The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

4*Paul

Stokksnes dunes towards Vestrahorn, Iceland.
Alpa STC + IQ3100 + Rodie 40mm. 1/25th f11 and 1 degree forward tilt. ISO 100
A much photographed location but the conditions are always changing and I loved the snow on the volcanic ash dunes.

Attachments

dchew

A much photographed location but the conditions are always changing and I loved the snow on the volcanic ash dunes.
Ha! Although I like your version much better, I know exactly what you mean about snow on the volcanic ash dunes. Wonderful image!

I don't know about you, but I had to heal out hundreds of birds that just looked like long skinny dust spots.

Dave

4*Paul

Ha! Although I like your version much better, I know exactly what you mean about snow on the volcanic ash dunes. Wonderful image!

I don't know about you, but I had to heal out hundreds of birds that just looked like long skinny dust spots.

Dave

Thanks Dave, we must have been standing on the same dune!
Weird that you should mention the long skinny dust spots, which I interpreted as bits of debris being blown off the mountain. I didn’t heal them though so, if this was at its native resolution, you would still see them in the clouds against the crags.
Either way, it’s fascinating to see stuff that was there at the time of capture but you can only see in post.
Paul.

ejpeiker

Dave

Great shot!
Just FYI - it's spelled with two k's and one s - Stokksnes :)

dave.gt

Cambo 1600 | Rodie 23 | IQ4.150 | f/9 | 15s | ISO 50
Greg,

That must be an amazing place. This and other images you have shared appear "Kodachrome-like". If all the world looked like this, would we be so jaded that nothing would be extraordinary?

This is indeed extraordinary, and I'm sure, good for the soul.:thumbs:

tcdeveau

Great shots Paul and Dave! The two times I’ve been to Iceland that spot was so rainy and cloudy you couldn’t even see the mountains :(

Sounds like a good excuse to get a back for my STC and make a third trip some day!
-Todd

dchew

Great shot!
Just FYI - it's spelled with two k's and one s - Stokksnes :)
Thanks EJ. I screw that up every time; no excuse based on the popularity of that location. I have an image of the Sólheimajökull Glacier - that took me a while to get right.

I think...

Dave

MrSmith

such an easy fix in PS, take a couple of exposures one after the other and then overlay them and change the upper layer modes to lighten. the birds will disappear.
if you think the camera may have moved slightly between exposures then change the layers above the background layer to difference mode and view at 100%, nudge the layer until the image goes black (apart form the birds as they are ‘different’ therefore will still show) do this one layer at a time.
would take 5mins even if you did a rough path along the edge of the mountain range.

Orley

The sense of guilt has been building for years as I enjoy the many inspiring images shared by members of the forum but have been reluctant to post any of my work. This photograph made at Englewood Beach, Florida that was captured with a Linhof Techno. What was interesting was the lack of flare with the 23mm. View attachment 139447

Attachments

drunkenspyder

Greg,

That must be an amazing place. This and other images you have shared appear "Kodachrome-like". If all the world looked like this, would we be so jaded that nothing would be extraordinary?

This is indeed extraordinary, and I'm sure, good for the soul.:thumbs:
Thanks for the good words Dave. I feel fortunate to see so many lovely places. And yes, there is probably a Kodachrome, sometimes even Ektachrome, “feel” to my work in post. I loved shooting with both back in the day, though I became a real sucker for Velvia, once I started traveling to the tropics. I suspect I am often unaware I am doing it in post. It’s why I try to make sure my wife vettes each image.

I hope I never become jaded about natural beauty.

dave.gt

Thanks for the good words Dave. I feel fortunate to see so many lovely places. And yes, there is probably a Kodachrome, sometimes even Ektachrome, “feel” to my work in post. I loved shooting with both back in the day, though I became a real sucker for Velvia, once I started traveling to the tropics. I suspect I am often unaware I am doing it in post. It’s why I try to make sure my wife vettes each image.

I hope I never become jaded about natural beauty.
The pastels are simply stunning for me... your wife apparently does a wonderful vetting by the way. Slide film is part of my acquired DNA having used it for decades and returning to it now, via acquiring old film stocks and now using the new E100. The old 120 slide films are wonderful to use in the H camera.

Jaded? Not you! The Kodachrome/Ektachrome look has become a filter for your eyes to see through. And I have also noticed a little Velvia influence in there, too. :thumbup:

drunkenspyder

I posted a similar image last year from this session, but recently came across this shot taken about six minutes earlier and at 40x slower shutter speed. I prefer this one:

Cambo 1600 | Rodie 40 | Trichro | f/11 | 5s | ISO 35

Geoff

Just such a lovely image - mystery of the cloud to the mountain offset by a foreground that works to engage.

4*Paul

Just such a lovely image - mystery of the cloud to the mountain offset by a foreground that works to engage.
Many thanks for your very generous comment Geoff.
We strive to take better photographs for our own satisfaction but it is particularly gratifying when others like like them as well.
Paul.