The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"old Mamiya AF 2.8 / 80mm compared to 2.8 / 80 mm D

volkerhopf

Hi,
I want to buy an AF 80mm 2.8 lens for my Mamiya 645 AFD / ZD. Has anybody had a chance to compare the 2 AF versions? Is the "D" version $600.00 better? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers
Volker

yaya

Hi,
I want to buy an AF 80mm 2.8 lens for my Mamiya 645 AFD / ZD. Has anybody had a chance to compare the 2 AF versions? Is the "D" version $600.00 better? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers
Volker
I've been using the non-D one for 6 years without any issues and with great results, with digital backs from 6MP to 33MP. I now have a D and other than feeling a bit chunkier and having the AF "clutch" on the barrel, there is no apparent difference in the performance between these two lenses.

The D has a new chip in it which presumably will be used in the future for software-based enhancements

Hope this helps

Yair

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
They are very, very close. If anything, I would say the new lens shows a tad less fall-off at f2.8 and perhaps a bit more contrast, but we are talking small differences. The new lens uses 67mm filters which I found annoying since the old version used 58's and most of the other primes use either 58's or 77's; only the zooms were 67... So factor in another filter or ring adaptor... On the upside, I really like new build quality (huge improvement) and the AF clutch is really nice to have on the lens for quick switches to manual focus...

To answer your question, if buying both new, I would say the new version is worth the $600 additional...

Cheers,

Dale Allyn

Jack or Yair, do you find that the focus ring during manual focus is less "free wheeling" than the old version? I mean does it turn with a bit of comfortable resistance in manual focus mode?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the new lens definitely has a better "feel" (some resistance) in manual focus mode...

volkerhopf

Thank you very much for your comments Yair and Jack. Since i live on a tight budget I will go for the old one based on your experiences.
Best regards
Volker

Dale Allyn

Thank you, Jack. Though I've not any had focus mishaps that I've noticed with the older model, it does feel as if it will move if gently bumped so I check if often. It would benefit from a bit of dampening in the manual mode for me to feel a bit more confident while making other adjustments. It's good to know that the new model addresses this.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have not tested the two against each other but I do like the new one better. It seems optically better also but without a side by side i will not force the issue. It seems better though from shooting it and that is fine with me. They both are very sharp lenses.

Dale Allyn

Guy and Jack,

Maybe I should send my 80mm to one of you when I return to Thailand (in October) so that you might compare it next to your new 80 "D". That's assuming I don't take the Mamiya, which is not likely. It would be fun to see some comparisons. I "assume" the new one to be better, but I would think that many would benefit from information of how they differ.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Dale but I can get Lance to ship the old 80mm to us to test out if folks want to see the difference or i can do it in Florida at the workshop also.

Dale Allyn

Guy, it's nothing urgent to me, but a curiosity. I'll likely upgrade mind to the new version, but if the optical difference is barely visible, if at all, I'll likely save those dollars for a lens like the 45-90mm, etc. first.

If someone gets them together sometime I'd be curious how side-by-side samples look.

Cheers.

John Black

I'm having a difficult time justifying the purchase just for the AF / MF clutch. As nice as that would be, it's an expensive "upgrade". Also, it's unclear if the ZD camera needs a firmware update or not. If it does (a trip to Osaka), then I'll pass. Of course, that's all subject to change if the new 80mm clearly surpasses the original.

Guy Mancuso

For me just the clutch alone is worth it . I hate my 55mm because it does not have it but the darn thing is sharp as a tac. The Mac group should be able to handle any firmware update I would think. Something to check on for sure but the ZD is sold under Mamiya as far as i know.

Guy Mancuso

I would start here John

Where to send repairs
Mamiya Medium Format camera, lens, and accessory repairs may be sent directly to our national service headquarters: Mamiya America Corporation, 8 Westchester Plaza, Elmsford, NY 10523. Phone: 914-347-3300 , Fax: 800-321-2205
Repaired equipment is subject to a 90 day limited warranty, covering only re-repair if necessary and not consequential damages. See general statement regarding limited warranty.

John Black

I've already tried Mac Group and spoke with the Service Manager. Since the ZD was never introduced in the U.S. market, there is no local support for it.