The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

drunkenspyder

Maui Dawn

Cambo 1600 | Trichro | Rodie 40 | f/16 | 6s | ISO 35
[NOTE: I realize this is an images forum, but I hope it's okay to post this story here.]
Props to Steve Hendrix, Capture Integration, and Phase One for standing behind their customers. On Thursday morning before dawn, July 5, I went down to a remote area jutting out into the north side ocean of west Maui just to the west of the Olivine Pools and near the Mushroom-Shaped Rock. Unlike the Olivine Pools, there is no parking here (you just have to know where to stop and park your car as far off the side of the road as possible), the downhill 4WD-rutted trail is almost entirely hidden by sugar cane and other brush, and the shore is blockaded by a large, wide and deep boulder field. I was part of a Gary Hart workshop that visited this spot last year during the day and at low tide. It was/is beautiful, and even at low tide, the ocean’s power crashing into the rocks is impressive.

On Wednesday, July 4, I scouted during the day. It was beautiful, and using TPE, I found a spot that I thought would afford excellent foreground and middle depth and interest, reflecting pools, and with good background for the sunrise on Thursday. All looked good, though I did mention to my partner Mary that night at dinner, that the only thing I was unsure of was the tide and any changes in water depth on the flats closest to the water and the tidal pools.

I arrived at the boulder field before dawn after slipping and sliding through the wet trail. It was still very dark, and even with a good headlamp, and having traversed it several times before, it was slow going. And the surf was thunderous. It was obvious I was dealing with a different tide than the previous day. I would learn later there was an eastern swell magnifying waves on the north shore. When I arrived at my spot, it was under about 4-6 inches of rushing water. By itself, that wasn’t too daunting, though it slowed my setup slightly. Finding a place to set my pack above the repeated tidal swells from the waves took a little longer, and in the dark, it took a little longer to make sure the tripod was secure. But I got it all there, and had a chance to watch the wave action for several minutes. I’ve read you should watch the ocean for at least 10 minutes, and of course never turn your back on it. Occasionally larger waves and water rushes would push through requiring me to lift the rig high to reduce spray exposure and then wipe down the rig. I was shooting on an RRS TVC-34L, leveling base, Arca Cube, and RRS rail. As noted in the image specs, I shot the Cambo 1600, Trichro, Rodie 40, ProGrey 150Z, and a Lee case of multiple ND, gradient, and polarizer filters. In my pack was a Sony DSC RX-10 IV, the Rodie 23, and some odds & ends.

As the dawn light began to appear and reveal beautiful clouds, even better than I had hoped,I probably began to pay less attention to the waves though it was impossible not to hear the roar, and I was fairly comfortable I could hear the difference of the larger ones. I was facing to the east, perpendicular to the waves, so I could see the water out of the corner of my eye. As the light was rising, I had reduced exposures from 2 minutes down to about 8 seconds. Just as colorful light hit the clouds and then shimmered on the tidal pool water, I snapped another sketch shot on my phone. And then I heard another wave hit the rocks hard. I looked up from my rig and saw a wall of water rise over and down on me. And all my equipment. Before I could pick up my rig, we were under water, as was my backpack.

Fortunately I was swept toward land into a tidal pool. I tried to keep the Trichro above water by holding the tripod legs low. But I was too far under. The Phase One, the Cambo, the Rodie 40, the ProGrey Filter holder and glass filters, the Arca Cube, RRS rail and tripod, all took a complete bath. I scrambled out of one tidal pool only to have the next wave push me into another. At that point, I knew the shoot was done, and focused on getting the hell out of there. I did nott have my PLB, my partner did not know my shoot location, and nobody else was around. Even with good river sandals, everything was slippery and slow going.

Back on dry land, I found my iPhone X still working [as was the Sony], so I called Steve Hendrix at CI. One of his first questions was whether anyone got this misadventure on video. ;-) But no. I told him I needed to get a replacement for the Trichro, because it seemed pretty dead, and I was heading to Bali the next Tuesday. Anyway, he confirmed my address, and said he would get on it right away. I left Maui Saturday. The loaner Trichro was delivered to my home Friday. That might be expected by some, but it was impressive to me. Thanks Steve, CI, and PO!

