The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Firmware upgrade for H4D40 & 50 Owners

Stan Lawrence

I'm looking forward to the upgrade, I'm really enjoying (as are my clients) the H4D 40. Currently using the 35-90, just need to find a 150 and I'm set....

fotografz

Actually, quite a while ago Hasselblad did say the higher resolution screen would be available for the H4D/40 and 50 ... as well as the 60, but then it was never discussed again. In fact, afterward it was sort of implied that the high res screen wouldn't be forthcoming for the 40 and 50 which swung my decision to go for the H4D/60 over the 50 M/S.

No matter, the 60 is more than enough, and I do like the Dalsa sensor characteristics for the work I tend to do.

-Marc

ghoonk

Talk about bad timing. I just sold my 645AFD II / Aptus 65 for a H4D-31! No firmware upgrade for me then.

Sigh.

MartinE

Just wondering as we are talking dates if David has any idea about the next release of Phocus mobile. Thank you

Iskander

Are there any H4D-60 user, who can confirm, that the higher screen resolution is a remarkable improvement?
Or: What can I expect from my upgraded H4D-40 in December?

Michael

fotografz

Are there any H4D-60 user, who can confirm, that the higher screen resolution is a remarkable improvement?
Or: What can I expect from my upgraded H4D-40 in December?

Michael
Depends on your definition of "remarkable" Michael. Personally, I'd reserve that descriptive term for the Phase One IQ LCDs.

The previous screen was 230,000 pixels and is now a 460,320 pixel TFT 24 bit color display with a large viewing angle. Thus the "double res" moniker. This is still less than 1/2 the resolution of the new Phase IQ 160 back that's comparable to the H4D/60.

In practice, it used to be somewhat difficult to evaluate exposure levels, and zooming in for focus check was less than ideal ... the LCD was not a very good indication of what you would see when opening the file.

It is now much better and the impression of what the image will look like is closer ... the focus check is obviously going to be better at twice the resolution, but not a 100% indication because it doesn't show the effects of sharpening you'd do in Phocus. However, it is much better ... like twice as good ;)

-Marc