Site Sponsors

Thread: H4D: lens error

Post Thanks / Like

H4D: lens error

I get some "Lens error" messages sometimes. I think the camera stops after approx 150-200 captures. I turn the camera off, remove battery, attach the battery back to the camera, power the camera, and continue to shoot.

1. I purchased the new camera and lens about a month ago from a dealer.
    2. I have the latest firmwares installed in the camera and the 40mpx back.
    3. I shoot in studio. I use True Focus button to capture a still model, then release the shutter. The lens is - a very sharp 100mm f2.2, I like it.

Is this a firmware bag or something else?

PS: I will call the dealer, but I will be glad to know what others say, too.

Regards
    Evgeny

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: H4D: lens error

I don't know what it is, but I had it last week many times. The normal suggestion is to clean the contacts. It didn't stop it for me but it us worth a try.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I shoot with a H4D50 for landscape, I change very often the lenses (mainly 28, 50 and 120).

I had a few times this problem, but maybe not more than 4 or 5 times. Is your lens well locked ? I know it sounds stupid but I noticed a few time that as the button to lock - unlock the lens is on the side of the camera, it happens that when you put it in a bag or on a table, the button is touched and the lens a bit unlock (so you have a "lens error").

Once, the lens even felt from the camera

Just my two cents

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Certainly not what I was doing, at one point I was getting it every one or two shots. I would take it off, and replace it all on the tripod.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerome View Post
    Is your lens well locked ? I know it sounds stupid but I noticed a few time that as the button to lock - unlock the lens is on the side of the camera, it happens that when you put it in a bag or on a table, the button is touched and the lens a bit unlock (so you have a "lens error").
    Jerome, that's important. I need to check, if the lens is well locked, before I start to shoot.
    Jeff, the contacts are clean in this new camera/lens.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

we had the same issue with one lens/camera combination. The lens worked flawlessly with three other bodies we tried so we initially suspected a body failure. In the end it turned out to be the shutter unit of the lens that was changed through Hasselblad without any charge. That was on a lens that was bought "new old stock", been in use for about a year and we did not expect it to be under warranty. I donŽt know where you are located, we found those Hasselblad guys here very helpful, so IŽd suggest to send your body/lens combination for check up. Your camera should work without any trouble, especially with that low number of actuations.
    I donŽt know why so many people advise cleaning contacts, that NEVER helped a single issue for us (keep your equipment clean with cap etc and avoid touching the contacts, my 2ct)
    Hope youŽre still under warranty, good luck!

Cheers, Ulf

Post Thanks / Like

Ulf, thanks for sharing your experience. I will ask the dealer to check/replace the lens.

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Our H4d/31 also had that message. I found that the way I was holding the camera actually pressed ever so lightly on the release button, not so much to release the lens itself, but perhaps enough to to warrant the message. I adjusted the way I held the camera and no more message. I don't think the contacts should be cleaned unless absolutely necessary, and being a new camera it should be clean already. Oddly enough, I kinda miss that camera, its files were beautiful and manageable- the 31MP's loved the resolving power of those fantastic shutter lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

The camera is truly superb.
    It provides everything I previously had in Contax 645, including all useful controls, good ergonomics, and more. The True Focus is fantastic, almost 100% of images are sharp.

The only things that worry me at this time is the "lens error" and lost connections when tethered to my Mac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I didn't get that message at all with my Hasselblad, but i have to watch this message once it will occur.
    Tareq