The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Moving up from 5DM2 to P1-65+

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
On the color issue I can't speak for Hassy but on Phase backs with the Dalsa sensor I use p40, p65 , iq 140 and iq 160 all the same sensor BTW the colors are very neutral which I really like. Now canon/ Nikon I hate which canon was always red toned base and Nikon green based. All this can be adjusted but in general shooting the Kodak sensors on many leicas,P25, P 45 and P 30 always had a tendency to be warm like the Hassy image above which many love that look. The Dalsa and Kodaks have a slightly different look neither one bad but different. I find my sensor at a pretty neutral color tone. That's the tendency but obviously you can work it anyway you want. That's what I have noticed over the years of shooting digital.

SHAY KEDEM

Guy, there is any technology inside the 645DF that equals or match "True Focus"?
BTW-your website is great!, love your work.

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

The IQ is great, yet i wonder if the skin tone at this photo is set to neutral. it seems to be a bit orange-tinted.
Reproduction of skin-tone is one of the most important issues for me as a fashion photographer, and white balance should be accurate as hell if i'm gonna spend big bucks for a pro-tool such as 645DF or Hasselblad.

Can anyone tell me how both systems dealing with skin tone reproductions and accurate zero-point WB?. (Please refer to Leaf, P1, Hass backs)

Another question - I've had demo with both systems (645DF + HASSY H4D), how critical is the "TRUE FOCUS" technology?, is there any equivalent tech inside the 645DF body?
Thanks again for this fabulous thread.
I agree with you, but she had a "sun" tan :D

I set the colour temp using a grey card. I think the skin is as I remember it and generally its very good out of camera without adjustment - but of course it is easy enough to tweak in Phocus. Only the Hassy has True Focus - an advanatge supposedly of the intgerated back / body / lens approach.

BTW, I love the desaturated look you have used too, something I am experimenting with.:thumbup:

Guy Mancuso

Guy, there is any technology inside the 645DF that equals or match "True Focus"?
BTW-your website is great!, love your work.
No true focus is a Hassy technology. People like it . The DF is fast and accurate but mostly center point . That is the current body but they are working on a new body. Rumor has it maybe even end of this year. I can't confirm that but I am pretty sure of this it will be digital based and not film based. Just don't repeat that. LOL

It's really all a well kept secret and no one really knows for sure, sort of like a iPhone 5 only worse. I actually like the DF but certainly could be better. If there is a so called weak link in the system that would be it. But I have no real issues focusing so I think
the grunts come from a experience level somewhat.

It's not perfect and I would be the first person to say it, the rest of the system is without warts though. you always want to buy a system based on the total parts of that system, obviously some parts will change but the system that does not. Either you buy into Phase or Hassy not just a lens or body. It's all that goes into it and there Is a mother load in both systems.

The nice thing is we users have a choice. We always want to have that.

kdphotography

.... The DF is fast and accurate but mostly center point . That is the current body but they are working on a new body. ..... I actually like the DF but certainly could be better. If there is a so called weak link in the system that would be it. ....
Actually Guy, imho, I think the real weak link is not so much the DF body, but the lack of a really kick-*** wide angle lens option for the DF. Sure I like my 35mm D, but I'm talking about a real eye-opener, ala Schneider LS or like the 150mm D lens at the wide focal length offerings. If it were a reality, I bet you'd be thinking twice about your tech cam...of course, that lens would probably cost the same as a technical camera. It's this wide angle kick-*** gap that makes cameras like Stefan Steib's Hartblei HCam B1 an eye-raiser...

Yeah, I want a Cambo WRS1050 too... Lots of variables, but it's all academic when your pocket book has already been exhausted for this year... ;)

ken

Guy Mancuso

Would not argue with you but they are all good just not tech cam good and main reason I bought a tech cam was for amazing wides

SHAY KEDEM

Today i went to my local P1-LEAF branch-dealer, and the deal has been sealed.
645DF + LEAF APTUS II - 8 (40MP), 80mm LS +mamiya 55 f/2.8.
I'm happy, thank you all for your advices and support, now it's the money time.
Time to move up.
Special thanks for Yair Shahar (Sorry it's not Yaron, i'm to tired) from LEAF LONDON for his advices.

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

You probably mean Yair Shahar :D. I'm probably buying the same kit plus a 120mm Macro soon (in Jerusalem), any chance I can call you?

Guy Mancuso

Shay we should delete your number as a million scammers will probably call you. Let me know and I can wipe it

Ben Rubinstein

I've called Shay already so probably fine to delete it, it's on his website anyway and I've FB'd him so that I can stalk him there if necessary! :D:D

That said it would probably cost a fortune for the scammers to call an Israeli cell phone, might be good for a laugh... :ROTFL::ROTFL:

Ben Rubinstein

Thoughts, particularly from Jack as he mentions the lens in his write up on Mamiya lenses, if I'm rarely going to be using the 55mm is the LS worth the extra? it's one heck of a lot of extra! On the other hand it's going to be used for large documents, murals and artwork.

Guy Mancuso

Thoughts, particularly from Jack as he mentions the lens in his write up on Mamiya lenses, if I'm rarely going to be using the 55mm is the LS worth the extra? it's one heck of a lot of extra! On the other hand it's going to be used for large documents, murals and artwork.
It's a awesome lens but remember all wides have barrel distotation. C1 will correct for it but for shooting artwork you want to be careful with it. 80 and above would more suited for artwork . That said it's one of my most favored lenses and I have a amazing copy of it . Ben if you are going with the crop sensor your not going to have to worry about corners. A 45d and the 55d might be just fine and cheaper. If your after a look than go LS as these have a nice tonal transition in them. Great for people.

Ben Rubinstein

Guy, I'm wondering about this. Crop sensor and all shooting will be at a minimum f8-f11. Money is tight, very tight as they just turned the whole project round on me today drastically (I was just going to go for the RZ but now they want me to manage a team using the thing not just myself but more to the point they want me to have shot a million delicate pages within two years and I have to find the money for the data storage somewhere as well!). I was thinking, I dont think I need the 55LS, I'll be using it very rarely to be honest so the ultra cheap regular 55mm should do. However perhaps I should be saving on the 80mm and getting the D instead? Shot stopped down and using C1 will I really see $3K or so difference? I still want the 120mm D as apparently only the newer version has focus confirm on the camera eventhough it's manual focus and if I'm to train others to use the system I want as much handholding as I can get to be honest. Unless even the older 120mm will have in body focus confirm?

Guy Mancuso

You don't need the LS either with the 80D being stopped down will be fine and BTW its a damn nice lens anyway, actually underrated. Do get the 120 as it will obviously be the best copy lens in this system. Get a 55D but the only issue with it is there is no manual focus clutch which can be a PITA you have to switch the bottom left switch on the body to M. Honestly I would stretch a touch and get the 45D which has the clutch its not cheap but you will be happier for it. Since your saving on LS you should stay within a nice budget range. Here is what they look like and be looking for . Obviously the 120 and 80D you can get used pretty easily. The 45D will be a tougher one to find used. Now in all honesty I would never buy another lens without the clutch but have to remember i am one of those fast shooters that does PR stuff a lot and you a wedding guy and I know your going to sneak this in your workflow LOL

So think dual purpose here and you will be fine with this kit doing a wedding gig as well so no worries . You know I owned this sensor in the P40+ and you guys are going to be thrilled with it. This back should shoot fast and give you wonderful clean images. Now not sure but ask Yair if there is a compressed raw mode Ben. That is something you may want to look at in Phase we call it S mode and not sure if Leaf has the same or not my bet they do. That will save you a ton of space.

http://www.captureintegration.com/store/lenses/