The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

dchew

Spent some time in Yosemite with The Usual Suspects, plus a few days with William Neill. I cannot say enough about him and the experience. Anyone who has the opportunity to spend some time with him in the field should seriously consider it; he is a wonderful person and such a master.

Here are a few blue and golds from the first day. The classic bend in the river, sk60xl with no movements. A little tight on the bottom but I found another I will work up that gives the reflection a little more space:

This is just West of Swinging Bridge. sk60xl, 2-image stitch with a small crop:

Dave

tsjanik

Spent some time in Yosemite with The Usual Suspects, plus a few days with William Neill. I cannot say enough about him and the experience. Anyone who has the opportunity to spend some time with him in the field should seriously consider it; he is a wonderful person and such a master..................

Dave
Very nice Dave, in particular the second shot. What a great time of year to be there. I was at a print workshop with Charlie Cramer last November. Perfect conditions, but a little more crowded than I expected that late in the year.

dchew

Very nice Dave, in particular the second shot. What a great time of year to be there. I was at a print workshop with Charlie Cramer last November. Perfect conditions, but a little more crowded than I expected that late in the year.
Thank you, Tom. The weather was too nice! Big Blue Sky days, so lots of backlit tree images. It was a bit crowded, but the good news is we saw Charlie, Kevin Raber, Jeff Schewe, obviously William Neill and several others. The only places that were tripod city were the classic bridges and the usual Tunnel view / Valley view.

On the way out of the park I took what is probably my favorite image of the trip, right along the road. It still needs some work; I like the too-late feeling heightened by the overall blue shadow. sk90 N with ~7mm back fall:

I even got a sunset by myself at Olmstead point! Gotta work on the halos from lifting shadows. sk90 N, two-image stitch:

Dave

PS: If anyone is interested in seeing more, here is a collection:
https://www.davechewphotography.com/galleries/yosemite-2019/

Last edited:

tsjanik

Thank you, Tom. The weather was too nice! Big Blue Sky days, so lots of backlit tree images. It was a bit crowded, but the good news is we saw Charlie, Kevin Raber, Jeff Schewe, obviously William Neill and several others. The only places that were tripod city were the classic bridges and the usual Tunnel view / Valley view. ......

On the way out of the park I took what is probably my favorite image of the trip, right along the road. It still needs some work; I like the too-late feeling heightened by the overall blue shadow. sk90 N with ~7mm back fall:.................
I see why you like that image; it reminds me of something I might expect from Guy Tal, whose photos I greatly admire. A very nice series from your trip. I am sometimes disappointed with my own images when I visit such iconic places. There is so much overwelming beauty that I find it hard to focus on one aspect and I guess I have the expectation of too many wonderful shots from such locations.
You did see a remarkable number of famous names from the photographic world. My trip last year I met Charlie of course, along with Henry Wilhelm and Michael Frye, but that's it.

Tom

Smoothjazz

I like the trees in black and white- it speaks to me...

Thank you, Tom. The weather was too nice! Big Blue Sky days, so lots of backlit tree images. It was a bit crowded, but the good news is we saw Charlie, Kevin Raber, Jeff Schewe, obviously William Neill and several others. The only places that were tripod city were the classic bridges and the usual Tunnel view / Valley view.

On the way out of the park I took what is probably my favorite image of the trip, right along the road. It still needs some work; I like the too-late feeling heightened by the overall blue shadow. sk90 N with ~7mm back fall:

I even got a sunset by myself at Olmstead point! Gotta work on the halos from lifting shadows. sk90 N, two-image stitch:

Dave

PS: If anyone is interested in seeing more, here is a collection:
https://www.davechewphotography.com/galleries/yosemite-2019/

kimyeesan

Cambo Actus G + Sigma FP
GuoZh WTS 17mm f/4

3 Image stitch
It's a pity I can't put the the tripod on the bridge to avoid the CCTV camera on the left, as my tripod leg is too thin (0 series) and it will fall through the gap. Shanghai loves to use perforated grill as their floor material in public space... I wonder why, first it's incredible uncomfortable to walk on, not stable, and secondly, if you drop your stuff and if it's small, it's gone forever down whatever space that is underneath it. Terrible choice.

kimyeesan

The FP looks like an ideal camera with the Actus. How are you finding the camera in general and the electronic shutter in particular?
It is excellent as a alternative 'digital back' The form factor is very good, and the ES is also extremely useful. However, I don't think they have LENR available so you get some hot pixel when doing long exposure sometimes. I have only had 1 image that has this issue. All you need to do is to remap the camera again that can be done in camera.
The ES is extremely good to use. The low ISO6 is actually a frame averaging and it is not really usable in most situation for longer exposure.

