The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

Pemihan

Hi
I have just spent the last hour looking at some of the pictures in this thread and I am in awe.

So I have a question. At home I have and shoot a 8x10 Chamonix......which is my thinking of a technical camera. I am in the process of buying a H6D100c and stumbled across this thread and find that you also calling this a technical camera thread but you are shooting it with a digital back..........how is that possible. Are you saying that you have movements the same as a Chamonix 8x10 or am I confused.....I think I am confused.
Please can someone take five minutes in trying to explain to me about a digital technical camera or send me a link to it so that I can try and figure it out for myself?
I am reading things like Cambo WRS and Rodie 32 and haven't got a clue what this jargon means but I want to take pictures like this :)

Neil
Hi Neil,

I use a Cambo WRS camera with a digital back and Rodenstock and Schneider lenses mounted in tilt/swing panels. The camera allows for shifts left/right and up/down simultaneously and the lenses provide tilt and swing movements.

Take a look at this thread: Show us your Tech Cam

Cambo WRS: Cambo

Rodie 32 (in Cambo mount)

Best
Peter

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Neil,

One thing we forget about when comparing Leica S vs. Phase vs. Otus vs. whatever for "best lens": The Schneider and Rodenstock tech camera lenses leave them all in the dust for sharpness and CA. They are usually used at f/8-f/13, so you won't get the bokeh or blur from a good MF or FF lens, but for detail, OMG!:bugeyes:

When on a photo trip, the tech camera is my favorite. Set up, wait for the light.... But I spend most of my photography time walking around and shooting whatever is interesting, and so I moved to the Leica S.

If you like large format film, and it seems you do, you will have great fun with a tech cam!

Best,

Matt

cunim

Hi
I have just spent the last hour looking at some of the pictures in this thread and I am in awe.

So I have a question. At home I have and shoot a 8x10 Chamonix......which is my thinking of a technical camera. I am in the process of buying a H6D100c and stumbled across this thread and find that you also calling this a technical camera thread but you are shooting it with a digital back..........how is that possible. Are you saying that you have movements the same as a Chamonix 8x10 or am I confused.....I think I am confused.
Please can someone take five minutes in trying to explain to me about a digital technical camera or send me a link to it so that I can try and figure it out for myself?
I am reading things like Cambo WRS and Rodie 32 and haven't got a clue what this jargon means but I want to take pictures like this :)

Neil
Yes, movements are the same if you have a view camera with movements. That would be discrete front and rear standards with rise/fall, shift, swing and tilt. Trickier to apply the movements on the very small sensor, but possible.

Check out the Sinar P3 or Arca Swiss Monolith view cameras for full movements. Technical cameras are more limited than these studio view cameras, but sure are easier to move around. Your choice.

ndwgolf

Yes, movements are the same if you have a view camera with movements. That would be discrete front and rear standards with rise/fall, shift, swing and tilt. Trickier to apply the movements on the very small sensor, but possible.

Check out the Sinar P3 or Arca Swiss Monolith view cameras for full movements. Technical cameras are more limited than these studio view cameras, but sure are easier to move around. Your choice.
I would only be interested in rise and fall and maybe some shift so a basic tech camera should do the trick.....I think the Hasselblad has an adapter for those minimal movements?

Neil

dchew

I would only be interested in rise and fall and maybe some shift so a basic tech camera should do the trick.....I think the Hasselblad has an adapter for those minimal movements?

Neil
Neil,
If you are interested in technical cameras with somewhat limited movements, here is a thread focused on some of those options:
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/61153-cambo-wrs-1600-alpa-stc-any-other-suggestions.html

I think whether or not you have a digital back with/without live view makes a difference in what is workable in the field. Now that CMOS digital backs have come on the scene, the Cambo Actus type cameras have done very well since LV solves the focusing problem. Without some sort of accurate focusing helical like Arca or Alpa, it was difficult to get reliable focus using the ground glass on such a small image without CMOS live view.

With live view, that constraint is removed and it opens up a host of designs and configurations that are very effective.

Dave

ndwgolf

Neil,
If you are interested in technical cameras with somewhat limited movements, here is a thread focused on some of those options:
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/61153-cambo-wrs-1600-alpa-stc-any-other-suggestions.html

I think whether or not you have a digital back with/without live view makes a difference in what is workable in the field. Now that CMOS digital backs have come on the scene, the Cambo Actus type cameras have done very well since LV solves the focusing problem. Without some sort of accurate focusing helical like Arca or Alpa, it was difficult to get reliable focus using the ground glass on such a small image without CMOS live view.

With live view, that constraint is removed and it opens up a host of designs and configurations that are very effective.

Dave
Thanks for the link Dave..........Let me get set up with a digital back and camera first then we will know what I have to play with

Neil

4*Paul

I'm not sure that it was such a good idea to post my first photo straight after the excellent one from awolf - but here goes.
In my excitement I forgot to say that it is the river Lael in Wester Ross, Scotland and was taken with an Alpa STC 40mm Rodie and P1 IQ3100.

Attachments

Last edited:

drunkenspyder

New Year's Day sunset at the south tufa formation on Mono Lake. Waiting for the super moon.
Cambo WRS1600 | Rodie 32mm | ISO35 | f/16 | 8s | Trichromatic back

CF001082 3.jpg

Last edited:

drunkenspyder

Super moon peekaboo at south tufa formations on Mono Lake on New Year's Day.
Cambo WRS1600 | Rodie 32mm | ISO35 | f/11 | .5s | Trichromatic back
CF001095 3.jpg

Jamgolf

Nothing special. Its been a gloomy day, so just messing around with the 23HR around the house.
Wondering if I should just hang on to it, even though I have used it far less than I originally thought.

23HR