The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

tcdeveau

Very nice indeed, Dan!

Could you share a little more in on your setup? I assume you’re using the Alpa X1D Adapter, but what body (Max?)/ts Adapter/lens adapter combo are you using for the 40mm?
-Todd

danlindberg

Thanks!

X1D -> Alpa adapter HXD -> intermediate 11mm -> MAX body -> intermediate tilt 17 -> Alpa V plate -> Cfi 40 IF

Works like a charm and the lens is impressive, very very close to the Rodie 32 (a bit more distortion but the resolution is definitely there). And oh my, how easy it is using tilt for DOF with live view! No craftmanship needed anymore :eek:

jng

Dan,

Beautiful image and nice kit! I agree that the 40 IF CFE is a wonderful lens with buttery smooth focusing. But it's a beast! I very reluctantly sold mine (a really nice copy, too) as it rarely came out of the case after being replaced by a Rodie 40HR mated to the Cambo. Sigh...

John

danlindberg

Dan,

Beautiful image and nice kit! I agree that the 40 IF CFE is a wonderful lens with buttery smooth focusing. But it's a beast! I very reluctantly sold mine (a really nice copy, too) as it rarely came out of the case after being replaced by a Rodie 40HR mated to the Cambo. Sigh...

John
John, I looked at my lens since you wrote CFE, only to confirm that you are absolutely right - damn, it says CFE!!! I have had mine for 8 years and ever since I bought it I have called it Cfi...:grin::grin::grin::bugeyes: Guess you learn somehting new everyday!

I am VERY happy now that I never sold mine, it really shines on the X1D sensor. It has made me thinking if I should pick up a Cfi 100/3.5 (that one is called Cfi) which probably make up the two best V lenses and use them as a two-lens setup for landscapes with all movements possible! It's a thought!

tcdeveau

Thanks!

X1D -> Alpa adapter HXD -> intermediate 11mm -> MAX body -> intermediate tilt 17 -> Alpa V plate -> Cfi 40 IF

Works like a charm and the lens is impressive, very very close to the Rodie 32 (a bit more distortion but the resolution is definitely there). And oh my, how easy it is using tilt for DOF with live view! No craftmanship needed anymore :eek:
Thanks Dan! I’ve been trying to figure out different ways to make use of my X1D on my STC without buying SB34 lenses, and this could be an option for me
-Todd

jng

Dan,

I sold my 40 IF only very reluctantly, as I really don't like parting with good glass once I get my hands on them. I can confirm that the 100 f/3.5 is excellent and does very well on the X1D. As does the 180 f/4 and my favorite: the 250 f/5.6 Superachromat. For the latter I found I can get +/- 12mm vertical and +/- 10mm lateral shift with no issues on the 100 Mp 40x56mm sensor, so you can shift away using the X1D. Aside from weight and necessity to use electronic shutter, there really is no compromise in using the old V system telephotos.

John

jng

Apologies if I'm overdoing the sunsets (the next best thing after cat pics) but the autumn skies over the San Francisco bay have been putting on a show around dinnertime. This one was taken around 15 minutes after the sun disappeared below the layer of fog on the horizon.

P11_03_2018_19931_C1-w-border-small.jpg

WRS1250 | IQ3100 | 250 Superachromat | f/8

Last edited:

Pemihan

All three images:

Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, Utah, 2013.
Cambo WRS, Leaf Aptus-II 7, SK24XL.

PeterL

Dan, beautiful images with the CFE 40mm, very interesting solution with the Alpa gear. Are there any issues with color cast using the X1D and the CFE 40mm with the shift you've been using?

Cheers, -Peter

danlindberg

Dan, beautiful images with the CFE 40mm, very interesting solution with the Alpa gear. Are there any issues with color cast using the X1D and the CFE 40mm with the shift you've been using?

Cheers, -Peter
Peter, I am pretty impressed with the Cfe 40 IF. It can take quite a bit of punishment. This is a little off topic but just now did a very quick and dirty test to show the capabilities of the lens - shot at f5.6. First image zeroed, second 10 mm rise and bottom one 15 mm rise.
Absolutely nothing done - straight out of camera! No LCC, no tweaking.

PeterL

Thanks for posting those Dan, very impressive, certainly 10mm is no problem. I will start looking at this as an alternative to the super expensive HR Alpagon 40mm when I make the jump to the X1D.

Cheers, -Peter

jng

As Dan has so nicely demonstrated, the 40 IF is an outstanding lens that can be put to good use with the available tech cam adapters. Being a true retrofocus design to accommodate the 500 bodies' mirror box, I wouldn't expect it to show much if any lens cast even when shifting. I previously used it on a Flexbody and saw no issues when shifting vertically to at least 10mm on the larger IQ160 sensor, but then again the IQ160's sensor handles shifts pretty well to begin with. The 40 IF is certainly a reasonable alternative to the 40HR especially if you already have one in your kit. However it's a beast and somewhat rare, even rarer at a reasonable price. Nostalgia aside, I have no regrets moving up to the 40HR.

John

Thanks for posting those Dan, very impressive, certainly 10mm is no problem. I will start looking at this as an alternative to the super expensive HR Alpagon 40mm when I make the jump to the X1D.

Cheers, -Peter

danlindberg

I'm pleased with this one from this weekend. This is again with the CFE 40 IF and here I had a 6 mm rise and a 12 mm left & 12 mm right shift for a high res pano. Tough to see on a low res web image, but everything 'white' on the centre line are in fact tree trunks...

jng

I'm pleased with this one from this weekend. This is again with the CFE 40 IF and here I had a 6 mm rise and a 12 mm left & 12 mm right shift for a high res pano. Tough to see on a low res web image, but everything 'white' on the centre line are in fact tree trunks...
Dan,

The composition of this image is simply stunning. I can only imagine it in its uncompressed form, even better as a large print hanging on your wall. Thanks for sharing it.

John

P.S. Your images are also causing me a serious case of seller's remorse for parting with my 40 IF. :cry: