The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

drunkenspyder

Beautiful image Greg. The color palette is amazing. :thumbup:

Joe
Thanks Joe. It’s a beautiful place, and I’ve been fortunate to receive some excellent—and patient—mentoring and tutelage from John Kincaid, a landscape/resort photographer there (and elsewhere), in preserving and presenting the palette that is specific to the island. And thanks again for Frameshop; I love it!

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Two from my second day out with the IQ4-140 beastie, mounted on Alpa STC with Alpagon/Rodie 40mmHR both at F8 and both focus stacked. The first one has five frames, the second has four, combined in Helicon - and I should have shot eight to ten for each to get it right. Particularly at medium close range, even at F8 there is very little DOF so other than for distant landscapes with the foreground moved further away by shifting, there will always be a need to stack if sharpness is required throughout - and this will always be problematic because the lens breathes somewhat and it's very hard to keep the rig totally stable while charging focus.

The IQ4-150 is by far the most demanding piece of gear I have ever shot. It has no tolerance whatsoever for the slightest failing on my part.

These shots are favourite subjects and great ones with which to practice using new gear, since I have shot them with everything and know them inside out.

Greg Haag

Apple Park Visitor Center, Cupertino, CA

Apple just opened Apple Park Visitor Center at next to their massive Spaceship headquarter. It looks quite impressive when I visited so I drove back home (10min. drive) and grabbed my gears and take this image

IQ3-100, WRS1600, Rodie 32HR, 10mm shift up (down sensor), Stitched 10mm left and right shifted image.

Kinya

Beautiful image!

Jamgolf

So where is this taken?
I believe it's either Rattlesnake Canyon or an un-named canyon which is accessible only to the operators of 'Adventurous Antelope Canyon Photo Tours'.
Since the Antelope Canyon (which is accessible to several tour companies) was a fish market as usual, so much so the guides asked us if we would rather spend some time at a smaller and un-named canyon, to which I gladly agreed.
Single exposure, no exposure blending.

dchew

Well, after the Polar Vortex we got the Big Melt. Today it was 50 deg F, tomorrow 12...

The ice was still pretty thick around the edges. For some reason it felt like a "Leaning Tree at the Edge of the Frame" day.
:loco:

90hr-sw, about 10mm back fall:

90hr-sw, 2-image stitch (shift 18mm each way) then cropped to 3:1

Dave

ejpeiker

I believe it's either Rattlesnake Canyon or an un-named canyon which is accessible only to the operators of 'Adventurous Antelope Canyon Photo Tours'.
Since the Antelope Canyon (which is accessible to several tour companies) was a fish market as usual, so much so the guides asked us if we would rather spend some time at a smaller and un-named canyon, to which I gladly agreed.
Single exposure, no exposure blending.
It is Rattlesnake Canyon.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I've noticed that the generic thread in this forum is called "Fun with MF Images" whereas this thread is merely called "Technical Camera Images" - as if the use of a technical camera strips the fun out of it.

Not true.

Ive been having fun today - doing the photographers' equivalent of playing scales, i.e. practising technique so that it's there when I need it. So this was my first outing to try out scheimpflug using swing on IQ4-150 with Rodie/Alpa 40HR short barrel with swing/tilt adaptor mounted on my Alpa STC.

So the subject matter is dull but this is at F4 and the entire row of logs is in focus, whereas the right hand side of the frame is only in focus in the distance.

This sort of thing is made so much easier by the availability of focus mask in Live View, and of 100% focus zoom.

I didn't nail it 100% but it is 98% - and that's why we practise... so that when we manage to actually find interesting subject matter, it all goes well!

Boinger

Looks terrific to me. You picked a great day for the visit.
What do you think is lacking and needs improvement? :facesmack:
Thanks for the kind words. Yes we got lucky with the snow we were there for the whole weekend, and it snowed on the day we were leaving. I got this shot on the way out.

I am not sure what I can improve on, just aspiring to be better. Most of the other images I see here are amazing. Been trying to learn about post processing.

I generally only use the tech cam in the studio not in the field. I need a bit more practice becoming efficient with it and simply learning the way to use it properly. Very different way to shoot compared to a SLR.

Fredrick

Thanks for the kind words. Yes we got lucky with the snow we were there for the whole weekend, and it snowed on the day we were leaving. I got this shot on the way out.

I am not sure what I can improve on, just aspiring to be better. Most of the other images I see here are amazing. Been trying to learn about post processing.

I generally only use the tech cam in the studio not in the field. I need a bit more practice becoming efficient with it and simply learning the way to use it properly. Very different way to shoot compared to a SLR.
The image is fine, however there are a few things I would change - with regards to post-processing. There seems to be a bit too much midtone/highlight contrast. You also have an ever so slight magenta tint in the whites. I hope you don't mind me giving my 2 cents.

Boinger

The image is fine, however there are a few things I would change - with regards to post-processing. There seems to be a bit too much midtone/highlight contrast. You also have an ever so slight magenta tint in the whites. I hope you don't mind me giving my 2 cents.
yosemite.jpg

Does this one seem better?

Boinger

Boinger
So which tech cam, what lens, and which back, settings? Thanks.
Cambo Actus, Rodie 70 HR, Iq4 150, 4s / ISO 50 / f/8. Breakthrough ND filter used I think a 10 stop or a 3 stop not sure.

Wow, I agreed with Fredrick about the color correction, but after seeing the latest version, I'm not sure. I think I like the original better, even though you can see a magenta cast to the entire image. It gives it more depth and presence.
Could it be because I decreased the contrast as Fredrick stated? I changed the luma curve a bit.