The new Teal & Orange tone is very good, the image has some warm and cold tone to it. Quite nice, particularly good for sunrise/sunset photos.
Can't wait for the Foveon 20mp full frame, and hope that it will not be that much bigger form factor than this!!!

etrump

Beautiful Greg! I hope you back to this same spot in the past couple of weeks. The cypress color was really good this year and hung on for a while. Unfortunately I did not get the opportunity as the late change conflicted with my fall exhibition and subsequent flood of art orders. All I could do was engage in fits of jealousy. ;)

Caddo Lake State Park

IQ3100 Cambo 1600 Rodenstock HR90

View attachment 144770

pegelli

It's a pity I can't put the the tripod on the bridge to avoid the CCTV camera on the left, as my tripod leg is too thin (0 series) and it will fall through the gap.
Nice image and I find the CCTV camera only very mildly distracting. But I was wondering, if you bring 3 small triplex boards of 10x10 cm to stand your tripod legs on you could shoot from the bridge a little further forward (if the bridge doesn't vibrate too much due to traffic and/or pedestrians)

Greg Haag

Beautiful Greg! I hope you back to this same spot in the past couple of weeks. The cypress color was really good this year and hung on for a while. Unfortunately I did not get the opportunity as the late change conflicted with my fall exhibition and subsequent flood of art orders. All I could do was engage in fits of jealousy. ;)
Thank you Ed, I did not get back but really want to! Sounds like you had and excellent reason to miss. I want to stop in your Gallery sometime when I am in NW Arkansas and see your work in person. We are about to start a project in Bentonville, so maybe sometime over the next few months I can catch an exhibition if you having one next spring.
Thanks again,
Greg

vjbelle

It's very challenging to find photographic opportunities here which is why I travel. However I decided to visit Beal street which is one of the Memphis tourist attractions. This is one of the numerous colorful store fronts.

Cross posted in the Sony Forum.

Actus, Schneider 72mm Digitar, 10mm Rise, Sony A7R4

Cheers....

Victor

Attachments

Last edited:

vjbelle

Another example of the Sony with the Actus. I do hope this forum is open to any camera on a technical camera otherwise I think there should be a 'Global Technical Camera Images Forum'.

The Sony is an extremely competent camera on a technical camera and it has advantages over the 50s/r in that it has the latest sensor, more lens choices and the EVF for focus and viewing is far, far superior to anything that Fuji has to offer..... and yes I do own a 50s.

Actus, Schneider 72mm Digitar @f9, 10mm rise, shift 7mm LR, 2 shot for 1X1.

Cheers......

Victor

Attachments

Last edited:

Audii-Dudii

Another example of the Sony with the Actus. I do hope this forum is open to any camera on a technical camera otherwise I think there should be a 'Global Technical Camera Images Forum'.
I suspect most posting here will not want to dilute the purity of the medium-format forum by opening it up as you suggest. Which is fine by me, because I don't like to mix peanut butter and chocolate, either.

But as a fellow photographer who is likewise using Sony bodies with several technical cameras, I agree with you about starting a Global Technical Camera Images Forum (and perhaps even expanding it to include non-technical cameras using shift and tilt-shift lenses or regular lenses with shift and tilt-shift adapters) because there's a lot of useful information that can (and should!) be shared among fellow travelers and no good venue presently exists for doing so.

As things stand now, many posts relating to this subject blend in and/or get lost in the existing forums, hence go unnoticed.

Besides, what could it hurt? :)

jng

First shots and quick test of my newly acquired SK120 ASPH (sorry, Graham - they don't call me the fastest email gun in the west for nuthin'). The following is a two-row, four-image stitch: top row = +20mm y-shift and +/- 20mm x-shift and bottom row = -10mm y-shift and +/- 20mm x-shift, cropped to 16x9 to remove unwanted foreground. Was in a hurry under falling late afternoon light so neglected to shoot LCC files. For reference, the original file is 20,000 pixels wide (!!).

Butler Library - Columbia University in the City of New York

CF022989-92 two-row stitch-FrameShop.jpg

WRS1250 | IQ3100 | SK120 ASPH | f/11 | two-row stitch

Let's just say that I'm pretty happy all around... :angel:Special thanks to Andy Lerman for meeting me while I'm in NYC for the weekend and taking the time to let me put the lens through its paces before I pulled the trigger on the purchase.

John

P.S. Ken: Dante called to tell me to tell you that I'm in town for another day in case you want me to pick up Andy's 90 HRSW for you.:LOL: