The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

TimG

One from the Badwater,

Really like it out there, but struggle without much of a sky - I bet it's amazing in a Thunderstorm :D

It's kinda weird coming from the UK, where I half the time I have to deal with slate-grey overcast sky, to Death Valley where there's nothing but sun - but a very similar problem - lack of interest and light,

2 shot stitch 20mm either side with the 32 rodenstock, 10 mm rise, 0.5 front tilt, IQ260,

vjbelle

I have moved on from the Dolomites to Venice. There are always lots of photographic opportunities in Venice - at least for me. Although this has been shot a zillion times I thought I would post it as my first from Venice. Early in the morning so I kept the warmth of the time. Processed with C1 which I am becoming more and more impressed with. Normally I would leave all processing to PS but am using C1 more and more.

Phase 3100, 72mm Schneider Digitar, Actus DB+ 5mm Rise and cropped to 2X1.

Cheers from Venice.....

Victor

Attachments

vjbelle

One of the many doorways that I like to photograph in Venice. There are so many that it requires a lot of walking, slow and deliberate, that will reward any photographer who is after this kind of architectural detail. I also cannot stress enough that without movements many of the images in Venice would be impossible without lots of software manipulation that I really don't recommend. I struggle a little traveling with a camera this heavy but its really hard to give up movements. My total weight with tripod is 20 pounds which even now at my age is not all that difficult. All processing in C1.

Phase 3100, Schneider 72mm Digitar, Actus DB+ 10mm rise.

Cheers from Venice....

Victor

Attachments

Last edited:

vjbelle

Walking around Venice with my Cambo on my shoulder..... nobody seems to really care as they've seen it all before. Lovely day with high clouds.... great lighting for these types of images.

Phase 3100, Schneider 72mm Digitar, Actus DB+ with 13mm rise cropped to 16X9. All processing in C1.

Cheers from Italy....

Victor

Attachments

Last edited:

TimG

One from sequoia national park tonight, stopped off - not been there before, but found this nice tree that was screaming to be photographed, no doubt it's been done before but it was nice anyway!

IQ260, 0.9 hard, 32 rodie, 1/4 second @ F8

vjbelle

I wanted to post something with the 35mm Digitar with its straight, straight lines. Almost zero distortion.

Phase 3100, Schneider 35mm Digitar, Actus DB+ with 8mm rise. Processing in C1.

Cheers from Italy...

Victor

Attachments

JohnBrew

Victor, when I arrived in Italy I was presented with a copy of "Belvedere", photography by Guido Cozzi. If you get the opportunity you might pop into a bookstore and have a look.
I am enjoying your images and like the color from the 3100 very much.

vjbelle

John..... thanks so much. With regards to color I have found that Phase seems to be a little too warm for my taste which makes me cool it just a little. Nothing dramatic but just enough to satisfy my eye. Not all images need temperature correction. The image above I left alone with just a little saturation added and shadows brought up a little. The mighty 35mm Digitar showed its stuff.... I really like that lens for the few times I need it.

Cheers.....

Victor

vjbelle

Another one of the many doors to be seen in Venice.

Phase 3100, Schneider 72mm Digitar, Actus Db+ around 8mm rise. Processing in C1.

Cheers.....

Victor

Attachments

vjbelle

This is the official Gondola repair facility. I thought maybe someone would get a kick out of seeing it.

Phase 3100, Schneider 72mm Digitar, Actus DB+ with 10mm rise. Image is composite of three images swung 15 degrees left and right and one centered processed in C1 - stitching with PTGUI.

Cheers from Venice.....

Victor

Attachments

Last edited:

TimG

In Yosemite for a few days, decided to stay away from the valley as it was just a freeway/parking lot, and went to the Tuolumne meadows which I thought were much better, preferred to try and do my own thing rather than repeat everyone elses's shots.

WRS/IQ260/Rodie 32, 0.9 hard

cunim

This is the official Gondola repair facility. I thought maybe someone would get a kick out of seeing it.

Phase 3100, Schneider 72mm Digitar, Actus DB+ with 10mm rise. Image is composite of three images swung 15 degrees left and right and one centered processed in C1 - stitching with PTGUI.

Cheers from Venice.....

Victor
Victor, I'd like to get a better feel for the swing effect. If you could do a shot or two of the same subject with both methods and post the result, it would be appreciated. Maybe a new topic?

vjbelle

There is no 'effect' with swing vs shift other than with swing you remain in the ultimate sweet spot of the lens. The image you referenced could not be accomplished with shift as there wasn't enough shift available and if there was, for sure, the edges of the image would be severely degraded.

If possible I would almost rather swing than shift. Rise, of course, is another issue and is my most important camera movement as I very much dislike software correction for the keystone effect. I consider it destructive and always requires subsequent manipulation to correct for the squatting effect. The image is always reduced in size somewhat which I also dislike.

All of this you can easily test for yourself.....

Horses for courses....... this just happens to be my workflow.

Victor

TimoK

There is no 'effect' with swing vs shift other than with swing you remain in the ultimate sweet spot of the lens. The image you referenced could not be accomplished with shift as there wasn't enough shift available and if there was, for sure, the edges of the image would be severely degraded.

If possible I would almost rather swing than shift. Rise, of course, is another issue and is my most important camera movement as I very much dislike software correction for the keystone effect. I consider it destructive and always requires subsequent manipulation to correct for the squatting effect. The image is always reduced in size somewhat which I also dislike.

All of this you can easily test for yourself.....

Horses for courses....... this just happens to be my workflow.

Victor
I did not believe. I tried to test. Still I don't believe. I guess You are speaking of panning when You say swing. No?

vjbelle

Really don't understand your comment. What is there to believe or not? Swing is Pan. Just my choice of words. Should not have been difficult to figure out.

Victor

TimoK

Really don't understand your comment. What is there to believe or not? Swing is Pan. Just my choice of words. Should not have been difficult to figure out.

Victor
Sorry, it's more difficult if you can't English. I was thinking all the time swinging the lens or rear standard. But if you can tilt the whole camera, why not swing? My mistake.

vjbelle

Very much understand. By 'Swing' I should have explained that my terminology means to 'swing/pan' the camera instead of shift the front standard. I get kind of loose with these terms and figure out that everyone knows what I'm talking about. The correct term really is 'Pan'.

Regards,

Victor

TimG

A panoramic from Tuolumne Meadow, think I prefer this to the other shot I took,

20mm either side, LCC removed, rodie 32, IQ260, WRS 5000