P.S. Everyone asks me about insurance. We’ll see how that goes. Phase One has declared the back a total loss.
P.P.S. I learned more than one lesson from this experience, and it’s all about preparation: a location map for my partner, check the tide tables, carry my PLB at all times, possibly camp out the night before so my set-up time in the dark is minimized. But seriously, use the Ruggard storm shield that was in my Shimoda pack, and I just forgot to pull out.
P.P.S. The shot posted above was the last I took with the Trichro. Just before the wave hit, I took one more iPhone shot of the beautiful dawn shimmer that hit the water. I'll post that in the small sensor section.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Ouch - but thankfully you got out ok which isn’t always a given with that type of rogue surf. The gear can always be replaced but you can’t.

Aviv1887

No way, I got nervous reading this in the expectation of.......great to hear you're fine and taking this so...well "lightly". Some good story telling. Please enjoy Bali and maybe a little less drunkenspider stories. Bali is a place where magic happens if you're open for it.

drunkenspyder

No way, I got nervous reading this in the expectation of.......great to hear you're fine and taking this so...well "lightly". Some good story telling. Please enjoy Bali and maybe a little less drunkenspider stories. Bali is a place where magic happens if you're open for it.
Agreed. Back from Bali. This was my second time. Loved it as before, though their mounting trash problem looks increasingly daunting.

jng

Some images from Hong Kong last week

Sunrise from the peak, Lugard Road Lookout:
Binbin,

These images are terrific. I am especially enamoured by the view from the Peak. Next time I am there, I will need to hike up Lugard Rd to find a nice vantage point, hopefully also away from the crowds. Have you shot from up there at sunset as well? Thanks.

John

beano_z

Binbin,

These images are terrific. I am especially enamoured by the view from the Peak. Next time I am there, I will need to hike up Lugard Rd to find a nice vantage point, hopefully also away from the crowds. Have you shot from up there at sunset as well? Thanks.

John
Hi John, thanks! For Lugard road, since the most popular (also nearest to the bus station / taxi stand / car park) viewpoint is facing north east, and a bit west of Central, the best view and light combination will be sunrise. Of course under certain conditions sunset would be lovely too from the same location.

You could also walk even further down Lugard road, which then turns more towards north west, which potentially could have some nice views for sunset (if you want to shoot into the sun), but I’ve never ventured that way before.

The popular viewpoint can be crowded even during the week, when the forecast is promising, but never so much that you won’t be able to place one tripod. However, during the best shooting season I would avoid Saturday and Sunday mornings as some of the LFC crowd always seem to make their way up to the peak and to be completely honest, they tend to ruin the shooting experience for most of us.

Wish you good luck next time you’re in HK and do try the typhoon season (July / August) as then you’ll have the most epic clouds and clear air, albeit at the expense of high humidity and heat, but no one ever said making a good photograph is easy :grin:

jng

Thanks, Binbin! I'm mostly looking to catch the sun reflecting off the buildings in Central, and then the view at early dusk when the city lights come on. I was there in late March but unfortunately the sky was hazy, so it wasn't the day to get a trophy shot by any means. And the crowds around the main visitor terrace were, as always, insane with people and selfie-sticks. Hopefully the walk on Lugard Rd. is a little calmer? Anyway, I managed to get a spot by the edge, rested my camera on the rail, and guarded my space so that no one would knock my camera over. I posted a few images in the Fun with MF Images a few months ago (https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...-backs/4730-fun-mf-images-458.html#post755281 - there's another one 16 posts further down, taken in the late afternoon before the sun set).

Wish you good luck next time you’re in HK and do try the typhoon season (July / August) as then you’ll have the most epic clouds and clear air, albeit at the expense of high humidity and heat, but no one ever said making a good photograph is easy :grin:
I was there again in late June/early July, but didn't make it up to the peak. The heat and humidity were, shall we say, a little extreme. But yes, the clouds were impressive. Next time!

John

stngoldberg

The guy that owns "The Cookie Jar" is an acquaintance of mine. You would not believe how profitable his little store is

Stanley

Pemihan

Waiting for the Blood Moon that never came.

Cambo WRS, IQ3 Achro, SK 120 Aspheric.

Last edited: