was at very same places two weeks ago. Didn't take my tech cam, though!
Some of the places are difficult to shoot due to placement, like the Belvedere, so you did well.

vjbelle

John, I never found Belvedere even though it was prominently listed in Google maps. I got to the location and sure enough I was at some Belvedere hotel but nothing I expected. No place for an image to be taken and appeared to be closed. A real waste of a half day. I could give you the coordinates, if I still have them, for my sunrise shot but I hesitate as I could be contributing to your demise. At the Dolomites now for a week of shooting.

Cheers

Victor

sc_john

Yesterday, while walking on beach with Cambo AE, Rodie 40 HR and IQ3100, I noticed that butterflies were quite active in the grass above the high tide line. So I gave it a try (on a tripod)...

100% crop of butterfly... gotta love that 3100 and 40 HR combo!

Thanks for looking,

John

dchew

My wife likes this one, probably because she remembers putting up with me slamming the brakes on a narrow winding road. sk150, two-image stitch, 18mm each way then cropped a little.

Dave

vjbelle

At the Dolomites for my third year in a row..... can't get enough or recommend enough. Although there are so many shots of this its really how the lighting effects the image and the luck of being there at that time. This is not the best but it ranks with the really pretty good lighting times for me. Clouds had moved in and the sun had started to set. Fair amount of mist in the air so the mountains have a slight haze but still contribute a lot to the image. Can't say enough about the qualities of the 100mm Schneider Digitar which was used for this image.

Phase 3100, Schneider 100mm Digitar, Actus DB+ Shifted 10mm left and right.

Victor

Attachments

dave.gt

Victor,

That image is idyllic. I knew there had to be places like that left on earth somewhere, it is fantastic that you are sharing this one!:thumbs:

Kinya28

Beautifully rendered. Love an uniform tone through out. Thank you for sharing.

Kinya

My wife likes this one, probably because she remembers putting up with me slamming the brakes on a narrow winding road. sk150, two-image stitch, 18mm each way then cropped a little.

Dave

dchew

Beautifully rendered. Love an uniform tone through out. Thank you for sharing.

Kinya
Kinya,
Thank you For the comments. Just spent the week in Mendocino and couldn’t ask for a better mix of weather. Just sad to drive through Santa Rosa. Saw some “sanomastrong” shirts in Healdsburg that said, “The love in the air is thicker than the smoke”.
:thumbup:

vjbelle

One of the many huts scattered throughout the Dolomites. There was no way I could have shot this with shifts as there would never be enough shift capability. The camera was swung fifteen degrees in each direction to get a 3X1 format.

Phase 3100, Schneider 180mm Digitar, Actus DB+

Victor

Attachments

dave.gt

Victor,

such a lovely image... I like the 3:1 format, it simply works perfectly.
You guys are convincing me with the tech cams!!!

:):):)

vjbelle

Dave.... my thoughts are if you need straight vertical lines (for me includes trees) then 'rise' is necessary and for that you need a tech camera. Some will say that all of that can be fixed in post but my experience has been that of the two I would much rather have 'rise' (within limits) over software manipulation. Swing vs shift is something else. I really think that when its easier I would rather swing the camera to achieve the horizontal effect I am after. I'm being 'real' picky now but these large image circle lenses are so good that if I swing the camera I give up none of the super sharpness (corner to corner) that I am after. I don't even concern myself with 'Nodal' anymore as the software is so good that it easily stitches images where 'nodal' wasn't strictly adhered to. This is just for me and I'm not recommending this workflow for anyone else. But..... if I were to even try to shift to get the above image I would have more than likely been outside of the image circle and if not there would have been some degradation to the edges (even with the unbelievably stellar 180mm Digitar). With swing there is none. I did use 'rise' for the above 'Hut' image to keep vertical lines straight.

Cheers.....

Victor

Last edited:

vjbelle

I came across this small church while exploring around Ortisei where my wife and I usually stay. There are numerous churches in the Dolomites worth photographing..... just have to find them.

Phase 3100, Schneider 60mm Digitar, Actus DB+, 10mm Rise.

Cheers from Italy....

Victor

Attachments

pegelli

John, I never found Belvedere even though it was prominently listed in Google maps. I got to the location and sure enough I was at some Belvedere hotel but nothing I expected. No place for an image to be taken and appeared to be closed. A real waste of a half day. I could give you the coordinates, if I still have them, for my sunrise shot but I hesitate as I could be contributing to your demise. At the Dolomites now for a week of shooting.

Cheers

Victor
I see you are tremendously enjoying the Dolomites! Great images.

I've got no pictures to contribute here (no technical camera) but might point out the Belvedere near San Quirico d'Orcia that I know (and visited)

Here's the Google maps reference: https://www.google.be/maps/@43.0635268,11.6149368,751m/data=!3m1!1e3

You park your car a little further on a small gravel parking along the road from the "best spot" and then walk into the grove until you hit the ridge.

Actually I think several spots along the ridge have a good view on the famous farm.

Here's a link to a Panorama I shot from there (with an APS-C camera :eek:):

Was this the spot you went to? Since the hotel here is called "Casanova" I have a hunch you were directed to a different spot.

vjbelle

Thanks so much for the clarification regarding the Belevedere location. The hotel I was directed to was called 'Belvedere' and really did appear to be closed.

Again...... thanks much.

Victor

vjbelle

This is the main reason I come to the Dolomites. The Alpa di Suisi mountain view is absolutely spectacular in the right light. The weather here had changed dramatically last night and I got lucky. I may actually get to shoot this again tomorrow late in the afternoon and get the same type of lighting and cloud contribution.

Phase 3100, Schneider 100mm Digitar, Actus DB+, 8mm Rise, Camera swing of 10 degrees left and right and then cropped to 2X1.

Victor

Attachments

Last edited:

dchew

Congrats Victor, beautiful! I bet your palms were sweating from excitement regardless of the temperature.

Dave

vjbelle

Thanks much Dave....... it was really cold but not windy so a least I got that break. There are rules for driving cars in this area. Almost all year cars cannot be driven where I was from 9:00AM to 5:00PM. The exceptions are the off seasons of November and December and April and May. FMPOV this is ideal for photographers. The sun is fairly high at 9:00 and at this time of the year behind the mountains and for sure I don't want to be here before 5:00PM. The above image was taken at around 5:50PM. The driving rules have never been enforced when I have been here which has always been late October. When it is enforced the fine is 200.00 Euros.

Cheers.....

Victor

vjbelle

I see you are tremendously enjoying the Dolomites! Great images.

I've got no pictures to contribute here (no technical camera) but might point out the Belvedere near San Quirico d'Orcia that I know (and visited)

Here's the Google maps reference: https://www.google.be/maps/@43.0635268,11.6149368,751m/data=!3m1!1e3

You park your car a little further on a small gravel parking along the road from the "best spot" and then walk into the grove until you hit the ridge.

Actually I think several spots along the ridge have a good view on the famous farm.

Here's a link to a Panorama I shot from there (with an APS-C camera :eek:):

Was this the spot you went to? Since the hotel here is called "Casanova" I have a hunch you were directed to a different spot.
What I had done was searched for Belvedere Farm House in Google Maps which got me to something called Belvedere. It was a fair distance from Pienza and its coordinates are not the same as yours. Your coordinates actually are quite close to San Quirico. Its a shame I'm not in that area now but will save your info for another day.

Thanks again for your help......

Victor