The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

PeterL

IQ140 - Alpa STC - 120N-ASPH with 5mm raise. Behind the scene here, with another shot of these derelict buildings in Barbados.

Cheers, -Peter
CF002402 1-FrameShop_5.jpg

tcdeveau

Here's a "Fun with...." post :) First time ever shooting with a tech cam unassisted and first time posting images in this thread.

Finally got out to test to my STC and 70 HR after it sitting in my dry box for almost a year...with a little help from my friends. dave.gt was kind enough to lend me his H5D-50c back to use, and dchew was kind enough to send me his 40HR to test (thanks Daves! you guys rock). Rented H5D battery adapter from CI (thanks to you guys too!).

Initial processing with LCC done in Phocus (scene calibration function was pretty straightforward), stitched in Photoshop, processed in Nik Silver Efex 2 and LR. Not gonna lie, was feeling a little intimidated with everything, but shooting was pretty smooth and holy cow I think I'm in love. Shots aren't anything special, I'm just happy I was able to pull off successful stitches with LCCs on my first try. Need to get out some more this weekend if I've got time!
-Todd

First shot Alpa STC/40HR/H5D-50c back, f/8 1/250, 3 image stitch (-15, 0, +15)

Second shot Alpa STC/70HR/H5D-50c back, f/8, 1/250, 3 image stitch (-15, 0, +15)

Piedmont 40HR copy.jpg

Piedmont 70HR copy.jpg

dave.gt

Yowzah!

My first close-up encounter with an Alpa in action. Thanks TC! I really enjoyed being there and I am impressed!

Alpa is amazing! Expensive, yes, but amazing!

Now I know the allure of tech cameras, especially the Alpa. It seems to be the equivalent of a 1960s Ferrari GTO where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I have watched as you pieced your kit together one piece or two at a time, fascinated that the process was a piece of art being assembled with the end product of a high performance machine that had no automatic control anywhere outside of the digital back.

The images look great! :thumbup:

Thanks for posting! Looking forward to many more.:)

dchew

Nice work Todd! Good to see you get out and trying the gear.

Next time you shift 15mm, try just a 2-shot stitch and see if you notice any difference. I’ve been doing two for years (at 18mm) and haven’t noticed any problems, but it’s been so long since I compared vs three I could be missing something.

Dave

jng

Yes, nice work! I see that Dante is well on his way to claiming another victim!

Per Dave's comment, I've also skipped the center shot and just go with two-image stitches (typically out to +/- 15mm). This saves a lot of time and hassle (also in post) especially with LCC shots etc.

John

Nice work Todd! Good to see you get out and trying the gear.

Next time you shift 15mm, try just a 2-shot stitch and see if you notice any difference. I’ve been doing two for years (at 18mm) and haven’t noticed any problems, but it’s been so long since I compared vs three I could be missing something.

Dave

jotloob

Subscriber Member
. . . . . . I see that Dante is well on his way to claiming another victim! . . . . . .
How true . Dante is everywhere and never stops looking for victims . But without Dante , our world of photography would be boring ! ! ? :banghead:

Kinya28

Southwest Road trip image #1

Drove around Utah, Arizona, and California in the first half of November.
Started from my favorite location, Zion National Park.

IQ3100
Cambo WRS1600
SK120mm

Kinya

Last edited:

Kinya28

Southwest Road trip image #2

Another image at Zion National Park. Captured along Observation Point Trail.

IQ3100
Cambo WRS1600
Dodenstock HR70

Kinya

Last edited:

jng

Kinya,

Your images from the Observation Point Trail in Zion are beautiful. Thanks for sharing these! As I was sitting here admiring them, I thought to myself that the views looked familiar, and indeed they are. Below is an image from a cross-country road trip I took in the summer of 1978, shot on Ektachrome Pro superslide format either with a Hasselblad SWC or 60mm Distagon (I can't remember which, I've since lost any "metadata" if I even wrote it down at the time), scanned many decades later. And apologies that I'm posting this in the technical camera images thread...

John

Observation Point Trail 1978.jpg

Kinya28

Southwest Road trip image #3

Another image at Zion National Park. Looking back Observation Point Trail.

IQ3100
Cambo WRS1600
SK120mm

Kinya

Kinya28

Southwest Road trip image #4

Found a pot of autumn at higher elevation of Observation Point Trail.

IQ3100
Cambo WRS1600
Rodenstock HR32mm

Kinya

Kinya28

Southwest Road trip image #5

This is my first ultra wide image with Cambo WRS-Canon EF lens adapter. I love ultra wide angle shooting but never had a chance with IQ3100 until I borrowed this adapter from Ken Doo.

Thank you Ken!

IQ3100
Cambo WRS1600
Canon TS-E II 24mm

Kinya

Attachments

Kinya28

Southwest Road trip image #6

Some says The Narrows in Zion is too popular and crowded but it still is one of my most favorite hiking route. It is always make me feel good to walk in the river with dry pants and water shoes. Combination of stream and sandstone walls with warm reflected glowing light is always super photogenic.

Another super wide angle lens image with Cambo WRS-Canon EF Adapter

IQ3100
Cambo WRS1600
Canon 24mm TS-E

Joe,
I truly appreciate your encouragement, it means a lot for me. I am still a newbie for Medium Format and appreciate valuable information I am getting from this site.

Kinya

Attachments

dchew

I picked up some snow shoes and of course had to take them for a test drive.

Another early morning hike, this time to Lake Haiyaha. Alpa STC, IQ3100, sk35xl @f/13, no movements.

Dave

Kinya28

Southwest Road trip image #7

Another image from The Narrows and typical double reflections (Sandstone Wall>Sandstone Wall>Water)
With Cambo WRS-Canon EF Adapter.

IQ3100
Cambo WRS1600
Canon 24mm TS-E

Attachments